Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Set An After School Rate...
MamaJ 07:11 AM 09-01-2011
The local YMCA program for school age is $50/week, and a $50 registration fee for school agers.

neighbor girl is signed up to go....but I mentioned to mom perhaps she could come here.

They Y has them play outside, do homework, and do group games/activities/science experiments, and a snack. If she came here there would be outside time, I'd let her have time for homework, have a snack...but probably no planned activities that time of day...so probably just free play time.

she's in 4th grade. it would be from 4pm-5:30pm

what should I tell her mom I'd charge? I was thinking $40 or $45/week. not sure if $40 is more reasonable for a home setting? It woudl save her mom the registration fee, plus drive time after work to pick up her daughter.
pixsydust 07:22 AM 09-01-2011
I charge $5 per hour for after school. I have a child that rides the bus home with my kids so I have him from 4pm-5:30pm.
MamaJ 07:25 AM 09-01-2011
so do you charge for two full hours, or $2.50 for the half hour from 5-5:30?
pixsydust 07:33 AM 09-01-2011
I charge $37.50 for the week. It is a friends child, but if it was someone else's child I would just make it an even $40 a week.
familyschoolcare 07:41 AM 09-01-2011
I would charge $45 a week and emphasize the positive things about your care verses the Y

1. No very young (18-22 years) workers
2. small group
3.extra help with homework (chances are the Y just points the children to a table)
4. Home made snacks (if that is true)
SilverSabre25 07:46 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I would charge $45 a week and emphasize the positive things about your care verses the Y

2. small group
3.extra help with homework (chances are the Y just points the children to a table)
This, I think. Plus, emphasize the lack of drive time and (if you're willing) the availability of care on no-school days (for an extra fee, of course)
momma2girls 07:48 AM 09-01-2011
I have increased mine over the last yr. I used to have a rate of $25.00/week for before or after school and $50.00/week for both- I have increased these prices to $40.00 for before or after and $60.00 for both before and after. YOu have to make it worthwhile for you to take on other children. You have to also remember they are bringing in alot of extra sicknesses from school, etc....
mom2many 07:55 AM 09-01-2011

2. small group
This is what I have done in the past! The children do get the bonus of getting extra help with their homework and I provide a substantial snack...since many don't eat their lunches and come here very hungry! The kids enjoy being in a "home" atmosphere to unwind after school too.

When I have had children attend the Y and then come here, they've always preferred coming to my home daycare...so don't sell yourself short and feel like you need to cut your rates!
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 09-01-2011

2. small group
3. extra help with homework (chances are the Y just points the children to a table)
IME, I don't always think that young workers (in regard to school agers) is always a bad thing. That isn't really fair.

I also don't think that small group size in reference to SA'ers is always a positive thing. Sometimes because they are so used to being in school with a large class, a small group is exactly what they don't need.

Our YMCA's afterschool program provideds trained tutors and volunteer teachers to give homework assistance.

All of the things you pointed out could be either positives or negatives depending on what the family is specifically looking for and what their child needs.

FTR~ Positives for the YMCA in my area:

1. lots of room to run and possibly swim. (gym and pool availability)
2. Specific age group of SA'ers only so the caregivers do not always have to be busy supervising the younger kids so attention belongs just to the schoolers.
3. Age and size appropriate equipment and activities.
4. Friends
5. Our YMCA participates with food program and has a kitchen and makes all the meals and snacks for their kids just like the school would so snack (and meals) are Food Program approved
6. Educated and trained homework tutors with a quiet study room and a computer lab

OP, did this mom express NOT wanting to go to the Y or was it simply a situation where you were able to mention your services and could possibly gain some business? If she is balking at the cost, just charge less than the Y and Mom'll probably take you up on it. If she was specifically looking for a Y type atmosphere then I would assume that is why she signed on to go. Is the registration fee refundable for her if she chooses not to go?

Personally, as a 4th grader I would be embarrassed to have to go to daycare versus an after school program. But that is just me.
MamaJ 08:19 AM 09-01-2011
Ok so I left mom a message and told her $45 a week.

