Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After Christmas Themes?
butterfly 11:21 AM 10-07-2013
I'm planning ahead. I'm curious what your themes are for January and Febuary. I pretty much have my plans set through the end of the year, but I'm stuck in a rut for Jan/Feb.
SilverSabre25 11:57 AM 10-07-2013
Hibernation
The World in Winter
Dinosaurs
Friendships (around Valentine's)
Vehicles
Penguins
Bears
blandino 12:00 PM 10-07-2013
January I do a winter theme, since November has Thanksgving - December has Christmas - so Januray gets to be winter/snow.

February is a strange one, since it isnt nice enough to introduce spring stuff yet. I think we are doing a farm theme that month, but I can't be for sure. Either that or another theme that isn't season specific, dinosaurs/transportation/ocean/farm.
MBF 12:04 PM 10-07-2013
I do winter/snow theme in January, I also use the Jan Brett book "the Mitten" and introduce winter animals. Sometimes, I use a book series, such as "if you give a mouse a cookie" and make it last a couple of weeks until a holiday arrives.
butterfly 12:15 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by MBF:
I do winter/snow theme in January, I also use the Jan Brett book "the Mitten" and introduce winter animals. Sometimes, I use a book series, such as "if you give a mouse a cookie" and make it last a couple of weeks until a holiday arrives.
That was another thought I had too - to do a book series. I thought about Eric Carle books. I'd have to do some research though on addon items - crafts, etc.
LK5kids 01:07 PM 10-07-2013
I do dental health
Health and safety...great time to do a unit on germs!
Polar animals-north and south
Winter
Valentine's day
transportation
momofsix 01:48 PM 10-07-2013
January: Wonderful winter
Emergency! (Police/fire etc)
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
(Into feb)
February. Valentines day
Castles/knights etc.
MBF 04:45 PM 10-07-2013
I have done the Eric carle books , they are great (I am all about books!) Little cloud is an excellent one, pintrest has lots of hungry caterpillar ideas or just goggle it. Brown Bear, Brown Bear is another good one to teach colors.
tandow 07:09 AM 10-08-2013
I only have my daughter and my niece but here's what we do:

In January we do:

Winter Weather and Animal Changes
Snowmen and Snowflakes
Opposites and Safety (We do safety every three months)
Transportation

In February we do:

Shadows (tie in with Groundhogs Day and a Peter Pan theme)
Valentines and Friendship (field trip to the post office to see how mail is delivered)
Birthday Fun (President's Day and Birthday Graphing)
The Human Body (Body parts and hygiene)
Starburst 05:42 PM 10-08-2013
January:
New years resolutions help them make and keep resolutions
Hopes and wishes for the new years a wish bag or wish list of what they want to happen by the end of the year
Football Super bowl
Refreshing hand washing/ "spring cleaning", reviewing old work, rearranging an area, sing songs about change (I love Fleetwood Mac's 'Landslides')
New beginnings Have them to let go of the past (like grudges) and start from a blank slate
New experiences Maybe you can try introducing them to new foods, teach them a little about new languages/cultures, or new music/games.

February:
Valintines/Love/Friendship/Hearts ways to be a good friend (possibly anti-bully tips), talk about what they love or like, talk about what they think a good friend is, talk about what the heart does (maybe let them listen/ feel their own pulse) and simple ways to keep the heart healthy (exercise, eating healthy, drinking less soda more water)
Manners How to be courteous, how to show respect, things to always say and never say. Can also be called social skills or part of a friend ship curriculum.
Safety Help them get ready for spring and summer by practicing sun safety (sun block/ hats), fire/earthquake safety, and simple health tips (i.e. drink more water when it's hot; how to tell if you have heat exhaustion or need more water or to go into the shade)
Black History Month You can teach them the Martin Luther King Jr, song or read a book about diversity (maybe introduce more culturally diverse dolls if needed)
Ground Hog day talk about Pawtucket Pete and what it means if he sees his shadow
Hibernation talk about the animals who hibernate and will be waking up soon.
Old Folk Tales Read stories about Johnny Appleseed, John Henry, and Paul Bunion; maybe sing some old folk songs too.
Tags:theme - after christman, theme - christmas, themes
Reply Up