Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sick Of WINTER!!!!
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 03-03-2015
Caution Enter at your own risk: Major Tantrum!!! For the next 60 seconds this provider will present a major tantrum.

Half an hour to get outside. Ten minutes of playing before someone whines cries screams they're cold or bored and want to go in. Snow gets in their boots, boots get kicked off or mittens constantly come off. Little ones running through the house as we're all coming in through the door with snowy boots so everybody's stepping in wet spots getting wet socks. Littles eating yucky snow off their boots because I cannot move fast enough to take care of them. Never fails as soon as we get outside someone has to go to the bathroom(yesterday it was a 7 yo???!!!) I'm like what are you 2 yos again?? I just looked at him incredulously.
It's cold. It's too dark(I know I know the light is coming!!)It's still cold. Nights are awfully wicked cold. Did I forget to mention how friggin' cold it is?? Potty training girl(bless her heart) tells me now when she has to go potty which is usually 10 minutes after we get outside even though she went before we came out. My sleds are getting broken. Temperature got into the 20's yesterday but the wind was blowing sooo hard we might as well have been on top of Mount Washington it felt so C O L D. Mother Nature definitely has a sense of humor I don't appreciate.
Oh and the latest fun thing is the ice that has built up on the roof over my playroom that the roof shoveler didn't want to knock off because he was afraid it would damage my roof?? I have 1/3 of my playroom cordoned off and buckets/towels are spread out all over to catch the flow.
My feet are always freezing. My hands are chapped beyond repair and my thumbs still split. I can't tell what color my car is anymore because the dirt/salt on it cover completely. I need to open my windows and air my house out, stop paying 500+ a month in oil bills, stay outside for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Oh and the kicker??? DD calls me from N.C. last night and says 'I walked out of work today obviously overdressed because it had gotten to 65 and my car was so hot!'
I swear I wanted to reach through the phone and do an immediate body transfer right then and there. Or at least box her ears a little.

FYI This has been a tantrum. Just a throwing myself on the floor kicking screaming tantrum. *ahem* picking myself off the floor now. Dusting the dirt off, hiking up my big girl panties and getting on with my day.

Sigh....one day closer to spring.
Anyone else???
AuntTami 03:52 AM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Caution Enter at your own risk: Major Tantrum!!! For the next 60 seconds this provider will present a major tantrum.

Half an hour to get outside. Ten minutes of playing before someone whines cries screams they're cold or bored and want to go in. Snow gets in their boots, boots get kicked off or mittens constantly come off. Little ones running through the house as we're all coming in through the door with snowy boots so everybody's stepping in wet spots getting wet socks. Littles eating yucky snow off their boots because I cannot move fast enough to take care of them. Never fails as soon as we get outside someone has to go to the bathroom(yesterday it was a 7 yo???!!!) I'm like what are you 2 yos again?? I just looked at him incredulously.
It's cold. It's too dark(I know I know the light is coming!!)It's still cold. Nights are awfully wicked cold. Did I forget to mention how friggin' cold it is?? Potty training girl(bless her heart) tells me now when she has to go potty which is usually 10 minutes after we get outside even though she went before we came out. My sleds are getting broken. Temperature got into the 20's yesterday but the wind was blowing sooo hard we might as well have been on top of Mount Washington it felt so C O L D. Mother Nature definitely has a sense of humor I don't appreciate.
Oh and the latest fun thing is the ice that has built up on the roof over my playroom that the roof shoveler didn't want to knock off because he was afraid it would damage my roof?? I have 1/3 of my playroom cordoned off and buckets/towels are spread out all over to catch the flow.
My feet are always freezing. My hands are chapped beyond repair and my thumbs still split. I can't tell what color my car is anymore because the dirt/salt on it cover completely. I need to open my windows and air my house out, stop paying 500+ a month in oil bills, stay outside for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Oh and the kicker??? DD calls me from N.C. last night and says 'I walked out of work today obviously overdressed because it had gotten to 65 and my car was so hot!'
I swear I wanted to reach through the phone and do an immediate body transfer right then and there. Or at least box her ears a little.

FYI This has been a tantrum. Just a throwing myself on the floor kicking screaming tantrum. *ahem* picking myself off the floor now. Dusting the dirt off, hiking up my big girl panties and getting on with my day.

Sigh....one day closer to spring.
Anyone else???
We're expecting more snow here today...... I'm over it.
BumbleBee 04:21 AM 03-03-2015
Yes.
laundrymom 04:51 AM 03-03-2015
Ice. Loads of ice on top of the 10-11 inches of snow we got sunday. Schools are closed today. Husbands home with a stomach ache. I've got enough milk to last through tomorrow if none of my own drink it. (They will be beaten) husbands diesel is dead in drive waiting for part. He's driving my tiny car. In 11 inches of snow mind you. When I say tiny I mean one step above smart car.
I am right beside you on that tantrum rug.
I'll be ok. You will too. I'm making reservations for Labor Day camping today. Sending warm, coffee filled, hugs to you.
NoMoreJuice! 05:25 AM 03-03-2015
So much sympathy from me right now. Ran across this on Pinterest:

Play Care 05:33 AM 03-03-2015
YES!

