Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Science Area Help
Country Kids 02:38 PM 03-20-2013
I have never had a "Science" area as I feel science is every where when we are outside/inside. From what I'm reading though for the "Stars" program I'm going to have to have a "Science" area.

I need ideas of what to put in it and where to get the items!

Thank you for any help you can give me on this!
Blackcat31 02:42 PM 03-20-2013
A couple favorites.

http://pinterest.com/sbishop/preschool-science/

http://www.prekinders.com/science-page/
Crystal 02:47 PM 03-20-2013
Make it simple:

baskets of "loose parts" Rocks, pine cones, shells, bark, small pieces of driftwood, a bird's nest, etc. All free. Add some magnifying glasses, bug collectors, a tornado tube, books, magnets and you have a science area!
itlw8 03:10 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Make it simple:

baskets of "loose parts" Rocks, pine cones, shells, bark, small pieces of driftwood, a bird's nest, etc. All free. Add some magnifying glasses, bug collectors, a tornado tube, books, magnets and you have a science area!
perfect list and they do not all have to be out at the same time.. add paper and pencil to write or draw what they see and books or pictures
snbauser 03:12 PM 03-20-2013
Our science area has our sensory table, magnets, magnifying glasses, color lenses, science books (on weather, gravity or whatever else we have out at the time) and baskets of rocks, shells, and prisms. Depending on the time of year it may also have our ladybug habitat or butterfly garden, pinecones, gourds, or whatever else we might come across.
Starburst 10:44 PM 03-20-2013
You can make 'Gunk' all it is is startch powder and water. Its really cheap and you can use it multiple tiems (just add water when it dries) and its really fun too, we played with it in my preschool curriculum class (TIP:make sure there is no lotion on your hands and that everyone has clean hands before playing with it; BONUS: it makes your hands really soft ). You can put some books on animals, bugs, maybe get fish tank/ant farm/hampster or some type of class pet, some plastic bugs/dinosaurs/sea critters. You can get some plants/ rocks/ pebbles/ "gems"/ sand/ shells/ starfish. You can get one of those butterfly growing kits, buy some lady bugs or get a mini vinus fly trap from osh or Orchard's. You can have some measuring cups, liquid droppers, measuring tapes/rulers, magnifying glasses, kelydascopes, and different types of tools. You can also get things that help foundation of physics such as balancing (on a slight beam or taped line), catching (hand-eye cordination), aiming (tossing), and spacial awareness (blocks). You can make a valcano out of a 2 litter bottle. You can get them simple (nonelectronic toys) like a wind up cymbal monkey that they can take apart to see how it works. You can have one of those skeletons (or just get out a halloween decoration) to teach them about the bones or what they look like inside. Maybe if you have a sand box or sand table you can do an activity once a week were you hid a fake bone (dog toy) or a suprize at the bottom and they have to dig it out (archeology game). You can also have a scale and height chart to track everone's growth. You can also just go down to the $1 in the school aisle and you can get a table of elements poster to put on the wall (more useful for school age kids but it makes it look more science-y). You can also try to make a list or a collage of animals that are from different species but in the same family that you can do weekly (EX: Felines- cats, bob cats, tigers, lions/pumas, leapords, lynx, cheetahs).
MissAnn 04:09 AM 03-21-2013
I have a gecko and a snake. I used to have a tarantula but it died after I forgot to remove it before cleaning my carpet. :-(. I also have a weather station I bought off of amazon. Then the usual sciency things as well.
Crystal 07:09 AM 03-21-2013
OH, yes, creatures are perfect!!!!

Kaleidoscopes
prisms
color wheels
seasonal sensory table/bins
light table (if affordable)
discovery bottles
plants
start seedlings to move outdoors in spring
Tags:learning area, science, science projects, science/discovery centers
Reply Up