Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Three Year Old Trasher
DJV 07:39 AM 09-07-2011
Any suggestions on how to cope with a three year old boy who is a trasher? The other kids can do a great set up with the waffle blocks, lego, train tracks, making a big city with everything imaginable and he will come into the room and kick everything over. If one child has a toy this boy will cause a scene with tears etc. to get the toy from them, tears the heads and limbs off Barbies, and just now tore a big board book in half. I give him a time out every time he does these things but as soon as he goes back to the playroom with the other children he starts all over. I've spoken to his parents which is a basic waste of time. "Oh he's just a boy". I really don't want him attached to my hip all day long but don't really know what to do with him.

Any ideas?
familyschoolcare 07:51 AM 09-07-2011
Start making parents pay for anything he ruins by using it in an unappropriated manner. If he knocks down a block structure he did not build then he can not play with the blocks for the rest of the day.
wdmmom 09:29 AM 09-07-2011
If my kids are building something and someone knocks it down, they lose their play privelidges. They get to sit and watch.

Otherwise, put a piece of masking tape on the floor. The older kids have a taped off area that they can play without being bothered.
laundrymom 09:46 AM 09-07-2011
I would treat him like a biter. He would shadow me. Be my closest pal. I wouldn't GIVE him the chance to be mean. Parents would be charged for book. And child would be put on behavior probation. Barring any developmental delays or issues, he would be sitting beside me every waking moment. As far as his parents saying " oh he's just a boy" I would answer with " no he is a misbehaving three year old child. His gender has nothing to do with behavior and I will not allow him to bully the others. "

Good luck. (((())))
Tags:bully, destructive, trasher
Reply Up