Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closure Policy?
Unregistered 06:37 PM 11-14-2018
We are newly opened Home Daycare this year and this is our first winter. Though in our contract it already says that we will follow our County's announcement regarding weather closure for schools. 2 parents still asked about it and saying that since they only walk to our daycare they won't get really affected by any traveling disruption from snow. Since, they really don't get snow day off or anything like that they need to drop off their kid. So they can get to work.

90% of our clients are from the neighborhood that just or can walk to us everyday. So, I'm wondering what's other daycares policy on closures and what do you usually tells parents who doesn't seems to get it? Thanks in advance.
Jo123ABC 06:48 PM 11-14-2018
I've thought about this too because a few of my families close by BUT if/when you have a family not close by you can't just say only they will not be allowed to bring their child. It should be fair across the board. Last year the school cancelled for a snow day and every single one of my parents near me kept their children home. The one who lives out of town risked their child and themselves on really dangerous roads and dropped dck off. I Soo regretted not closing. I thought I'd end up stuck with this kid overnight because the weather was that terrible so I ended up closing early and sending him home. I changed my policy to match my county's school inclement weather closings after that.
Michael 06:49 PM 11-14-2018
Here are some threads regarding closing doe to weather:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...due+to+weather
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ng+due+to+snow
kendallina 07:11 PM 11-14-2018
I stay open. Most parents have to work still.
BUT, if it's in your policies to close for snow days, then there it is. I would make sure that you're clear with families about it when they sign up and again at the beginning of the winter season.
lblanke 07:26 PM 11-14-2018
If you elect to remain closed, then it may be because emergency vehicles would not have timely access in the event of an actual emergency (if roads are difficult to travel on in your area).
DaveA 04:43 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by lblanke:
If you elect to remain closed, then it may be because emergency vehicles would not have timely access in the event of an actual emergency (if roads are difficult to travel on in your area).
This what I was thinking. Plus DCPs can have an accident walking to daycare or work just as easily as driving. I don't follow school schedule but will close if I think the roads in our area aren't safe.
amberrose3dg 03:13 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
We are newly opened Home Daycare this year and this is our first winter. Though in our contract it already says that we will follow our County's announcement regarding weather closure for schools. 2 parents still asked about it and saying that since they only walk to our daycare they won't get really affected by any traveling disruption from snow. Since, they really don't get snow day off or anything like that they need to drop off their kid. So they can get to work.

90% of our clients are from the neighborhood that just or can walk to us everyday. So, I'm wondering what's other daycares policy on closures and what do you usually tells parents who doesn't seems to get it? Thanks in advance.
One thing is are they walking to work? I mean they can get their kid to by walking. What happens when they get stuck in it commuting to work. I close when schools close now. I know i am at home and dont need to travel in it. Your parents do and unless you are prepared to be stuck passed closing with children you need to explain that. I also would not open for 1 or 2 kids either.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:29 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
One thing is are they walking to work? I mean they can get their kid to by walking. What happens when they get stuck in it commuting to work. I close when schools close now. I know i am at home and dont need to travel in it. Your parents do and unless you are prepared to be stuck passed closing with children you need to explain that. I also would not open for 1 or 2 kids either.
That was my thought too. It's not so much about them being able to get to my house to drop off, as it is about them being able to get to my house to pick up on time. As well as making sure emergency services are able to get to my house if needed. We rarely have snow days, because it's just a fact of life here, but when we do it's usually because they are shutting down highways and roads, in which case that would affect Emergency Services, so therefore I close as well. Also, my area has had an influx of people from out of state who moved here for work, and many of them have no clue how to drive in the winter, so they usually heed the warnings. If they close roads, you can actually get ticketed for driving on them also, so people tend to stay put.
Gemma 04:36 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I used to follow the school closing but there were days where the school should've closed and it didn't, it was confusing, so I changed my policy, now I stay open and leave it up to the parents to decide but I get paid whether the kids attend or not.
Tags:closing due to snow, closing due to weather, closures, emergency plan, emergency preparedness plan, emergency response plan
Reply Up