Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking of Interviews...
Josiegirl 10:18 AM 11-04-2013
What do you always make sure to ask the parents when you first meet with them? And what kinds of questions do you get from them? Do you do an over the phone interview first to see if their needs will mesh with yours, so you can avoid wasting anyone's time?
I'd like to be better prepared IF I ever do start getting calls again. Pretty slow time around these parts...
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 11-04-2013
On the phone BEFORE scheduling an interview I ask/tell them:

Once they set up an interview, then I go over my handbook/policies, daily routine, my philosophies about child care and what my role is to both the children and for parents.

I also talk with them about sleep, meal and behavior routines.

Then I ask them if they have any additional questions.

At the end of the interview, I let them know that I will let them know if I am willing/able to enroll their child within 5 business days.

HTH
TwinKristi 11:23 AM 11-04-2013
Most everyone asks my rate before anything else LOL But I ask their days & hours of care needed, age/gender of child, and then I usually email my contract to them. If they're really pushy and want to just start (had 2 of those) I have my contract and paperwork ready when they come to interview.
melilley 11:29 AM 11-04-2013
Most ask my rates first also. I ask them how old their child is, the hours/days they need care for, if they have any allergies (I am not an allergy free home so I think this is important) and if they like dogs (I have a lab). If we sound like a match, I set up an interview and also direct them to my website, which has all my info like the handbook, sick policy, etc.... but I always advertise with my website so most already see it, unless they found me somewhere else.

When they come for the interview I show them around, ask them or let them ask me questions and usually go over the handbook, tell them about our days here, and usually they meet the rest of my family.

Things are slooowww here too! I have had an opening for almost 3 months now, but no one seems to need care for a child 30 mo. and up. All but one of the calls that I have gotten have been for under 30 mo.
melilley 11:31 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On the phone BEFORE scheduling an interview I ask/tell them:
  • Hours they work
  • # of days they are looking to have child in care
  • Age of child
  • rates
  • date they want to have their child in care by

Once they set up an interview, then I go over my handbook/policies, daily routine, my philosophies about child care and what my role is to both the children and for parents.

I also talk with them about sleep, meal and behavior routines.

Then I ask them if they have any additional questions.

At the end of the interview, I let them know that I will let them know if I am willing/able to enroll their child within 5 business days.

HTH
I like your 5 day policy! Do you first ask if they are interested or just get back with them in 5 days?
Leanna 11:43 AM 11-04-2013
Over the phone I ask:
Parents name and contact info.
Child's name, age, DOB, and gender.
When they would like to start

Over the phone they ask:
If I am still in business (aparently our child care referral list is outdated and there are providers on it that have closed)
My hours
My rates
My address

During the interview I go over:
Our daily schedule
Policies such as pick-up time, the food program, etc.
Some of my philosophies such as the fact that it is important we go outside everyday (even in rain and snow)
I ask the parents if their child has any allergies or medical issues, if s/he has been in childcare before, and what their typical day is like

During the interview I usually get asked:
How long I have been a provider
How I care for a mixed age group (first time parents of infants always ask this)
Will I stay open past my closing time
If I do CIO
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I like your 5 day policy! Do you first ask if they are interested or just get back with them in 5 days?
Nope.

I just send them an e-mail stating that if they are interested in enrolling then I can enroll them and have them begin care on xx date.

If they are not interested then I ask that they reply by xx date and let me know.

I usually give them 3 business days to reply. If they don't respond by that date, I move on.

Sometimes if I really know they are interested and want to enroll, I will just call them and let them know the space is theirs if they want it.
melilley 11:56 AM 11-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope.

I just send them an e-mail stating that if they are interested in enrolling then I can enroll them and have them begin care on xx date.

If they are not interested then I ask that they reply by xx date and let me know.

I usually give them 3 business days to reply. If they don't respond by that date, I move on.

Sometimes if I really know they are interested and want to enroll, I will just call them and let them know the space is theirs if they want it.
Oh I see! I'm just getting into using the computer/internet for childcare related things, such as email-I have not sent one yet...lol.
Familycare71 09:03 PM 11-04-2013
I do things very similar to BC...
On the phone or via email- however I was orginally contacted- I ask for ages, hours and days that are needed. I tell them my rates if asked (usually they do). I may also ask about why they are looking for care if they are chatty.
In person I show them the space first. Then we sit down and I minimally go over what paperwork is provided and highlight some parts- other times I go through things very thoroughly. I usually base it on what I think the parent wants or what I think they need. I also incude talk about my general philosophies and get an idea about theirs.
Usually parents tell me they will let me know with in a few days. If I am interviewing more than one person for the spot I generally let them know that. If I decide they aren't a good fit I just email later that the spot was filled .
The following day (if I want/need them) I follow up with an email saying it was nice to meet them, remind them if they have questions to let me know, etc...
I have a pretty good success rate with interviews. The only time people don't enroll is due to cost.
Tags:interview - checklist, interview - questions
Reply Up