Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Policy on Power Outages
midaycare 06:54 AM 11-13-2015
I live in a cold state and lost power today for the first time since I opened. I really haven't thought about it, and to be honest, I'm not sure if there are state rules on it or not.

Anyone here have rules on it?
Play Care 06:59 AM 11-13-2015
If I don't have power I have to close. We can use generators though. We must have heat (one of our regs is that the heat has to be set to at least 68) and running water (we are on a well so no power means no water)

If the power goes out and the kids are already here I usually just keep them - even if I don't hook up the generator. Chances are good that the power would be back before parents could get here anyway. I keep bottled water on hand and I also have a gas fireplace that works without electricity, so we won't freeze.
Fiddlesticks 07:04 AM 11-13-2015
If I lost power, I would not open, and if the power went out and didn't appear to be coming back within a very short time, I would call the parents to pick up ASAP.
KidGrind 07:08 AM 11-13-2015
For health and sanitation reasons we close:

Utility Outages

• Provider will not take children into care during water or power outages under any circumstances. It’s a health and safety issue.
• Parent(s) will be notified immediately during a water or power outage. o Parent(s) must pick up child(ren) for all utility outages lasting more than one hour, no exceptions.o Refusal to pick up will result in two-week termination notice. o Provider will notify parent(s) of any city, ___________ Community planned utility outages. ___________ will close on planned utility outages. No refunds or credits will be given due to utility outages.
midaycare 07:09 AM 11-13-2015
Today, the power went out about 8:45 am. I have running water. No heat, but I keep the house at 72 degrees when the kids are here, so it is warm still. It no power by lunch, I suppose I will call for pickup so the kids don't have to nap here.
midaycare 07:11 AM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
For health and sanitation reasons we close:

Utility Outages

• Provider will not take children into care during water or power outages under any circumstances. It’s a health and safety issue.
• Parent(s) will be notified immediately during a water or power outage. o Parent(s) must pick up child(ren) for all utility outages lasting more than one hour, no exceptions.o Refusal to pick up will result in two-week termination notice. o Provider will notify parent(s) of any city, ___________ Community planned utility outages. ___________ will close on planned utility outages. No refunds or credits will be given due to utility outages.
I like this, and if it were any colder outside today, I would have to close asap. Since I don't already have a policy, I'm in no man's land for today, anyway.
KidGrind 07:19 AM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I like this, and if it were any colder outside today, I would have to close asap. Since I don't already have a policy, I'm in no man's land for today, anyway.
It’s a health and safety issue. A lot of people do not consider the food and water temperature. Hot, 70 degrees, or freezing outside doesn’t matter.
Unregistered 07:24 AM 11-13-2015
My policy is if there is no water and/or power for more than one hour I close due to health, safety, and sanitary reasons. If dcks are already here I call for pick up. I call my electric or water company to see what happened and get an estimated time of when utility will be up and running. I do not refund or credit for the day should I need to close for anything beyond my control (power outages, no water, natural disasters). I have had to do this several times and had no families that were upset because I go over it at interview, it's in my handbook and contract.
Indoorvoice 07:27 AM 11-13-2015
I'm in MI too and there are no state rules about power outages, but you have to have heat and water. I have a rule in my contract about it though. I personally just don't want to run without power. I lost power over the summer last year while kids were here and it wasn't fun. My playroom is downstairs and not much light gets down there.
Indoorvoice 07:29 AM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
It’s a health and safety issue. A lot of people do not consider the food and water temperature. Hot, 70 degrees, or freezing outside doesn’t matter.

midaycare 09:03 AM 11-13-2015
I feel an addendum to my contract coming on!

Thanks everyone
childcaremom 09:13 AM 11-13-2015
I don't have time specifications in my contract but do tell parents that my main concerns are comfort and food storage.

If it is expected to come on shortly, we will survive. If it is expected to be out indef. then I will close and am paid. Obviously my time depends on the weather. In winter, I would probably close before nap period.
daycare 11:00 AM 11-13-2015
Ditto on closing. I could not operate without power for more than one hour.

I have in my PHB that all kids would be sent home for the day.
DaveA 11:05 AM 11-13-2015
I would probably make an exception if I had talked to utilities and knew it was coming back online any minute, but otherwise anything over an hour without power/ water and I close. Can't remember if IL has a specific rule on it or not.
melilley 01:05 PM 11-13-2015
If the power goes out before I open, I let parents know that it's out and I will let them know when it comes back on. They cannot bring them until it does. If it goes out during the day, I'll let them know that if it doesn't come back on by a certain time, they have to pick up. We can't let it get colder than 60 something (I forget, I'll have to look it up).

