Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contagious Backbones
melissa ann 07:01 AM 06-16-2010
I'm beginning to think that we have a contagious thing going on. Gaining backbones.
I'm so relieved after telling g-pa that I'm done dealing with subsidy. Last night, he even called to say that the kids will be here in the afternoon instead of in the morning. Normally, I would be up waiting for them at 6 only to have them show up at 1. This is my business and I've decided that if they don't like my policies, so be it. I am updating my handbook and am making changes which I will be strictly enforcing. Late pick-ups, $10, late payment fees (which will also include partial payments, if it's not paid it full, late fee, $10/day starting at 5:01pm day it was due), paying for their vacation and any/all missed days. If they are late by more than 30 mins and I do not hear from them, I have the right to make other plans and refuse service. And if I don't have the schedule by Friday I have the right to fill their child's spot with a drop in. I am feeling so proud of myself for standing up for myself. After all, if I don't, who will? I was so nervous last week when I handed g-pa the note about not taking subsidy anymore. He kept saying he was going to call them and tell them he wanted to stop it since he was paying more for being on it, but he never did. So, in a way, I did it for him
boysx5 07:05 AM 06-16-2010
I'm loving my backbone lately I can't believe I didn't find it sooner
Greenshadow 09:25 AM 06-16-2010
Me too. I sat down last night and went over my contracts. I have spaces in spots I shouldnt have spaces where parents havent filled in everything. I made a list of what parent needs to add to their contract and where. I have one mom who in the spot where you put the hours, she put "Approx 6 hrs/day"...LOL. That wont cut it. Im making her fill in WHAT hours specifically she wants. When she started she told me she wanted it to be flexible so that if she got off work and wanted to run by the store on her way or whatever, she could. Im fine with that but she could atleast call me to tell me. Some days she comes at 1:30, some days she doesnt come until 3pm. I need to know these things. I will be speaking to her about them today. Loving my backbone too!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:36 AM 06-16-2010
I was such a softie before coming to this board, learning how the rules of the business should be has done me a HUGE favor. I live in an area where jobs seem to pay lower and parents don't seem to want to pay...but I'm finding if you enforce your rules, they have no choice.

I have always been a shy, underspoken person, but it really does feel good to be in control with my own business...I do still struggle with a few things, like late fees..usually if my parents are late it's only by about 5-10min and I have a hard time saying they owe more...but I'm sure that too will get to me some day and I'll need to start enforcing that one...that along with late payment fees.
professionalmom 10:05 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
I'm beginning to think that we have a contagious thing going on. Gaining backbones.
I'm so relieved after telling g-pa that I'm done dealing with subsidy. Last night, he even called to say that the kids will be here in the afternoon instead of in the morning. Normally, I would be up waiting for them at 6 only to have them show up at 1. This is my business and I've decided that if they don't like my policies, so be it. I am updating my handbook and am making changes which I will be strictly enforcing. Late pick-ups, $10, late payment fees (which will also include partial payments, if it's not paid it full, late fee, $10/day starting at 5:01pm day it was due), paying for their vacation and any/all missed days. If they are late by more than 30 mins and I do not hear from them, I have the right to make other plans and refuse service. And if I don't have the schedule by Friday I have the right to fill their child's spot with a drop in. I am feeling so proud of myself for standing up for myself. After all, if I don't, who will? I was so nervous last week when I handed g-pa the note about not taking subsidy anymore. He kept saying he was going to call them and tell them he wanted to stop it since he was paying more for being on it, but he never did. So, in a way, I did it for him
I got my backbone transplant just a couple weeks ago and it is getting stronger each and every day. Boy, it does feel nice to no longer be a puddle of mush! Just one tip - about the late payment fees - will that be charged by the business day or the calendar day? My contract says calendar day. You can never be TOO clear.
momofboys 10:15 AM 06-16-2010
I've acquired one also & I feel a LOT better about myself. Just knowing that I am no longer in a position to be taken advantage of, because I will no longer allow it. It feels good, empowering!!
melissa ann 02:39 PM 06-16-2010
It's calendar days. In my handbook it states that the late payment fee will start 5:01pm due day and continue up to and including date paid. Ex: payment was due on Friday and was either short or unpaid and isn't paid until Monday, that would be $40 in late fees plus whatever amount they owe.
I did have it as $5/day but decided to up it. Not because I'm trying to get whatever I can from the parents, but to avoid having to wait to get paid.
Former Teacher 04:31 PM 06-16-2010
It's amazing what we find here on the daycare forum!
momma2girls 04:34 PM 06-16-2010
I personally changed mine to work and commute times only. If the daycare parents are later than what they have contracted, they will pay for it from now on!! I make plans, appts, supper dates, etc. etc. after they are picked up, and I go by that time for everything!! I wouldn't give them 30 min. later than their contracted time for pick ups!!!
momma2girls 04:37 PM 06-16-2010
It's calendar days. In my handbook it states that the late payment fee will start 5:01pm due day and continue up to and including date paid. Ex: payment was due on Friday and was either short or unpaid and isn't paid until Monday, that would be $40 in late fees plus whatever amount they owe.
I did have it as $5/day but decided to up it. Not because I'm trying to get whatever I can from the parents, but to avoid having to wait to get paid.
I increased mine as well this yr. from $5.00- $10.00 per day inc. Sat. and Sun. I had one family that would pay me every Wed. and pay a $10.00 late free, because it being due on Mon. before the week of daycare!! They would pay it everytime, a couple times in change!! Once short by $1.50 so I had to place in full amt in there after that!!! Oh the nerve of some parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!
momma2girls 04:40 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I've acquired one also & I feel a LOT better about myself. Just knowing that I am no longer in a position to be taken advantage of, because I will no longer allow it. It feels good, empowering!!
You learn pretty fast in this type of business, don't you??? You put up with something for so long, and let it slide, then others take advantage of you, and wow!! I started putting a stop to things about 4 yrs. ago!!! I do not give breaks any longer for anyone!! I did for some, and it backfired, and then they took advantage of you in other ways. It was not good!!! I am done!! After yrs. and yrs. of doing it, you finally decide enough's enough!!!!!!
melissa ann 02:45 PM 06-17-2010
The 30 mins late is for dropping off. If the kids aren't here, I can make other plans and refuse service if they show up without callling. If they are late, the fee will start at 5:00 since that's when they get picked up. There is no grace period for pickups.
I have mine for work/commute times only. Which I just added.
For late payments, I had to word it to include partial payments. If the amount isn't paid in full, the late fee will be due. I was getting tired of being $10, $15 short and waiting until Mon to get it.
katie 05:18 PM 06-17-2010
Yep, loving my backbone too. I served a sheet of my pay policy to new mom and mom#1 (see thread on backbone) Mom #1 didn't say a thing. She dropped dcb off the next morning and let me know her schedule promptly. I was scared she would be upset but you know, we need to get paid what we are worth! I mean, the commercial daycares charge for everything, there or not, and they certainly charge for lateness. Parents would never get away with not paying or coming in the door hours late. Good for you!
Tags:backbone, grandparents
Reply Up