Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Give Them a Refund?
aemcclane 03:13 PM 11-06-2015
I have a family that is leaving next Friday due to a move. They have two boys in my program and have paid through next Friday. My daughter came down with pneumonia yesterday and so I was closed today. My doctor said I could open again after 24 hours of antibiotics, so I am planning on being open next week, unless she gets worse however right now it's a mild cough.

The parents called yesterday to say that are choosing to remove their boys now and would like a full refund for next week's tuition (minus the holiday they are graciously paying me for). I really don't want to pay them back at all. But I'm thinking about offering to split the remaining four days. Thoughts?!

Here is my initial email that I am thinking about sending:

I wanted to touch base on your request for tuition refund for next week. Per the contract agreement we signed, tuition is due when I am open for business. Currently, based on her current health and the doctor's recommendation, the plan is to be open next week. Of course, we will continue to monitor her and should additional symptoms occur, I will make the appropriate call to close. I understand your personal situation in wanting to protect the boys' health, especially for the move, however, that doesn't change the fact that I will be open and you have agreed to pay tuition through next Friday. It is also in our contract that you will give me two weeks' notice for contract end and while that was originally honored, it wasn't with this final request.

As I said, I completely understand your position as parents, so I'd like to propose that we split the remaining four days tuition. That would be $106, in addition to the $106 for 2 sick days, for a total of $212 returned.
Michael 04:56 PM 11-06-2015
What does your contract say regarding refunds and two week notices?
aemcclane 06:55 PM 11-06-2015
Rates
The weekly rate will be $135 and is due biweekly beginning January 2nd. If Child is absent from care the normal weekly rate will still be due and payable.

Termination after the Trial Period
After the two-week trial period has been completed, you must give me a two-week written notice if you wish to terminate this contract. I may terminate the contract at will without giving any notice.
TXhomedaycare 09:13 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by aemcclane:
Rates
The weekly rate will be $135 and is due biweekly beginning January 2nd. If Child is absent from care the normal weekly rate will still be due and payable.

Termination after the Trial Period
After the two-week trial period has been completed, you must give me a two-week written notice if you wish to terminate this contract. I may terminate the contract at will without giving any notice.
Does it say in your contract no refunds? I would tell them no since you are open. Your draft is okay but I wouldn't go into detail about your daughter. Just reference your contract and that you have received doctors approval to open and their new request does not warrant a refund. They can either use the services they paid for or not.
Ariana 12:11 PM 11-07-2015
Why would you split the money? the contract states that they owe you this money and it their choice not t send their children, not yours. you will be open.

I would simply say "As per the contract a two week notice is required and payment for those two weeks is non refundable. Please let me know if you change your mind about sending the boys next week. Have a good day".
Josiegirl 03:23 AM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Why would you split the money? the contract states that they owe you this money and it their choice not t send their children, not yours. you will be open.

I would simply say "As per the contract a two week notice is required and payment for those two weeks is non refundable. Please let me know if you change your mind about sending the boys next week. Have a good day".
Exactly! And what does your contract say about your closures, do parents pay 52 weeks regardless or do you credit for days you close? I would not refund their payment, it was their choice to leave earlier. Your reopening has been okayed by your doctor.
e.j. 06:22 PM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:

You plan to be open next week; they're making the decision to keep their children out of day care. You cover this situation in your contract by stating, "If Child is absent from care the normal weekly rate will still be due and payable" so you really don't owe this family a refund.
Tags:refund
Reply Up