Two years ago, we didn't have power fro 10 days! Luckily it was Christmas week and I only had to close for 3 days!
LysesKids 02:11 PM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
If the power goes out before I open, I let parents know that it's out and I will let them know when it comes back on. They cannot bring them until it does. If it goes out during the day, I'll let them know that if it doesn't come back on by a certain time, they have to pick up. We can't let it get colder than 60 something (I forget, I'll have to look it up).

Two years ago, we didn't have power fro 10 days! Luckily it was Christmas week and I only had to close for 3 days!
Yeah, I had to close for 4.5 days due to the storms here last Feb; my house was at 20 degrees for the last 2 days while it was -20 or colder outside. I'm all electric and it was way too cold to bbq outside. Praying it doesn't happen again because I hated going to a hotel, but I did it to stay warm and alive - we had a death in a house down the street
midaycare 04:10 PM 11-13-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Yeah, I had to close for 4.5 days due to the storms here last Feb; my house was at 20 degrees for the last 2 days while it was -20 or colder outside. I'm all electric and it was way too cold to bbq outside. Praying it doesn't happen again because I hated going to a hotel, but I did it to stay warm and alive - we had a death in a house down the street
I didn't realize Tennessee even got that cold!
LysesKids 04:32 PM 11-13-2015
I didn't realize Tennessee even got that cold!
2 years running we have had -20 for a few days when ice storms came thru; I had friends in Central TN that lost power for almost 2 weeks (I'm in East TN, 40 minutes from the Smoky Mtns); My electric bill doubles in the Winter and I use shrink wrap plastic on my windows (first week of Dec each year). We have a freeze warning tonight starting at 1AM
Febby 05:31 PM 11-14-2015
When I lived in Idaho, my daycare's power outage policy was based on outside temperature. I can't remember the specifics, but essentially you had to pick up way sooner if the power went out when it was -10 outside versus 70.

We had a small generator, but it was set up to run the well pump (so we had water). Heat was propane there, but it was horribly inefficient without power to run the fans for it.

I actually have no idea what my current center's policy is. I suppose I should check. I'm pretty sure there are no direct state regs on it though. I know Idaho didn't when I was there (which was quite a few years ago), but I doubt they do now either.
284878 06:13 PM 11-14-2015
Today, the power went out about 8:45 am. I have running water. No heat, but I keep the house at 72 degrees when the kids are here, so it is warm still. It no power by lunch, I suppose I will call for pickup so the kids don't have to nap here.
My power went out Thursday morning 30 minutes before the kids got here and came on just after lunch. Our menu for the day was cold lunch. We had running water until minutes before it came on. I called both DCM and let them know DCM 2 called back but DCM 1 did not get the message until she got there. This was the 3rd time the power went out since I opened last September. The other 2 times was mid summer. Both of those times it was for an hour or less while the kids were here.
I don't have any thing in my handbook about power outages, but I would like to add something with winter coming up, I do not want to stay open with out power. Summer with out power is one thing, but winter, I am not doing it.
Play Care 03:18 AM 11-16-2015
If my power goes out before kids get here, and I can't get the generator going, I call to cancel. But legally I can't operate without power (heat and running water)

If the kids are here, I call the company and ask their estimated return time. In almost 11 years I've never had to send kids home after they've gotten here. Maybe it's because my work day is shorter than most day cares, but typically the power goes out just as I'm preparing lunch and is back on by the end of nap time. I think once it was still out by pick up time, but DH had come home and had the generator going.
In any event, but the time most parents would be able to get here, the power would be back on anyway.

On a side note, as a consumer, if my power went out frequently for long periods I would be in constant contact with both the power company and my elected officials. When we first moved here we had an issue with frequent short outages and a couple long ones (why we got the generator to begin with) but with enough complaining, they've made big strides to fix the issue. I want to close for fun vacations with my family, not because the power's out, KWIM?
284878 10:54 AM 11-16-2015
Hey I emailed my license and this is what she said.

If a major storm hits, the department takes those situations on a case by case basis to determine the recommendations we give our providers. If there is a temporary power outage that doesn’t prevent you from appropriately caring for the children (feeding, diapering, hand washing) I think it would be ok to try to wait it out for a little while or contact the light company to see if they can estimate when to have the power back on. If an electricity outage prevents your home from maintaining a temperature of 65 degrees then you need to look at closing until you have heat. Again if there is a major storm, you have to use your best judgement to keep children safe. If an outage occurs, contact me and I can help you determine what the best options are as far as rule compliance. However the most important thing in case of a power outage or other emergency is your safety and the safety of the children. Please follow your emergency procedures to make sure everyone is safe and then contact me if you need guidance during an emergency.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 11-16-2015
I have a policy similar to KidGrind's.