This saves her the $50 registration fee, $20 a month, and drive time after work to pick up her daughter. She had expressed concerns to me about driving the icy country roads in the winter out here to the school anyway...so that would be a bonus that she wouldn't have to do that.

she didn't seek me out for care, I brought it up. Her daughter quite often comes over here to play after school anyway a few times a week with my son (last year she got to come right home as mom had a diff work schedule), so I don't think she'd feel like she was coming to a baby daycare after school.

So, I'm hoping they will take me up on it since I could use the extra money, but perhaps her daughter really enjoys the Y program and has a lot of fun and friends there.

I will let you know what she decides
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
Ok so I left mom a message and told her $45 a week.

This saves her the $50 registration fee, $20 a month, and drive time after work to pick up her daughter. She had expressed concerns to me about driving the icy country roads in the winter out here to the school anyway...so that would be a bonus that she wouldn't have to do that.
she didn't seek me out for care, I brought it up. Her daughter quite often comes over here to play after school anyway a few times a week with my son (last year she got to come right home as mom had a diff work schedule), so I don't think she'd feel like she was coming to a baby daycare after school.

So, I'm hoping they will take me up on it since I could use the extra money, but perhaps her daughter really enjoys the Y program and has a lot of fun and friends there.

I will let you know what she decides
THAT would be the selling point for me if I were that mom! I hope it works out for you. Sounds like she would also have an age mate in your sons as well. I am also glad she won't have to pay a registration fee as well. Let us know if it works out!
familyschoolcare 01:07 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
IME, I don't always think that young workers (in regard to school agers) is always a bad thing. That isn't really fair.

I also don't think that small group size in reference to SA'ers is always a positive thing. Sometimes because they are so used to being in school with a large class, a small group is exactly what they don't need.

Our YMCA's afterschool program provideds trained tutors and volunteer teachers to give homework assistance.

All of the things you pointed out could be either positives or negatives depending on what the family is specifically looking for and what their child needs.

2. Specific age group of SA'ers only so the caregivers do not always have to be busy supervising the younger kids so attention belongs just to the schoolers.
4. Friends
5. Our YMCA participates with food program and has a kitchen and makes all the meals and snacks for their kids just like the school would so snack (and meals) are Food Program approved
6. Educated and trained homework tutors with a quiet study room and a computer lab

OP, did this mom express NOT wanting to go to the Y or was it simply a situation where you were able to mention your services and could possibly gain some business? If she is balking at the cost, just charge less than the Y and Mom'll probably take you up on it. If she was specifically looking for a Y type atmosphere then I would assume that is why she signed on to go. Is the registration fee refundable for her if she chooses not to go?

Personally, as a 4th grader I would be embarrassed to have to go to daycare versus an after school program. But that is just me.
perhaps the Y near your house is "better" run than the one near my house. Near my house all the workers are college aged and act like they do not understand children or care, nobody helps with homework and no snack is provided. At least that is the way it was when I checked it out for my daughter a few years ago and that is what I am being told is still happening by neighbors and when I interview parents.

Of course there are benefits to a Y type center for school ager's but pointing those out is not a good marketing idea.
Michael 03:07 PM 09-01-2011
More posts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...school+-+rates
daycare 03:51 PM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

4. Friends

I think maybe a better way of wording this would be that at your house there will not be a turn over of staff. At the Y, they seem to have a very high turn over, as they employee young high school/college kids.
MamaJ 04:19 PM 09-01-2011
so she called and wants to send her daughter here instead of the Y! yay! I'm glad I ended up asking her.

Said her daughter preferred to come here, and it was a bonus that she wouldn't have to pick her up after work. Should be some easy extra money since I'm used to her coming after school anyway just to hang out and play. Of course I'll add in a snack and homework help...but pretty nice!
Abigail 10:12 PM 09-01-2011
Fantastic! Most parents here would go for someone who would be conveniently located because our winters are horrible here too! That is an extra $180 a month for you!
Tags:after school - rates, rates
Reply Up