Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question For You Lovely Ladies On Rates..
Unregistered 10:57 PM 06-04-2011
I have been lurking for the last few days reading different postings and thought I would ask you ladies this question:

I am unlicensed (hopefully will be starting the licensing when my husband gets back from his deployment) and just got a response to one of my ads on Craigslist from a woman looking for child care for her 2 children ages 1 and 5 for 3 days a week no more than 2-3 hours a day. She asked what I would charge as a rate for those hours but I have never had a family that part time.

What would you ladies think is a reasonable amount to charge?

Thank you!
kidkair 06:11 AM 06-05-2011
It would be helpful knowing what your current rates are. Rates vary from city to city and daycare to daycare. Full time care usually covers about 50 hours a week and she's looking for about 9 hours so I would suggest charging her about 1/4 or 1/5 your current rate per child.
Holladee 06:37 AM 06-05-2011
That is hard to answer not knowing what rates are generally like in your area.

However, keep in mind that if you take on these VERY part-time kids that it may be hard to fit in other full-time clients. You will have two kids taking up slots and it may be hard to fill in the slots around them.

Good luck!
cheerfuldom 06:54 AM 06-05-2011
you still have a max number of kids if you are unlicensed so keep that in mind when coming up with the rate. These kids will be taking up spots for the full day even if they are only their a few hours. It is unlikely that you will find more part timers that need the opposite hours as these kids.
melissa ann 07:48 AM 06-05-2011
I charge $20/day. That's for 3 hours or 9 hours.
Pammie 08:35 AM 06-05-2011
I think it really depends on what your regular full-time rates are. And like previous responses, remember that these kids will be taking a roster-space that could be going to a full-time child (and full-time income for you).

But as a point of reference, my full-day rate is $25/day and my part-time rate is $15 for any time up to 5 hours - but those 5 hours must be either between 7am-12:15 OR 12:15-5:30. That way, I can have 2 part time kids share a roster spot in a day, and make $30 with 2 pt kids.

I would suggest that when you quote this potential client a rate, that you also put some restrictions on hours are available for her to use (unless you don't mind random drop-in clients)
Unregistered 08:54 AM 06-05-2011
I appreciate your replies!

I don't mind the part time kids as I have a 3 month old and my husband is deployed so I am transitioning back into daycare after having my son.

My full time rates are 25 dollars for infants and 35 dollars for toddlers for hours up to 10 hours. She will be needing childcare from 230-330 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I feel like these hours would be good to start getting used to having daycare kids with my son. I also will hopefully be taking a child I used to care for and her new baby sister in about 8 weeks as her mom does not trust her sister in law to watch both girls. Taking them and these two part timers would be my limit so I am thinking it would work nicely!

Do you give the full handbook to part timers or are there different things you add or remove from it? May be a silly question but just curious!!

Thanks again!!
cheerfuldom 10:23 AM 06-05-2011
good ideas Pammie. Definitely restrict it and have it in writing because part time families are notorious in wanting to take advantage of the situation since the daycare is open anyway.
Live and Learn 12:08 PM 06-05-2011
Check to see how many children you can care for if you are not liscenced.

Whenever I have taken drop in or part timers in the past I let them know that if a full timer comes along I will give the part timers the option of either paying full time or terming.

In many states you can only have 3 children in your care if you are not liscenced so if you take the two part timers you might not be able to take back the other full time family you referred to.
Unregistered 05:03 PM 06-05-2011
In my state the ratio is 1:4 (children outside of your immediate family). Which I am very thankful for because I would love to take both familes. Especially take back the previous family. They were always fabulous with payments and really saw the care for their children as a team effort and communicated things going on with her at home with me so we could always be on the same page! She was a preemie born at 25 weeks and so I had her from the time she was brought home from the hospital for 5 months and then I took her a few times when her aunt was on vacation. The mom is not happy with the care she gives to her daughter and is worried that the new baby will be just plopped in the swing all day long. I had many phone calls from her when she first began bringing her daughter there crying saying she wished she had stayed with me. But I am rambling...

I quoted the part time family $35 per day which she was more than pleased with.

Thank you so much for your responses and advice that went above and beyond what I asked! I will definitely adopt the idea of making sure that the hours are in writing so I do not have random drop ins.
Tags:craigs list, rates, unlicensed
Reply Up