I will notify parents via text when the power goes out so that they have a head's up that should the power remain off for an extended amount of time that they will be receiving a call for pick up.
spud912 12:52 PM 11-16-2015
How often does everyone's power go out? Is it primarily due to cold weather? The last time the power went out (for >1 minute) for me was probably back in 2005. It was due to a malfunction in the electrical box for the city block and the power was out for an hour or so.

I guess I'm debating if it's worth adding to my policies. I know in older communities in Phoenix, there are mature trees that fall during monsoon season and take power lines with them. I don't think there are mature trees anywhere within 1 mile of my house.....at least none by power lines. Maybe I will err on the side of caution and add it.....
Play Care 01:48 PM 11-16-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:
How often does everyone's power go out? Is it primarily due to cold weather? The last time the power went out (for >1 minute) for me was probably back in 2005. It was due to a malfunction in the electrical box for the city block and the power was out for an hour or so.

I guess I'm debating if it's worth adding to my policies. I know in older communities in Phoenix, there are mature trees that fall during monsoon season and take power lines with them. I don't think there are mature trees anywhere within 1 mile of my house.....at least none by power lines. Maybe I will err on the side of caution and add it.....
I live in a rural area of upstate NY. Between winter weather and trees falling on lines and thunderstorms we lose power a few times a year. It was really bad when we first moved here (so much so we bought a generator) we were without power for one week during a winter storm. But people raised a fuss and they fixed a lot of the issues (old power lines, overhanging tree limbs, etc)

Honestly as a parent if my day care closed a lot due to power outages I'd have to find one that had an alternate power source or that didn't lose power as much. Especially as an in home I try to minimize time off.
LysesKids 01:49 PM 11-16-2015

See where you are, if the power goes out, I assume your kids could overheat quickly without AC... and without running water how would they stay hydrated? I worry about the cold winters (my power goes out at least once every year long enough to close for a day) you need to worry about summertime
KidGrind 01:55 PM 11-16-2015
Last year for several days there was a storm and a lot of trees fell on power lines. So it was on and off back in forth. The issue I had was it was on and off for sometimes 2 to 6 hours.

I opened 2 days and had to send kids home. One day the morning started out without power, so I closed before drop off.

This year, no outages at all. However, the policy nipped all of the, “It’s okay Johnny can stay we don’t mind if the power is out."
midaycare 02:27 PM 11-16-2015

Our power goes out a few timesa year, but usually it is for a few hours, no more. Friday (I'm the OP) was the first time it has gone out during daycare, and I've been open 2 years.

We have really, really bad winters. I live in a snow belt, we get 100+ inches each winter, many blizzards, etc. On top of that our area is known for not getting much sun in winter, so it just doesn't melt. Our schools have snow days built into their calendar because each year we have them. Some years we have too many and our kids have to go extra days in June.

So ... all things considered, you wouldn't want your child anywhere without power in the winter here. But very few places have generators. Not daycares and learning centers. Not our schools. It's kind of dumb, really.
midaycare 02:28 PM 11-16-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I live in a rural area of upstate NY. Between winter weather and trees falling on lines and thunderstorms we lose power a few times a year. It was really bad when we first moved here (so much so we bought a generator) we were without power for one week during a winter storm. But people raised a fuss and they fixed a lot of the issues (old power lines, overhanging tree limbs, etc)

Honestly as a parent if my day care closed a lot due to power outages I'd have to find one that had an alternate power source or that didn't lose power as much. Especially as an in home I try to minimize time off.
I think if a daycare was closing for power outages a lot, there is a bigger problem! It should be a once in a crazy while situation.
mrsnj 10:36 AM 11-17-2015
I do not have it in writing myself and prob should but have never had an issue. We have well water. No power, no water or toilets. That said, I make my decision based on time or year and cause and who I have. Summer I am more likely to wait a bit and see. We can pop open windows. Go out and play. I can get water from the pool for toilets. Babies with bottles are an issue. They are first factored in to my decision. Winter I am more likely to make a decision sooner. I would have no heat on top of it. No pool water or outside play. Depending, I give it about an hour-two hours and start contacting my furthest parents away as they will take longer to get in. Then go down the list to local. If power is out before drop off I contact....I have however still had a parent show on my door step after saying no power don't come. Was slightly livid when she couldn't understand why that made a difference and why couldn't the child stay.
Unregistered 01:46 PM 11-17-2015
We have a minimum temperature here in Oregon. 68 degrees.
Tags:policy - power outage, power outage
Reply Up