Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Questions
Heather_Allen 05:40 PM 03-12-2011
I have a job interview on Monday @ a child care center. I have two questions my first is what should I wear? I am interviewing for a teacher's assistant. I have an Associate's Degree and I am working on my bachelors degree in education.
My phone interview went well and the lady asked me if all went well on Monday would I start that day. I don't want to be over dressed if I do start and I live an hour away.
I also have another question. Here's my story. I do not have anything on my background that I know of. I got in trouble almost a year ago because my ex boyfriend placed stolen things in my car and all of the people In my car was brought to jail. The charges on he and his friend were dropped for lack of evidence. I was never brought to court but this is still a "pending" charge . Since I was not with him when the incident took place the lawyer (my lawyer) is trying to get this taken off my record but the process has been taking a long time. I want to be honest with my (hopefully) future employeer and not lie since it may show up . How should I approach this and discuss this with them. Let me say I have never been in any kind of trouble before this incident occured!
Abigail 06:49 PM 03-12-2011
When your future place of employment checks your record, they look for felony's (which i'm assuming your situation is not a felony because you would know) and they also should run a child abuse and neglect background check. I wouldn't mention it unless you feel it will directly affect you. I would have mentioned something on the phone perhaps. Will you be driving the children anywhere? They will do a driving record check to make sure you didn't have violations there.

You said it was an hour away.....are you willing to drive an hour to and from work everyday? That's a long ways for me, wow! I would wear something comfortable and nothing revealing or anything that a child might ruin. We normally do T-Shirts and Jeans with Tennis Shoes. NO high-heels--you can't play with kids in those. We are also advised to not wear T-Shirts with logos and brand names on them, but it happens once in awhile. I would go with a black or brown jeans with a nicer shirt for the interview.
Heather_Allen 11:28 AM 03-13-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
When your future place of employment checks your record, they look for felony's (which i'm assuming your situation is not a felony because you would know) and they also should run a child abuse and neglect background check. I wouldn't mention it unless you feel it will directly affect you. I would have mentioned something on the phone perhaps. Will you be driving the children anywhere? They will do a driving record check to make sure you didn't have violations there.

You said it was an hour away.....are you willing to drive an hour to and from work everyday? That's a long ways for me, wow! I would wear something comfortable and nothing revealing or anything that a child might ruin. We normally do T-Shirts and Jeans with Tennis Shoes. NO high-heels--you can't play with kids in those. We are also advised to not wear T-Shirts with logos and brand names on them, but it happens once in awhile. I would go witet h a black or brown jeans with a nicer shirt for the interview.
This charge is a pending felony theft , My driving record is clean and I have not been in any other trouble. The charges are still "pending" and showing up as such. We have a lawyer who is trying to get this taken off my record because I have never been in trouble , and It has been almost a year and they have never brought it to court because there was not enough evidence. , and yes I do need to drive almost an hour. I live in the country and Baton Rouge and Lafayette are the closest cities, both are 45 minutes to an hour away, so I really don't have much of a choice. I had planned on wearing a nice pair of capri's and a button up shirt or a solid colored t shirt and tennis , do you think that would be sufficient?
Pammie 11:52 AM 03-13-2011
Originally Posted by Heather_Allen:
I had planned on wearing a nice pair of capri's and a button up shirt or a solid colored t shirt and tennis , do you think that would be sufficient?

I'd personally go with the button-up shirt with your capris and maybe a pair of comfortable (a little dressier) slip-on shoes instead of the sneakers. You want to look professional, but also be comfortable if you're going to be working with the children.
Good luck with the interview!
Cat Herder 12:16 PM 03-13-2011
For about $25 you can go to your local sheriffs dept and run a criminal records check on yourself. It is a quick fingerprint and they should hand it to you in about 15 minutes.

Some dept. are understaffed/underfunded so I also recommend calling to see when they are best able to do a fingerprint criminal records check

This may save you the humiliation of going through the interview process if it does show up. Then, once it clears you can begin your search in this field again before word gets out. You can say you have strep and need to reshedule

It is a small sub-culture and word speads fast.... Remember it is a field dominated by women...

Please understand I am not intending to scare you, only give you a bit more control of your situation and future...

Oh, BTW, I recommend pressed slacks and a fully buttoned up blouse, minimal makeup, no perfume, large jewelry or fake fingernails. I looked for those things on the other side of that desk..... Silence your cell phone and leave your friends/relatives at home or you may be dead in the water...
Heather_Allen 01:44 PM 03-13-2011
I had an online background check preformed and nothing showed up, but my uncle who is a police officer ran one for me and it showed up as pending. I am not sure why it showed up on one and not the other and that is why I was confused wether to bring it up or not. I wanted to mention it in the interview because she already said she will be sending me to get the fingerprints/background check immediatly after the interview because the center needs someone to start immeditaly. The online background check was preformed less than a month ago for care.com through Aixiam security.

