Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Milestones In Daycare
AfterSchoolMom 05:26 AM 02-29-2012
Do you tell the family or keep it to yourself?

I've always kept silent whenever a baby does something (rolling over, sitting up, etc.) for the first time while at my house. As far as I'm concerned, the "first" time they do things is at home with Mom and Dad and the video camera rolling, as it should be.

What do you all think?
SunshineMama 05:33 AM 02-29-2012
I let them have their "firsts" at home too.

One of my dcb's started crawling the first week he was here. I told the mom that friday that I thought that he was about to start crawling and she looked at me and said, "You think so? I don't think he will crawl- he is going to go straight to walking." I said ok and smiled to myself. They came the next monday and announced "We have a crawler!" They were so proud. I am glad I didnt say anything- the parents feel guilty enough about having to leave their children all day in daycare to go to work. I let them have their special moments.
Sunchimes 05:51 AM 02-29-2012
I don't tell either. A friend of mine who has been a nanny longer than some of you guys have been on the earth told me to never be the first to see a special moment.

It didn't work so well the day my dcg met her mom at the gate, standing up for the first time. Well, it wasn't her first time that day, but the first time she had seen it.
SilverSabre25 05:56 AM 02-29-2012
Secret!!!!!

Heck, I'm trying very hard to keep my son's first steps secret from my DH! He seemed genuinely hurt that DD walked about ten minutes before he got home...to this day he brings it up now and then. DS started standing alone for long (5+ seconds anyway, lol) stretches yesterday and took one complete step (his first! But it doesn't "count") and i'm not telling DH if I can help it.

It's hard, lol.
nannyde 06:00 AM 02-29-2012
I tell them at the interview that I don't tell them about any first EXCEPT for rolling over. Rolling over is a huge safety issue with both awake and sleep time for the baby... especially the first week of it with sleep. (higher liklihood of SIDS during the first week on the tummy sleeping)

Other than that.. I do not ever tell firsts.
AfterSchoolMom 06:50 AM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I tell them at the interview that I don't tell them about any first EXCEPT for rolling over. Rolling over is a huge safety issue with both awake and sleep time for the baby... especially the first week of it with sleep. (higher liklihood of SIDS during the first week on the tummy sleeping)

Other than that.. I do not ever tell firsts.
Nannyde, that's something I hadn't considered, and it's the rolling that prompted this thread. Hmm. Maybe I could tell them that the baby "seems to be getting very close" and that they should keep a careful eye out?
KBCsMommy 09:34 AM 02-29-2012
I wish you would have posted this last week!

My little dcg did a few crawls last week, so I called her mom, mom started crying at work I felt so bad.

I should never have told her because baby girl would have crawled that night at home.

NEVER AGAIN will I tell if a child has a first at my house!
renodeb 09:39 AM 02-29-2012
If its a first time parent then yes, the first time is always at home but I have found that by the time the second and third kid rolls around the parents are cool with me telling them. I hate keeping quiet about stuff like that but it does preserve the parents feelings.
Debbie
Breezy 09:43 AM 02-29-2012
The only thing I tell is rolling because they need to keep an extra eye out for sleeping (rolling onto tummy) and on changing table, couch, etc.
Soupyszoo 10:09 AM 02-29-2012
I never thought about it before. I'm always so excited when the babies reach those milestones! I will keep them all to myself from now on. I can see how that might hurt someone's feelings!
kayla 10:17 AM 02-29-2012
Those milestones are my favorite part of the job... teaching babys to walk is awesome.... I love it!!!! Yeah I dont tell the parents either... Especially the fact that one of my dcb once called my dh dadda for his first word( he has a single mom) I knew it would have broke her heart...
Reply Up