And with the infant we haven't really been able to get outside because temps alone are in the single digits/low teens, never mind the below 0 wind chills - just not safe

We had a vacation to Florida last month thinking it would be a bit of a break, but the cold weather followed us and we FROZE most of the week (okay, so our last day was 80 and sunny and we had a pool day, but still! )

I keep thinking "it's March, it can't much longer!" But then I remember I'm in upstate NY and the weather will be crappy until the end of May...
VTMom 05:47 AM 03-03-2015
Seriously. It was -10' here this morning. Done. SO done.

But...it's supposed to be 40' tomorrow! You too? Spring is coming (it has to, right?)

Shell 05:55 AM 03-03-2015
Yes, I'm over it too.
I do have some really great pictures of the kids in the snow that will be cool to look back on someday.
I hardly ever take a day off, and lately I've had several due to the weather.
It just stinks when there's really nothing to do besides watch tv. That gets old, believe it or not.
Thriftylady 07:39 AM 03-03-2015
Here also. This needs to end!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 03-03-2015
Snowing (instead of raining) on your pity train but I winter!

I love the snow and I love all the things connected to winter.
sledding, snowmen, snow angels, ski-ing, ice fishing, ice skating, snow ball fights, snow forts, snow mobiling etc etc etc....

My DCKs winter too!!

I love all 4 seasons pretty much equally but so far, I have not grown weary of winter yet.....

Sorry the rest of you ladies are over it. Sorry you are struggling and even more sorry that your DCK's don't like being outside when it's like this....I'd literally die if we couldn't go outside regularly.

Hoping the nice weather you are wanting comes your way soon!
Josiegirl 09:44 AM 03-03-2015
Oh sure BC, there's always that *1* who has to ruin everything for us!!! We were doing just fine being miserable and moaning/groaning all about ole man winter but no-oooo, you had to go spoil it!!

Actually, it's warmer today(no wind) and for the moment there's no river rushing down my playroom walls(prepared if it does!)and my roof shoveler-off guy is coming this afternoon to see what he can do. AND I'm watching a beautiful cardinal at my feeder while letting the kids rest. So all is not lost.

Just wait till the snow goes, then I'll be complaining about mud.
Puddleduck 09:55 AM 03-03-2015
YES! It's been -40 here for almost 2 months. My poor kids are going BONKERS.
Blackcat31 10:26 AM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
YES! It's been -40 here for almost 2 months. My poor kids are going BONKERS.
Where in Canada are you?

There aren't many places that stay that cold for that long...
melilley 10:31 AM 03-03-2015
I'm soooooo sick of it too!!!!
It just snowed again all morning and then it's supposed to change over to freezing rain.
The other day it was so sunny out, so sunny. I was looking outside my window from my couch where I couldn't see any snow and was imagining that it was summer outside. Yes, it's that bad.
Pepperth 10:43 AM 03-03-2015
My mantra has been: "It's March. It's March. It's March." I'm hoping the major snow will be done after our traditional St. Patrick's Day snowstorm. However, there could very well be snow on the ground until May. Everybody I talk to keeps talking about the March of 2012 where we hit 80 degrees. I don't see that happening this year.
daycarediva 11:28 AM 03-03-2015
I'm DONE with it. I hate cold, but I don't mind winter typically and take the kids out daily/twice a day through the whole season. Not this year though, it's exceptionally cold.

My parents think thin Walmart/$1 store gloves are enough. They're not. We've been cooped up indoors for farrrr too long. My own ds's have outgrown snowpants and boots, which I had to order online, since the stores locally have SPRING and SUMMER clothing out. Such a tease!

Dh had to take a spade shovel to the inches of ice over our driveway. It took him a good 4 hours to get one lane done before it was too dark to work, even with the floodlights on.
Jack Sprat 11:35 AM 03-03-2015
We are over winter here as well. But, I do have to admit it hasn't been too bad. It was really cold here in November and December. January and February were about average. Today it's 42 with a wind chill of 32. The sun keeps peaking out!! After tomorrow its suppose to warm up! 50's and 60's.

