Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Gifts?
Ariana 12:19 PM 11-09-2011
Do you give the kids or families in your care Christmas gifts? I didn't last year but am thinking I will this year. Just wondering if this is something others do and how much you typically spend.

Thanks
MommyofThree 12:32 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do you give the kids or families in your care Christmas gifts? I didn't last year but am thinking I will this year. Just wondering if this is something others do and how much you typically spend.

Thanks
I LOVE CHRISTMAS. lol. So I go all out. I give the parents and the kids gifts.
brettnmel 12:32 PM 11-09-2011
I have done gifts for all the children in the past. In years past I spent between $10 - $15 per child. I host a family xmas party and have the kids do a gift exchange. They would draw names and bring gifts for that child. It is a hit with the parents and the kids.

This year I am unsure what to do as I have many part time children so spending the $10-15 per child will get very expensive. I am thinking of doing a "family" gift as I have 3 families with multiple children. Any suggestions for what a good family friendly gift would be. My kids range from 6 months to 7 years old.
nannyde 12:51 PM 11-09-2011
I don't do gifts but I do receive Xmas bonus
CheekyChick 12:59 PM 11-09-2011
I buy Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, and goody bags for Valentine, Easter, and Halloween. I buy gifts for a few of the moms I'm very close to as well.
spud912 01:00 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by brettnmel:
I host a family xmas party and have the kids do a gift exchange. They would draw names and bring gifts for that child. It is a hit with the parents and the kids.
That's a great idea I may have to steal! Thanks!!
wdmmom 01:03 PM 11-09-2011
I spend about $10 per child and I usually buy books.
brettnmel 01:21 PM 11-09-2011
steal away!!

I think it's helped with the relationship between caregiver and parents and helped build friendships between the parents of other children.
Blackcat31 01:31 PM 11-09-2011
I do not buy Christmas gift either. I choose one charity and the kids are asked to contribute items from the list and we donate to that charity. Over the years we have collected and donated smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, coats for the local coat drive, donations for the animal shelter, food for the food bank, care packages for the soldiers, school supplies for the needy, gifts for the neighboing nursing home and toys for tots.

Christmas is for giving and I want the children at my child care to learn that lesson before the receiving part comes into play. (That part is for the families and the grandparents.)
kendallina 01:40 PM 11-09-2011
I don't do gifts for Christmas. Right now we're doing a food drive for the local pantry for Thanksgiving and we always make gifts for parents when Christmas gets closer.
sharlan 01:50 PM 11-09-2011
I generally buy a $20 gift card from Toys R Us for both birthday and Christmas presents.
Pammie 02:19 PM 11-09-2011
All of my dc kids receive a hardcover book for Christmas - this year it's "If you Give a Dog a Donut" that I got from Children's Book of the Month Club for $6/each ! I also always give them small gift that ties in to the book - so I'm making them all donut pillows:-)

For the dc parents/families I always do "Christmas Breakfast"- They'll be receiving a donut pan (like a muffin pan, but shaped like donuts) and Muffin Mix in a Jar. In the past, I've given them frozen pans of homemade cinnamon rolls, pancake mix in a jar, frozen coffee cakes, etc.

I have amazingly wonderful families that are extremely generous at Christmas - this is my way to show them how much I appreciate "them"
Meeko 02:36 PM 11-09-2011
I don't do gifts from me.

The kids make gifts for their families. We usually decorate boxes (shoe boxes) and then fill them with homemade goodies, handmade cards, handmade tree ornaments etc.
small_steps 05:26 PM 11-09-2011
I did little treat bags last year. This year I'm thinking of doing pajama's. Walmart puts them for about $4 a pair at their after Thanksgiving (Blitz)sale. I think it would be a hit with the kiddos. Maybe even let them wear them after they open them at our party. For the parents I didn't do anything last year but I offer parent's night outs throughout the year for $25 for an evening of childcare so they can go out. So for this year I'm thinking of making up a cute certificate for a free parent's night out. I would offer a few different dates that I'm available and they have to use it on one of those nights.
mommiesherie 07:44 PM 11-09-2011
I looooove christmas. Already have my tree up! This year I am not at teacher in a class and am at home with just 4 kiddos. So I will buy them all a decent gift. Parents we will make gifts for prolly. I may buy something for them depends on how broke I am by then lol. In the past I did buy small gifts for the kids in my care. If there were a lot of them I couldn't spend a lot but you would be surprised at how a couple dollar tree gifts excite the kids.
SilverSabre25 08:11 PM 11-09-2011
Last year (my first year open) I pretty much ignored Christmas...I was pregnant and my mom was sick and in a coma. I did NOT feel like doing much of anything. I did manage a craft with them and we baked cookies to send home with the parents...but that was it.