Thank you for the advice about the dress pants, all I have or really dressy heals . I think I may just throw my tennis shoes in the car with me so I don't have any issues with that. I worked in a professional office before so most of my clothes and shoes are geared towards that type of enviroment. I just did not want to be overdressed! And seem unaproachable by the children!
Cat Herder 02:03 PM 03-13-2011
Yeah, the online background checks are from a "for-profit" company generated from public records.

Employers will take the one from the Sheriffs office since that is what they are required to have on file for the State Licensor on each employee.

That is why I feel it would behoove you to go do one yourself, before she sends you, to see what it will say.

If it says "Felony Pending" no amount of training or explanation will negate that, IMHO. It is just Business Risk Management, not a personal judgment.

It can't hurt to save your professional reputation, now, while it is being worked out, and do something else for a bit longer if that report indeed indicates a Possible Felony.

In the end it is your decision.... Good luck, I hope it all works out quickly for you!
Heather_Allen 02:36 PM 03-13-2011
Thank You, but I really do not have any money to run one on myself. That's why I am trying to find a job now I have not worked in almost a year because I was concentrating on my Degree. While I do agree that I need to run the check it is just not fiesable, I had to borrow money just for gas to the interview! I think I will just let her know the circumstances during the interview and explain what steps are being taken at this time. I leave it up to the director , and go from there. IMHO, I will just see what she say's after all there is no harm in trying right?
momatheart 07:02 PM 03-13-2011
I work in a center and if you don't think directors talk to each other from other daycare centers your mistaken. Not to scare you but they may pass your name around like wild fire. I would call and reschedual if I were you until this is dropped from your background checks.
kidkair 04:02 AM 03-14-2011
Just be upfront and honest. If she doesn't hire you because of it then you don't have a job and have to wait for it to clear before going for another daycare job. If she passes your name around to other directors hopefully she'll also pass along that you were honest about it and didn't try to hide it. It might hinder you now but the truth is always better than hiding something.
Heather_Allen 07:33 PM 03-14-2011
Thank You ladies, I was honest about the charge and gave her the information I had. She hired me and i started today. She said since this "charge" was not dealing with children and she had the necessary info it would be on a trial basis. All she asked was that I bring the lawyers information and a letter from the DA's office so she could have it for her files, in case of any problems! I'm estatic and thank you all!
Abigail 07:57 PM 03-14-2011
Thank You ladies, I was honest about the charge and gave her the information I had. She hired me and i started today. She said since this "charge" was not dealing with children and she had the necessary info it would be on a trial basis. All she asked was that I bring the lawyers information and a letter from the DA's office so she could have it for her files, in case of any problems! I'm estatic and thank you all!
CONGRATS ON THE JOB!!!!
How long was your interview?
What questions did she ask you?
Did she interview you around the children or in a separate office?

When I think back to my really short interview....I pretty much introduced myself and sat the the small children's table to fill out the papers while I was talking. I didn't have an official face to face interview mostly because I probably talked her ear off on the phone. A few days later I got a call with a cleared background check to work around children and started right away as well.
Candyland 09:01 PM 03-14-2011
Yay!!! I'm so glad for you! How was your first day?
QualiTcare 09:37 PM 03-14-2011
i'm really glad you got the job. lots of employers won't look past a record and it's a shame - good for her, and you!
Cat Herder 05:30 AM 03-15-2011
Congratulations

I really hope it all works out for you.
SilverSabre25 05:38 AM 03-15-2011
Yay! I'm sure that's a huge weight off your shoulders and I wish you luck in your new job!
Little People 07:09 AM 03-15-2011
Congratulations Let us know how you like your new job!!
SandeeAR 07:17 AM 03-15-2011
Congrats! Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.
Heather_Allen 06:46 PM 03-15-2011
The first day went well. It's not the age group I wanted , but I will be with the two year olds from 1pm to 6pm. I will be coming in at 10 to assist with lunch and from 12-1 I sit in the one year old class while their teacher takes lunch! I get off between 6:15 and 6:30. At 5:30 I have all the children that are left except for the three and four year olds which is my favorite age group. I had a blast with the children but we have a few who aren't potty trained yet! And the best thing is we get to wear scrubs lol I love that!
Pammie 03:04 AM 03-16-2011
Congratulations of the new job!! I'm glad that being honest worked for you - I always think that's the best policy anyway

Wishing you the best!!
Tags:interview, interview - questions
Reply Up