Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Is it?
morgan24 05:06 AM 05-12-2011
That dcm lets her son drink a diet coke on the way to my house. Thankfully he goes to school, but had to tell me about it, in a look what I got way. But she brings applesauce with no sugar added that dcg hates and will have a huge fit if she sees it. She also brought dcg a fuze drink. Whatever I will just put both back in her bag and serve what I already have planned for today.
melskids 05:45 AM 05-12-2011
i have one that doesnt want me to use yellow cheese because of the chemicals they put in it to "color" it that way.....yet, her kids eats pop tarts and soda all the time in their car i dont get it
MN Day Mom 05:48 AM 05-12-2011
I have one that is often too full from Tootsie Rolls in the morning to eat breakfast with us.
nannyde 06:08 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
I have one that is often too full from Tootsie Rolls in the morning to eat breakfast with us.
Candy in the morning is actually becoming very common.

It's a natural progression of giving the ultimate in happiness. Kids are so used to having pop-tarts, HIGHLY sugared cereal, donuts, high fat high sugar waffles and french toast sticks... that they really aren't a "treat" or a good bribe that will be enough to get the kid not to cry in the morning.

Giving straight candy is becoming a norm because it litterally is the highest possible amount of straight sugar other than just giving them a bowl of straight sugar. Candy isn't as messy as straight sugar so candy is perferred.

The good news is there's no where else to go. This generation has reached the ultimate in the absoulute worst possible thing to give your kids for breakfast.

We are having the onset of type two diabetes getting younger and younger. Once the average onset is preschoolers THEN people will change it... but not until then. That's not too far off. Another generation and it will be commonplace.
Meyou 06:41 AM 05-12-2011
I was at the beach last year and there were two women behind me talking loudly. One was telling the other that a Poptart had a WHOLE 1/2 serving of fruit per poptart so she just give them two and doesn't have to worry about getting fruit and veg into her kids for a while.

I don't think a poptart has anything remotely resembling fruit in it but maybe that's just me preferring FRUIT to you know....look like fruit not sugar jam.
morgan24 06:42 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Candy in the morning is actually becoming very common.

It's a natural progression of giving the ultimate in happiness. Kids are so used to having pop-tarts, HIGHLY sugared cereal, donuts, high fat high sugar waffles and french toast sticks... that they really aren't a "treat" or a good bribe that will be enough to get the kid not to cry in the morning.

Giving straight candy is becoming a norm because it litterally is the highest possible amount of straight sugar other than just giving them a bowl of straight sugar. Candy isn't as messy as straight sugar so candy is perferred.

The good news is there's no where else to go. This generation has reached the ultimate in the absoulute worst possible thing to give your kids for breakfast.

We are having the onset of type two diabetes getting younger and younger. Once the average onset is preschoolers THEN people will change it... but not until then. That's not too far off. Another generation and it will be commonplace.
I agree with you. I don't understand why parents think that it's not okay for a child to cry or not get their way about everything. The obesity rate in our school district is above 60% in the elementary. They are going to grow up being obese and staying that way. The upcoming generations are going to have so many more health issues. It's really sad.
GretasLittleFriends 06:52 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I was at the beach last year and there were two women behind me talking loudly. One was telling the other that a Poptart had a WHOLE 1/2 serving of fruit per poptart so she just give them two and doesn't have to worry about getting fruit and veg into her kids for a while.

I don't think a poptart has anything remotely resembling fruit in it but maybe that's just me preferring FRUIT to you know....look like fruit not sugar jam.
This reminded me of a woman I used to know who thought it was ok to feed her kids fruit snacks because they were made with some fruit juice. She said they were cheaper too. Serious lady? My reply to her was "cheaper in the short run, but not the long run" (thinking of health issues later in life). Buy bananas and apples, they're cheap and her kids LOVED them.
Meyou 07:06 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
This reminded me of a woman I used to know who thought it was ok to feed her kids fruit snacks because they were made with some fruit juice. She said they were cheaper too. Serious lady? My reply to her was "cheaper in the short run, but not the long run" (thinking of health issues later in life). Buy bananas and apples, they're cheap and her kids LOVED them.
I've heard that one before too. The math is what gets me. 6 pks of fruity snacks for $2.49 here and they wouldn't fill a fly OR I can buy 9 or 10 bananas or 15-20 apples for about $2. Cheaper and they have full bellies of healthy food.
missnikki 07:14 AM 05-12-2011
I've heard that one before too. The math is what gets me. 6 pks of fruity snacks for $2.49 here and they wouldn't fill a fly OR I can buy 9 or 10 bananas or 15-20 apples for about $2. Cheaper and they have full bellies of healthy food.
The problem is, if a child has been offered PopTarts, then only apples...you have to shove a tootsie roll in them really quick or else they start to cry...and that cramps my style.
nannyde 07:18 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I agree with you. I don't understand why parents think that it's not okay for a child to cry or not get their way about everything. The obesity rate in our school district is above 60% in the elementary. They are going to grow up being obese and staying that way. The upcoming generations are going to have so many more health issues. It's really sad.
Yup the ages of 6-12 is the highest increase age group in obesity now. The statistics are staggering.

That age will go down as the next few years unfold.

I feel sorry for the future School Nurse's of America. They will have little five year olds lined up down the hall to get their blood sugar tested before they get their insulin shot. They will be managing insulin pumps on really young kids.
Meyou 07:19 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
The problem is, if a child has been offered PopTarts, then only apples...you have to shove a tootsie roll in them really quick or else they start to cry...and that cramps my style.
That explains why Poptart lady needed to bring a wagon with a fullsized cooler in it full of crap to keep her 3 kids from whining.

My poor DCK's cheered on days I brought frozen yogurt tubes on the other hand because that meant it was a junk food day.
snowborden1 07:26 AM 05-12-2011
I had a dcm who would send her 1 year old with a TV dinner, a can of vienna sausages, a pack of pop tarts, and a fuze! I finally had to remind her AGAIN that I provide food and that anything she sends he will not be eating as he needs to eat what all the others are eating. He was very picky and hardly ate at all (but enough to keep him alive )during the 2 years I had him. Jee I wonder why...
AfterSchoolMom 07:29 AM 05-12-2011
I wish I could get 20 apples for $2!! I'm in the Southeast US and apples are $4 for a bag of about 8-10! Of course, I buy them anyway. Fruit snacks are a big no-no at my house.
Meyou 09:14 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I wish I could get 20 apples for $2!! I'm in the Southeast US and apples are $4 for a bag of about 8-10! Of course, I buy them anyway. Fruit snacks are a big no-no at my house.
I go to a local place and I live in a great climate for apples so it works out in my favor. I pay $6 for 20 lbs and have several varieties to chose from. I chose the ones with small apples since these little guys never finish one anyway.
Tags:soda, sugar
Reply Up