Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Peeved
kayla 08:44 AM 02-29-2012
Ok so my difficult mom was not here by 9:30, I call her to ask if dcb would be here today. She did not answer so I left a voicemail asking if he was coming and if she could return my call. Well she did not she shows up at 10 I said oh you didnt get my message?? (which im sure she did). She says no and tries to change the subject about the weather. I said ok well lets talk about schedule she changes the subject again. Her child is so fussy she keeps saying oh he must be hungry.. Umm excuse me my contract states breakfast is at 8 and lunch is 11 so she should have fed him... Also she brings me a schedule that says wed-7 well its wed she was obviously not here by 7... What do I have to do??? Right now I cant terminate her because after all the terminating I have done lately I only have him full time. My other kiddos are all part timers... Im going to talk to her this after noon about it when she picks him up but i know she is going to argue with me... I am soo frustrated and don't know why she thinks she is entitled to act like this... I have rules and regulations she is obviously not following any of them... Help?!?!?
cheerfuldom 08:58 AM 02-29-2012
If you are not willing to terminate a parent that is breaking rules, you have basically given up your power to this parent. Obviously she is not going to change until you turn her away from the door whenever she comes outside of scheduled times....that includes late drop offs
Blackcat31 09:02 AM 02-29-2012
You need to speak to her as you would a child.

Do NOT allow her to change the subject

TELL her that the child missed breakfast and she either needs to feed him before drop off or take him back home and feed him

TELL her to give you a schedule and do NOT let her leave until she does.

TELL her she MUST drop off as scheduled or don't bother coming at all.

If you do not say the actual words, she will never do what it is you want her to do.

Once you tell her, you HAVE to enforce those rules or she will again, continue behaving as she does because just like a child they will NEVER change their behvavior if there are no consequences and you continue letting them (her) do as she wishes.

Until you actually enforce your rules, your words are only background static in her little world.
Ariana 09:37 AM 02-29-2012
Yes there definately has to be consequences for this behavior. If you aren't able to terminate I would set up a meeting with here where "changing the subject" won't be an option. I would also write up an agreement outlining your rules, that she has to sign and attach a hefty fine for not following those rules. When she comes to your home during a time that was NOT mutually agreed upon DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR. Once she realizes she's stuck she won't ever do it again.

I completely understand that losing this parent might be a problem financially for you but in all honesty you have to be willing to let her go when you set down these rules. I would try and find a replacement asap.
countrymom 09:45 AM 02-29-2012
don't worry sometimes you have to go thru a bunch of awful parents till you find the good ones.
daycare 09:48 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
don't worry sometimes you have to go thru a bunch of awful parents till you find the good ones.
BINGO..... over time you will learn how to better interview the parents when they come to you.

BUT Having the bad ones helped me to build my backbone and now I have great parents. I am actually happy that I had bad parents. Taught me what I did NOT want to have at my daycare...
kayla 10:12 AM 02-29-2012
Oh yes I a planning to run my ad for awhile, posting fliers, I would like to fill the spot before i get rid of her but i know that may not be possible...I will try my hardest i just cannot handle dealing with her or her attitude so when i talk to her this evening and she doesnt shape up i will give her notice as well... I cant wait for her to go to someone thats been in the biz for awhile and dont take any of her crap... She again said that word this morning... why dont ppl get it if you cant refrain from cursing dont enter my home where there are other children here... ughhh
countrymom 10:18 AM 02-29-2012
can you put a sign on your front yard, thats how I get my kids. Once people found out that I was running a daycare, then people knew my house and would refer others to it. don't forget libraries and call schools too.
kayla 10:21 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
can you put a sign on your front yard, thats how I get my kids. Once people found out that I was running a daycare, then people knew my house and would refer others to it. don't forget libraries and call schools too.
I do need to get a sign up I had one but it looked tacky... I want to get a nice one put up though I think it would be perfect in my neighborhood... Filled with families over here... Ill go by the libraries, What do I say to the school when I call them???
countrymom 11:21 AM 02-29-2012
ask the schools if they have a newsletter and see if you can advertise. Ask the secretary if you can have your name on file if someone needs daycare. Also, go to community centers and put up flyers, but make your flyers stand out (colored paper) go to kid activities, my kids are involved in alot of activities, and my van has my logo so everyone knows I run a daycare.
Reply Up