Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does This Rate Sound Reasonable?
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 12-13-2010
I normally only do full day rates and have no hourly or half day rates available but in this bad economic times I guess you gotta take what you can get. So I have a family who is interested in coming
Monday 12:15-5:30 (5.25 hours)
Tuesday 1:45-5:30 (3.75 hours)
Wednesday 12:45-5:30 (4.75 hours)
they have an 8 month old and a 3.5 yr old.
My normal daily rate is $28 per day for the 3.5 yr old and $33 per day for infant.

Since they only wanna come 3 days a week and for half days I was thinking of doing it for $20 a day for infant and $15 for the 3.5 yr old...$35 per day. It'll be $105 per week. I just feel like anything less wouldn't be worth it and although I need kids because I have several openings and VERY few calls. I also feel that since there is an infant involved...?!? (I normally don't like taking infants because I feel they are too much work IMO) Anyways, does that rate set up sound reasonable?
I'm just torn about this because I want it to be worth my time but don't want to turn them off either. I always feel like if I sell myself short then I resent the whole situation and it becomes a pain. I have no idea if the kids (both boys) are good or kids who require ALOT...so I just dont know.... Just need some input from others....
marniewon 07:54 AM 12-13-2010
That's a tough one - you want to make it worth your while, while still being affordable. You know you probably won't be able to find someone to take the remaining part of those days, and I noticed that a few of the days arrival is in the middle of nap time. That alone would make me say charge full time rates, but you don't want to scare them off either. Doing the math, the rates you are suggesting seem to be good, but my gut is saying that they are too low and you are selling yourself short. I guess I'm not much help, huh?

I have a part time family who come 3 days a week too. They are full days, but I charge $25/day/child. I do give a 20% discount for the sibling. So, for three days a week I charge $135. I don't think that's bad. But it's full day. But you won't be able to fill that spot on those days either. Maybe $125/week for this family? I don't know. Hopefully for you someone else will chime in on this one
Lilbutterflie 08:08 AM 12-13-2010
I agree with Marniewon 100%. Based on those times, I would also charge a full rate b/c you will not be able to fill the rest of the time slots. I believe your rate is too low. Two of the three days are over the 4 hour mark as well, so it's more than just a half day. I would charge your full rate and explain that b/c of the times they are asking, you won't be able to fill the other time slots and therefore you have to charge your full rate.
Good luck! Don't sell yourself short!
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 12-13-2010
Okay, I just called the mom and talked with her. I just told her up front that I don't want to sell myself short but I also don't want to make her feel as though I am taking advantage of her. I said I was concerned about the drop off during nap (I had thought of that too but was too busy worrying about rates...) and she said she works at 2 and just figured she'd bring early to go home and get ready...so I suggested dropping off at noon everyday (We don't lay down until 12:30) and she agreed. I also had to throw in there that she needed to feed kids because we sit down to eat at 11:30) and she agreed. She also agreed to make drop off SUPER quick because I will be busy. She said she would drop quick and call me right before work if she needed to tell me anything additional. I hate drop offs at lunch but hate nap drop offs even worse.
Anyways the rate we worked out was $140 for the week. I asked her if she felt it was reasonable and was prepared to go a little lower but she said it was worth it because she looked at other daycares and didn't get a good vibe from any of them so I was flattered and now I am feeling like it is going to be okay....(sigh) Thank you for your help marniewon...I had the same feelings you did! But I just layed it out there for her and it worked so I am officially having a good Monday...

I didn't go with full day rates because I do have two other kids who have expressed an interest in mornings (M-F) and I hadn't got back to them because this family was first on the list of people who needed to start. So now I will call the other two families back and take them. They are both 3 and only one kid in each family. It was the fact that they have two kids and the fact that one was an infant that was throwing me off. I don't mind having a few afternoons a week with less kids...especially when they are Thursdays and Fridays.....Thank you for all your help guys!!
Abigail 01:51 PM 12-13-2010
It's great that you called and were honest. She will love you even more for that! Good job for not selling yourself short too! How did you come to conclude that you would use the rate you decided on?
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 12-13-2010
I did $140 because I figured that was what I would get for one full time space for one child so I figured I'd feel okay with part-timers if I could make it "seem" like it was a full time spot. Since this family only needs afternoons and only a couple days a week, I have a few part timers that need mornings that I can work them all around each other so basically $140 just felt like a good number and since mom agreed it worked out great!
Tags:rates
Reply Up