I DO NOT like winter or anything about it. I find snow fun and pretty as long as it's 40 degrees and sunny.
Play Care 12:24 PM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I'm DONE with it. I hate cold, but I don't mind winter typically and take the kids out daily/twice a day through the whole season. Not this year though, it's exceptionally cold.
This! It's not that I don't want to get out, it's that we can't

I usually love the winter because of the sledding, snowman building, etc. But when temps hover in the single digits day after day with a below 0 windchill, we stay in. And honestly, there were days where if I just had older kids (2+) we would have gone out for a few minutes, but I can't justify taking the infant out.
I kind of despise the "Everyone out, everyone in" reg because I could reasonably put the older kids outside and watch from the back windows (the back of my house is all window). But it's not allowed.
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I kind of despise the "Everyone out, everyone in" reg because I could reasonably put the older kids outside and watch from the back windows (the back of my house is all window). But it's not allowed.
This allows me to amend our day depending on the temp and still get that much need outside time.

I normally do take everyone outside (including my under 1's) but if I can't, I can still send my bigger ones outside or leave my little ones inside so it DOES make a difference.
hope 01:07 PM 03-03-2015
Oh sure BC, there's always that *1* who has to ruin everything for us!!! We were doing just fine being miserable and moaning/groaning all about ole man winter but no-oooo, you had to go spoil it!!

Actually, it's warmer today(no wind) and for the moment there's no river rushing down my playroom walls(prepared if it does!)and my roof shoveler-off guy is coming this afternoon to see what he can do. AND I'm watching a beautiful cardinal at my feeder while letting the kids rest. So all is not lost.

Just wait till the snow goes, then I'll be complaining about mud.
I am amazed that you have a roof snow shoveler guy!!!!! How much snow did you get that you are shoveling it off your roof? I was going to complain but i think I won't since I am only shoveling my walk and driveway.
Pepperth 02:27 PM 03-03-2015
My own ds's have outgrown snowpants and boots, which I had to order online, since the stores locally have SPRING and SUMMER clothing out. Such a tease!
It was -10 here last week. My son is rapidly outgrowing his entire wardrobe, so I thought I'd go buy a few items the next size up. All I saw were shorts, tank tops, etc. Its ridiculous. At least when I did find some winter clothes, it was marked way down.
Josiegirl 03:44 PM 03-03-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
I am amazed that you have a roof snow shoveler guy!!!!! How much snow did you get that you are shoveling it off your roof? I was going to complain but i think I won't since I am only shoveling my walk and driveway.
Part of my roof has a steep enough pitch so that it slides off by itself. But the back part, which is over my playroom is much flatter and the snow either stays or melts. Or ice builds up underneath. My roof shoveler came and he said lots of people are having problems this year due to no warm spells to melt snow along the way. And yes, I only call my roof guy(he was also my fence installer guy, my rototiller guy, my mulch deliverer guy Lol) when we've had a storm that dumps a foot or so. I really don't mind shoveling, it's climbing ladders and standing on roofs that I have a problem with.

I read that the Boston area had a big problem this year with roofs collapsing due to so much snow.

Hmmm, I have a question...would homeowner's insurance cover any water damage due to leaking roofs? I'm going to have to ask about that because this guy mentioned water had probably seeped into the insulation too.
Blackcat31 05:25 PM 03-03-2015
I have a metal roof. Not individual tiles or shingles but 20ft long sheets from peak to edge.

Snow slides off and never builds up.

It also never needs replacing.
daycare 08:56 PM 03-03-2015
I don't want to tell you guys it was 75 here today yet again.
I'm over the heat and want some RAIN.

Send me some snow
e.j. 09:01 PM 03-03-2015
I read that the Boston area had a big problem this year with roofs collapsing due to so much snow.

Hmmm, I have a question...would homeowner's insurance cover any water damage due to leaking roofs? I'm going to have to ask about that because this guy mentioned water had probably seeped into the insulation too.
There have been many roof collapses all over the state. Scary! My husband had to get up on our roof and shovel as well. We don't usually have a problem with snow on the roof but this year, it's been so cold that the snow just hadn't been melting.

Ice dams have been a huge problem here, too. According to several reports on the news, insurance will cover damage to structural parts of the house like ceiling and wall damage but if something like your rug or furniture is ruined because of water damage, it probably won't cover it. You may want to check your coverage just to be sure, though.
Josiegirl 04:10 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a metal roof. Not individual tiles or shingles but 20ft long sheets from peak to edge.

Snow slides off and never builds up.

It also never needs replacing.
My roof is metal too but the back pitch isn't nearly steep enough for sliding off. Oh how I wish it was.
BabyMonkeys 06:16 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I don't want to tell you guys it was 75 here today yet again.
I'm over the heat and want some RAIN.

