Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questioning Job Change
newtoeverything 08:59 AM 03-10-2010
I had a job for 7 years and got pregnant with my son. I had him in May 2009 and decided I wanted to be home with him - but still had to make money. I started my daycare at the beginning of this year and feeling some anxiety, I guess. I don't really know if this is what I'm feeling or not, but I am second guessing daycare. I've always enjoyed teaching children at church and babysitting, but this is totally different that sitting behind a computer all day. I don't know why I feel the way I do, I guess it's just something different that I'll have to get used to. Sometimes feels overwhelming and never ending. I don't know. I am going to be home with my son no matter what, but wondering if anyone else had these feelings when they started out and if you have any advice.

I have my son - 10 months, 2 1/2 yr, 17 mnth and 6 month (parttime).

HELP??
DBug 10:08 AM 03-10-2010
I totally hear what you're saying. Home daycare is such a unique job, and you never really know what you're getting into. It took me several months, maybe 6, to really get into a good routine and groove with the kids. Now the time just flies by, but at the beginning, it would drag, and I would be questioning myself non-stop. And then I'd be exhausted after work, and feel guilty for not being able to give 100% to my husband and kids. But I got used to it, the kids got used to me, and my family got used to everything (and now they help out around the house more too), and it's working out quite well.

Make sure you've got a routine you enjoy (including free play-time for the kids so you can sit down, or catch up on dishes, or whatever). And don't be afraid to let the less-important things go.

Hang in there! It will get easier as time goes by!
kitkat 10:18 AM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
Make sure you've got a routine you enjoy (including free play-time for the kids so you can sit down, or catch up on dishes, or whatever). And don't be afraid to let the less-important things go.
Exactly what I was going to say! It is very overwhelming at first. A routine is a must and will make your life easier. And just because you make a daily routine, don't be afraid to change it when you aren't happy with it. I remember feeling so isolated at times when I first started child care. DH would go off to work and see other adults and all I had were the kids. Make sure to find things that will keep you connected to the outside world
SunflowerMama 11:39 AM 03-10-2010
This post and the answers has really helped me out a lot! I just started this week and have had moments over the last couple of days when I question my decision.

I have almost 3 year old twins and I think they are getting adjusted to all of this too and the split attention between them and the dcks.

I had a complete routine, monthly menu plan, schedule, activities (I used to teach preschoool) before I had my first dck, and the minute he arrived on Monday my schedule somehow went straight out the window.

I know it will get easier and we will all fall into a routine but these early days have definitely had their moments of questioning whether I made the right decision.
originalkat 02:58 PM 03-10-2010
I also taught preschool for years before I had kids and then stayed at home a few years as a SAHM before starting my home daycare/preschool. It has taken a long time to get used to working at home, being my own boss, running a business and not just taking care of the kids etc... It has been 2 years and sometimes I STILL feel this way. But all in all, I love my job and the perks far outweigh the disadvantages. I dont know if I could ever work for someone else again after running my own business. Just give it time.
newtoeverything 07:48 AM 03-11-2010
Thank you so much everyone. It makes me feel A LOT better to know that I'm not the only one feeling pressure and craziness..ha. Thank you all!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!
Tags:job change
Reply Up