Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen
Country Kids 06:27 PM 06-15-2018
What is everyone's policy's on sunscreen?

I was wanting parents to put it on before arrival but then all my parents put it on at 6:00 AM and we don't go out till 9:00. So I guess by that time the sunscreen is no longer good and needs to be reapplied.

I don't really want to have to put on 5-6 different sunscreens and take 1/2 an hour to do it and have to stop between each application to wash my hands.
redmaple 06:38 PM 06-15-2018
I provide and apply. One type of sunscreen x 5 kids, twice a day. Legally unlicensed here, so no protocol to follow.
Jupadia 06:56 PM 06-15-2018
No protcal to follow. I have 5 kids from 3 family's if you include my own 2. I have parents provide it and apply it before going out both morning and afternoon. I dont worry about washing hands between brands but do two of the boys brothers one who had a reaction to sunscreen at home last year so for them I do make sure that I've got the clean hands first.
daycarediva 08:56 AM 06-18-2018
I charged parents a supply fee for sunscreen. I supply (then I can use a bulk sunscreen log instead of individual forms.

I use gloves so it's easier to strip them and apply it to the next child.

12 kids x 2-3x/day is time consuming though! Wish spray was safe!
hwichlaz 10:15 AM 06-18-2018
I don’t have anyone with skin allergies right now, so each parent brings a bottle of water proof sweat proof at least spf 50 for my stash, and a face stick with their child’s name on it.

I apply while they are putting on shoes and going potty.
DaveA 03:19 AM 06-19-2018
I supply it and put it on the children. Gloves are a huge timesaver. If DCPs want a particular brand they can supply it.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 06-19-2018
My first kid arrives at 7:30. All my other kiddos are here by 8:30. We go outside at 9:00 for the first time. Most parents apply it at drop off. I reapply later in the afternoon when we go outside again, but I don't really find it difficult.

Most families in my neck of the woods are outdoor/lake/woods type families. Applying sunscreen here is just as embedded in our summer time lives as eating and/or drinking.
Country Kids 07:05 AM 06-19-2018
Well I did some checking yesterday for sunscreen for our state.

1. I don't have to log when I put it on.
2. Parents can request you not to put it on-all mine want it on though.
3. It does have to be reapplied every two hours soooo I will need to reapply it at least twice in the mornings no matter what. We really don't go outside in the afternoon but if we do, I will have to reapply it twice in the afternoon also.
Pestle 11:47 AM 06-19-2018
Parents send it in, I keep it just inside the door to the backyard, and I apply it.
Ariana 11:59 AM 06-19-2018
Everyone sends their own and I ask about any allergies before applying because I do not wash hands in between kids. I wipe my hands in a towel only. I bring the kids out on my back deck and they line up and get sunscreen put on. It goes pretty quickly because I only apply down two arms and down two legs, done! I do not apply to their face because I request wide brimmed hats that cover neck, face and ears. I have had too many issues with sunscreen getting in eyes and ears so I don’t do it anymore.

I do find zinc based natural sunscreens to be a bit if a PITA because it takes a while to rub it in but if you massage it in your hands first and warm it up it tends to go on faster.
homeishere 01:30 PM 06-19-2018
Is your yard shaded at all? I take everyone out, but have them play in the shady half of the yard until they have sunscreen on, then they are free to play wherever. I also use gloves so don’t have to wash hands in between, making it even easier to do once we are out.
BrynleeJean 02:00 PM 06-19-2018
i provide an apply.
though if i didnt my derm keeps telling (and my kids pediatrician) contrary to my belief all these years of sun exposure boating and whatever, that i only need to apply sunscreen once 30 mins before sun exposure and then again if i sweat a bunch or go in water, same with my kids but to of course always get that UVA UVB stuff.
Country Kids 02:43 PM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Parents send it in, I keep it just inside the door to the backyard, and I apply it.
Ours has to be under childproof lock, so once applied it has to go back into the cabinet.
hwichlaz 10:19 PM 06-19-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I do find zinc based natural sunscreens to be a bit if a PITA because it takes a while to rub it in but if you massage it in your hands first and warm it up it tends to go on faster.
It’s supposed to sit on top of the skin and look white. No need to rub it in. It’s a physical sunblock.
Tags:sunscreen
Reply Up