Send me some snow
I'm in Orlando and I have my AC on. I would love some snow! Well...a little bit anyway
spud912 06:27 AM 03-04-2015
It was 46 as a low this morning and I'm freezing my tush off . I have to say I'm enjoying it though because by the end of next month it will start to hit the low 100's. In only a short 3-4 months we will be in the 110's and then I'll be jealous of all of you!
daycare 09:18 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
I'm in Orlando and I have my AC on. I would love some snow! Well...a little bit anyway
same here. we had AC on over the weekend. it's been really nice I can't complain, but I am sick of no rain and could really use some cold.
Annalee 09:30 AM 03-04-2015
It is in the 60's today with rain but will change by night fall and have snow/ice....High tomorrow is in the 20's. ....a weather roller coaster here.
LysesKids 10:16 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
It is in the 60's today with rain but will change by night fall and have snow/ice....High tomorrow is in the 20's. ....a weather roller coaster here.
I was so loving today until the wind picked up... we had 2 hrs when it didn't rain and I opened up my windows to get some fresh air in... now the wind has shifted into high gear & rain is back, so not looking forward to the ice & snow tonight
Annalee 10:23 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I was so loving today until the wind picked up... we had 2 hrs when it didn't rain and I opened up my windows to get some fresh air in... now the wind has shifted into high gear & rain is back, so not looking forward to the ice & snow tonight
Yep, but it's coming!
Josiegirl 10:36 AM 03-04-2015
Fresh air inside the house, I need that so bad!!

And I need this dang ceiling to stop dripping. He called about 12 to see if my roof was still leaking. As soon as it warmed up enough today, yes it's been leaking like crazy ever since. I have a whole row of buckets and towels laid out across the playroom floor. He said he's got to do a couple hours of plowing then come up and try to knock the ice off, maybe it will have melted enough by then. When he was up there the other day he said the ice right at the junction is about 5" thick.

Upside is the temp is about 50+ and the sun is shining! Gorgeous day out there and I cannot wait to go back outside to make snowmen!
CraftyMom 10:47 AM 03-04-2015
I like winter, but by this time of year I'm ready for Spring. We still have 9000 feet of snow so we'll be looking at it for a while still.

Today I actually said to the kids "Wow it's so warm out!" It was 38 degrees I was shoveling paths for the kids, they were running around, and by the time we came in were sweaty

It's 41 now, spring is coming!!!! It will be back down in the 20's by Friday, but spring IS coming!
jenboo 11:04 AM 03-04-2015
What's this winter things you guys are speaking of?
I'm not I understand

We are in our transition stage right now.. Ac on during the day and heater at night. I hate it.
daycarediva 11:05 AM 03-04-2015
An hour outside today! 35*, it's a heatwave!
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 03-04-2015
An hour outside today! 35*, it's a heatwave!
Here too!!

It's 10F ABOVE!!!

According to the long term forecast, this is the last cold spell before Spring so people can stop complaining about winter pretty soon and start complaining about the mud and water.
CraftyMom 11:32 AM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here too!!

It's 10F ABOVE!!!

According to the long term forecast, this is the last cold spell before Spring so people can stop complaining about winter pretty soon and start complaining about the mud and water.
Yes I was just thinking, once all this snow melts the yard will be a mud pit!
LysesKids 12:25 PM 03-04-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Yes I was just thinking, once all this snow melts the yard will be a mud pit!
I am so glad I built my deck as big as I did lol... I can take 3-4 babies out & it's plenty. No soggy knees & hands (only one walks at moment)
Josiegirl 03:53 PM 03-04-2015
Beautiful afternoon. Perfect snow to play in. Sun was shining.
Getting everybody's stuff ready to go outside and play. Dogs were bouncing with excitement. Kids were bouncing with excitement. One child did not bring snow pants.
Seriously????
auntkk 04:46 AM 03-05-2015
Southeast Tennessee here, so I know I don't have it nearly as bad as most of you do but UGH this is the most miserable winter I can remember. We've had it snow four times I'm the last week (that's a lot for us!) And everyone especially the schools are all in a panic. Today they cancelled schools everywhere for RAIN because what if it maybe possibly turns to ice? It's in the mid 30s all day, ridiculous. When it's not snowing, it's dreary and rainy and depressing and miserable. I don't think I even remember what the sun looks like!
Annalee 05:39 AM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by auntkk:
Southeast Tennessee here, so I know I don't have it nearly as bad as most of you do but UGH this is the most miserable winter I can remember. We've had it snow four times I'm the last week (that's a lot for us!) And everyone especially the schools are all in a panic. Today they cancelled schools everywhere for RAIN because what if it maybe possibly turns to ice? It's in the mid 30s all day, ridiculous. When it's not snowing, it's dreary and rainy and depressing and miserable. I don't think I even remember what the sun looks like!
Southern middle tn for me and we have ice/snow so it is headed your way.....off day with pay for me cause NO ONE is getting out today!
LysesKids 07:30 AM 03-05-2015
Originally Posted by auntkk:
East TN ( Blount Co) here... the mix of rain & sleet has here started again
I expect 2 of my parents will end up calling off because their work opens late today and last time the roads got so bad they said screw it
Tags:winter, winter sucks
Reply Up