Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Just Signed My Lease!!
missy 02:01 PM 02-10-2014
So excited (and a little scared:-) but I finally made it 100% official! Had to go through local zoning hearings, loan dept., etc. etc. But months later I finally get to start the fun part, getting all set up!
JLH 02:39 PM 02-10-2014
Let the fun begin!
ECEVA 04:53 PM 02-11-2014
We're under construction as well. Very exciting! When do you expect to open?
Stepping 06:01 PM 02-11-2014
Congratulations! How long did it take to get to this point? I'm just starting out on the initial planning stages now.
missy 07:53 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Stepping:
Congratulations! How long did it take to get to this point? I'm just starting out on the initial planning stages now.
Thanks! Finding a place that was the right size/layout/price was the biggest chore, it took a few months. All daycares in this particular municipality are considered an "exception" to the normal zoning ordinances so I had to pay $400 to apply for the exception and go before the council members to get approved. That took awhile since they only have meetings once a month. The frustrating part was that I couldn't initiate the majority of the paperwork stuff until I actually signed the lease--the LLC and fictitious name, liab.insurance, EIN #, business acct., logo design, website, etc. etc. But having the time to prepare and research really paid off, I am very efficient now since I knew what I had to do. I have got a lot of good info. from these forums too, such as websites and computer programs, etc. etc. My goal is to open as soon as possible because it sucks to pay rent without even being open for business yet. The state (PA) licensing application is a chore then the inspection, so it will all take time. I hope to open my doors by 5/1/14.

What state are you in? Feel free to PM me:-)
missy 07:57 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by ECEVA:
We're under construction as well. Very exciting! When do you expect to open?
I feel confident I can open by 5/1/14, if my state application doesn't get kicked back and all goes smoothly with inspection:-)
llpa 04:38 AM 02-12-2014
Congrats Missy!! I am in Pittsburgh and it took me 15 loooong months to open my rented space. I really love it every day tho! I would have done home based but the hubs works nites sleeps days. Yayyyy!! So much fun getting it all going! Best of luck to you
Stepping 12:57 PM 02-12-2014
I'm in illinois. We already have a place in mind, it's in our current building but there are tenants in it at the moment.

Our biggest hurdle is permits for parking and drop off/pick up. We have to apply to the city for these and they won't look at them until we've applied for building permits. It takes 9-12 months to get the parking permits and we can't start any rehab work until they're approved.

I'm hoping for a spring 2015 opening. It seems so far away
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 02-12-2014
Congratulations!

Setting up is definitely the fun part!

Hope all goes well for you and hoping there are no set-backs!
missy 01:09 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Stepping:
I'm in illinois. We already have a place in mind, it's in our current building but there are tenants in it at the moment.

Our biggest hurdle is permits for parking and drop off/pick up. We have to apply to the city for these and they won't look at them until we've applied for building permits. It takes 9-12 months to get the parking permits and we can't start any rehab work until they're approved.

I'm hoping for a spring 2015 opening. It seems so far away
Wow it sounds like a chore there. I really really wanted to buy a house as a center but zoning, especially parking, was ALWAYS an issue here. what a shame. good luck!
missy 01:10 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by llpa:
Congrats Missy!! I am in Pittsburgh and it took me 15 loooong months to open my rented space. I really love it every day tho! I would have done home based but the hubs works nites sleeps days. Yayyyy!! So much fun getting it all going! Best of luck to you
thanks! it IS exciting! The painting is being done as we speak, I can't wait to see it when it's ready. Hope I picked the right colors, that was so hard!
missy 01:10 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Congratulations!

Setting up is definitely the fun part!

Hope all goes well for you and hoping there are no set-backs!
thanks, Blackcat!
missy 01:11 PM 02-12-2014
Just curious, was it renovations that took so long or the actual licensing? I am hoping to pass the first time. do you think that's do-able?
ECEVA 02:11 PM 02-12-2014
How big is your space? We're aiming for an April 1st opening so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that construction continues to progress without delay. I'd love to keep in touch!!!
ECEVA 02:15 PM 02-12-2014
Are you using any of the webcam/child care management programs? I'm looking at Watch me Grow for webcams as well as ProCare and Life Cubby for administration. Wondering if you have any feedback.
llpa 06:25 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by missy:
Just curious, was it renovations that took so long or the actual licensing? I am hoping to pass the first time. do you think that's do-able?
I found a space that didn't need much reno, but all the inspections by the township and county took forever. I passed on my first try w the actual licensing inspection. I just went online and got the list of things they would be looking at and made sure they were correct and ready. It was still nerve-wracking tho you can do it! It will go great!
missy 07:59 PM 02-12-2014
I found a space that didn't need much reno, but all the inspections by the township and county took forever. I passed on my first try w the actual licensing inspection. I just went online and got the list of things they would be looking at and made sure they were correct and ready. It was still nerve-wracking tho you can do it! It will go great!
That's good to hear, and great job!
missy 08:13 PM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by ECEVA:
Are you using any of the webcam/child care management programs? I'm looking at Watch me Grow for webcams as we. as ProCare and Life Cubby for administration. Wondering if you have any feetjem k.
My space is 3500 sq.ft. yes let's keep in touch!

No I haven't looked into those yet, that is part of what I am calling my "Phase 2", i dont want to run out of money too early:-). I am going to look these ones up right now. have you decided to implement them yet?
ECEVA 07:03 AM 02-13-2014
I'm going to attempt to send you a PM now!
Tags:lease, starting a daycare
Reply Up