Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Attention Span of a Gnat!
Happy Hearts 09:57 AM 06-03-2013
I have one dcg that wants to change activities every minute! So annoying!

painting, stickers, craft of any kind, story, toy, puzzle.... she wants to move from one activity to the next pronto. She's 30 months and very smart.

I understand how smart kids get bored easily, but I think it's more than that.... she doesn't even take the time to enjoy what she's doing. Right now I usually keep her on task for a few minutes more. I think she really needs to learn that before school starts for her.

I used to try to jump her to a new activity right away, but geez, I'm not THAT organized to keep her on a new thing every 5 minutes.

What do you think? Keep her on task or submit to her fickleness? I already know the answer, just frustrated.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 06-03-2013
I don't allow any child to switch activities like that. I set a kitchen timer for 30 minutes. If a child is done playing before the bell goes off, they can sit quietly but they can't move on to another activity until the 30 minutes is up.

I will reset the timer if they want to play some more.

I don't include babies and/or toddlers.

If a child wants to be bored, they certainly can, but activity changes only happen here every 30 minutes at the least.
Evansmom 10:33 AM 06-03-2013
Personally I think she needs to be allowed to experience boredom. And that will actually be ok. I think a lot of kids look too much to the adults around them for constant entertainment. But it's really not good for them in the long run. Kids need to have space in their environment and in their minds and lives to wonder, think, invent, create. Adults are actually doing kids a disservice by scheduling too many projects and activities.

If it were me I'd limit the activities I would lead each day and let the child slow down, get bored. That's when they have to become resourceful and inventive.

I realize this may not be a popular opinion but it works for us. I do this with my daycare. The kids have a lot of open ended toys and supplies so that they can create what they like. This morning my son got out the recycled parts bag we keep and built a skateboard with rocket boosters for his polar bear without me even being involved. Then he played with it for an hour. I didn't have to teach him to create and invent and imagine, I just gave him the supplies and space to do so.
Happy Hearts 10:34 AM 06-03-2013
Thanks BlackCat. They just started with the rice table.... I set my phone timer for 30 minutes. I told them that when they hear the duck quack, then they can change activity.
countrymom 10:46 AM 06-03-2013
I agree with the above poster. She is looking for someone to entertain her. More and more kids are like this. It has nothing to do with smarts. Its the fact that she doesn't know how to play.
My3cents 10:49 AM 06-03-2013
Originally Posted by Happy Hearts:
Thanks BlackCat. They just started with the rice table.... I set my phone timer for 30 minutes. I told them that when they hear the duck quack, then they can change activity.
when I pull the rice table out they don't want to leave it. It is a favorite thing to do here. I find it very relaxing myself- Only thing I hate is the mess.

I agree with not having to entertain all the time. Let the kids be kids and use imagination. I have tons of toys and these kids today get bored in very little time. They are used to instant gratification with the world we are living in today. I don't want to stop progress but I want to slow these kids down a bit and let them be kids while they are kids and learn thinking skills.
nannyde 11:12 AM 06-03-2013
Why are you engaging her to that level? Does she have toys she can freeplay without ANY adult involvement or adult generated activities?

Many times providers feel obligated to do wall to wall “keep em happy" activities because they don't want the kid to tell the parents they don't like or want to come to daycare. If the kid doesn't want to come the provider knows the parent will either negotiate more special special for the kid OR pull the kid if the kid continues to complain.

So in those cases it's really about the money.

Ask yourself if you are allowing this for money.

If you are then suck it up and do what the kid wants. You can't fix it or convince her to partially accept that you won't serve her wants.

If you are doing it because you believe she is gifted or smart then that's super easy to fix. If she is really smart she doesn't need anything but a room full of age appropriate toys, space, and supervision. She can take it from there.
Tags:attention, attention span, focus
Reply Up