Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suckers And Pop Tarts For Breakfast????
Mrs.H 06:46 AM 11-01-2013
I have two little ones that just started with me part time. For breakfast their mom packs koolaid, pop tarts, and fruit loops......this morning they both walked in with with suckers! I am big on simple healthy food, and serve lots of fruit and veggies for snacks and lunch but I don't provide breakfast. Most of the other kids bring yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, ect. What would you do? Serve the unhealthy breakfast and deal with the sugar rushes and bad behaviour or throw it out and serve something healthier at your expense? How would you address this issue with the parents? Can I really tell them what to feed their kids? I get the feeling we have very different ideas about nutrition.
itlw8 06:52 AM 11-01-2013
toss the suckers, tell mom no Koolaid is allowed... not sure where you can go from there except provide breakfast.... Check the yogerts sugar level also. Most parents buy the kids stuff full of sugar. Maybe make a list of suitable breakfast foods to bring.... oh that instant oatmeal in the packets is also loaded with sugar and artificial flavors.
hope 06:58 AM 11-01-2013
Be honest. Tell dcm that you like to serve kids low sugar, healthy meals. Give her examples of some breakfast ideas and assure her that the kids will eat it.
The public schools in my district send home a list of appropriate snacks and all others (high sugar items or junk food) are sent home. Don't feel bad or judgy, the parents will need to feed their children appropriately at some time.
KSDC 07:02 AM 11-01-2013
Personally, I don't let kids bring food from home. My families either feed their munchkins at home or eat what I provide.
itlw8 07:13 AM 11-01-2013
This got me curious so I did a little looking.
1 pop tart 17 grams sugar
eggos cinnamon toast 17 grams
eggos plain 2 grams sugar with syrup 35 grams sugar
cheerios 1 gram
trix 12 grams
cereal bar 14 grams sugar
granola bar 25 grams
yogurt fruit flavored 30 grams sugar
muffin 32 grams
smoothies in the hundreds of grams of sugars
instant oatmeal 13 grams

so really the pop tart is no worse than the instant oatmeal and far better than the yogurt that one really surprised me I served it all the time to the dgks and thought it was healthy..it is dessert from now on.
coolconfidentme 10:56 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by KSDC:
Personally, I don't let kids bring food from home. My families either feed their munchkins at home or eat what I provide.
Same here. They walk in with food, I ask the mom to please take it, it's in the policy!
KSDC 11:18 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
This got me curious so I did a little looking.
so really the pop tart is no worse than the instant oatmeal and far better than the yogurt that one really surprised me I served it all the time to the dgks and thought it was healthy..it is dessert from now on.
Which is why I don't serve the instant oatmeal packs here. I make it from scratch, it really doesn't take too much longer and I control how much and what kind of extras are added.

Also, some of those numbers vary a lot from brand to brand. Some yogurts have more sugar that others. Some muffins are healthier and some are just a cupcake. Gotta read the labels. (My reading glasses.)
cheerfuldom 11:40 AM 11-01-2013
I am confused why mom is packing breakfast? Do all the parents do that at your daycare? Is there a reason why they cannot eat breakfast at home?

So you don't offer breakfast included in your weekly rate correct?
Reply Up