This year, I'm looking to do something more interesting...a really nice craft/gift for the parents for sure, though I haven't decided what yet. And either gifts for the kids to take home with them, or I'm going to wrap up everything I'm buying for daycare for Xmas (I'm getting $100 to spend on new stuff!). I'm thinking of putting it in a big box and covering it with 4 layers of wrapping paper, then having each one pull a layer off.
mac60 03:34 AM 11-10-2011
This year is going to be tough for Christmas giving, as hubby is out of a job again. I am thinking of giving a $10 Target gift card to each child. Makes it easy on me. The families I have spoil their children greatly, and nothing I bought them would really mean that much to them. I even had a 4 yr old one year tell me "I don't like that" when he opened his gift.

In the past I have bought pajamas, games, sweatshirts for the kids. Sometimes I do a Christmas picture for the parents.
MommyofThree 04:29 AM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I don't do gifts from me.

The kids make gifts for their families. We usually decorate boxes (shoe boxes) and then fill them with homemade goodies, handmade cards, handmade tree ornaments etc.
I might have to steel this idea. sounds great.
AfterSchoolMom 07:00 AM 11-10-2011
I used to go all out with gifts for the kids and the parents. I got fed up with it because I never even got a thank you in return. Now (when I have kids, that is) I do goody bags and I do bake cookies or something to give to parents.
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 11-10-2011
I usually get each child a gift, have the kids make one for the parents and do a gift swap amongst the kids.

I am rethinking this due to my sibling groups not being "fair" in my view.

IMHO, A family bringing one gift and receiving two-three is not in the Christmas Spirit. They feel I am being unfair by expecting "one for one" ($10 limit).

Maybe I will just skip Christmas this year with the daycare. I am closed anyway.

I was excited and looking forward to it, too... Party poopers.
erinalexmom 09:04 AM 11-10-2011
I am making a slideshow of all the kids. Setting it to music,burning it onto discs. There ya go. I will also make a photo collage of each child and give to each parent. Thats it
As far as the kids themselves I really like the idea of exchanging books so i'll probably do that.
Zoe 09:08 AM 11-10-2011
For my one family that I've had all year (from before I was licensed) I made a photo book online of all the things we did this year. Then all the daycare kids are getting a candy cane. I don't want to be a Scrooge or anything, but I got burned last year and none of the kids or parents appreciated the gifts I gave them. I figure they get so many cool things they don't need something huge from me.

That being said, they get hugs from me, we make Christmas crafts together, and I'll maybe send the family home with a batch of Christmas cookies after my family's annual Christmas Cookie Extravaganza!
newtodaycare22 10:49 AM 11-10-2011
I spoil my little ones a bit.

I am giving the parents a calendar of their kids artwork. Last year I made them snow globes with their childs picture inside (recycled baby jars-very cheap and pretty easy).

As for the kids, we take a trip to build a bear. I limit them to their selections of stuffed animal and outfits, but it still costs about 25-30 per kid. I have 6 kids, so it runs me about 150-180. We have a blast and I love doing it with them!
graham.shellbell 11:11 AM 11-10-2011
Give the kids and the family a gift..I am a big couponer so I find deals and pack them away for the Holidays...will admit I have favorites who get a little better gift than others.
WImom 11:24 AM 11-10-2011
I send them Christmas cards with a group shot of the kids in front of the DC christmas tree. (We have a 4ft one we decorate).

I also send home a gift the child makes for the parents.

The kids all get a gift from me. This year it will be a sticker/activity book. I saw some nice ones at Sam's Club (Cars, princess, tinkerbelle) for $8.00.

We will also have a christmas party where the kids pick names and give a gift to another child. The kids LOVE this! I do a $5.00 limit.
Ariana 01:27 PM 11-10-2011
Great ideas everyone!! Thanks
Tags:christmas gifts
Reply Up