Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Self Promotion - FB Pages and the Like
Controlled Chaos 10:34 PM 12-06-2014
I just launched my FB page. I had a webs page before, which is more for current parents as it is more private and I post pics a few times a week.

I want the FB page to be more promotional. I got 50 likes in the first few days and now am trying to figure out what to do from here. I don't want to bug the crap out of people following it BUT I do want to highlight the activities we are doing so people know I am awesome If you have a FB page, how often do you post? What do you post? I have posted pictures of the space, art projects and only pictures of the children where you can't see their faces. I have permission from all my current parents to do whatever with their kids pictures but I don't want people to see my page and think I am not cautious or respectful when it comes to children's images.

How do you manage social media and promoting yourself?
Wednesday! 02:36 AM 12-07-2014
You could "pin" a post at the top of your page that says you only use pictures with parental permission. I use pictures weekly and use the page to post about projects, closing reminders, openings, etc. I have 118 likes with only 5 families enrolled. You'd be surprised how much business it can drive your way.
Controlled Chaos 02:46 PM 12-08-2014
Thanks for the idea of the pinned post.

I am hoping to get a few referrals through it. I am just worried about posting so much people unfollow me. I get over excited sometimes I am using it a bit for research. I have decided to do a weekly or maybe monthly poll asking for feedback on things like: What is your favorite craft project ever to be sent home from daycare/school, or what is your preferred method of communicating with a teacher/provider etc
Wednesday! 04:04 AM 12-09-2014
I think if you post once a day or every other day, that's the perfect amount. You don't want to blow up their news feeds, but you do want to show up fairly often. Also, encourage parents to like your posts. Facebook will filter you out if they don't occasionally engage with your posts, and then they won't see it when you do post.
butterfly 11:11 AM 12-09-2014
I don't have facebook. It was too much of a time suck for me, but I do go on my dh's once in a while to keep up on the gossip. My only suggestion is to post more often than just when you have an opening. Dh's feed comes up with another local in home daycare always posting about having openings. It really makes you wonder why she has openings so often in odd times of the year. Just kind of puts a negative image in your mind about them. IMO...

Interested to hear from others. I have thought of starting a business page, but I worry about child safety. I would want to be able to post pics of the kids and all the fun things we do...
Controlled Chaos 07:25 AM 12-10-2014
Butterfly - I am addicted to FB, but I figured I might as well work while there lol
I do worry about child privacy and safety, but I make sure all parents sign a waiver (mainly because I want to be able to use any great pics I get for advertising!). I figure mst parents over share their children online anyway, that me sharing appropriate and limited pictures of them doing fun things is better than their parents showing their bathtime and naked sprinkler time to the world. KWIM?

Wednesday - Good tip for not just using it to beg for enrollment. I want to create the impression that openings are rare and people should "act fast" when there is a spot.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:52 AM 12-10-2014
This forum convinced me to get a FB business page, although I don't use FB personally. All the parents (and prospective parents) use FB, so it seemed like I need to be a presence there. I post once most work days. I use pictures of the kids, but don't show their faces unless they're mostly obscured by hair or something. I post examples of what we do. My goal is to have a lot for a prospective parent to browse through if they're curious about what my program is like, and to get my name out there to as many people as possible. I do a private blog for families, so that's where better photos and more-detailed documentation go. FB is, for me, just advertising.

Recently, it occurred to me to seek out other like-minded group's pages, and "like" their posts (though I am particular; I only "like" it if I really like it), as a way to get my business name popping up where others might see it.

You can see my FB page here, if you like.
butterfly 10:09 AM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
This forum convinced me to get a FB business page, although I don't use FB personally. All the parents (and prospective parents) use FB, so it seemed like I need to be a presence there. I post once most work days. I use pictures of the kids, but don't show their faces unless they're mostly obscured by hair or something. I post examples of what we do. My goal is to have a lot for a prospective parent to browse through if they're curious about what my program is like, and to get my name out there to as many people as possible. I do a private blog for families, so that's where better photos and more-detailed documentation go. FB is, for me, just advertising.

Recently, it occurred to me to seek out other like-minded group's pages, and "like" their posts (though I am particular; I only "like" it if I really like it), as a way to get my business name popping up where others might see it.

You can see my FB page here, if you like.
I love your page! I love the activities you do with the kids! I wish I could have sent my kids there when they were that age!!
Wednesday! 10:14 AM 12-10-2014
Here's mine if you'd like to check it out. www.facebook.com/OwlsNestNurseryPreschool
nothingwithoutjoy 10:16 AM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I love your page! I love the activities you do with the kids! I wish I could have sent my kids there when they were that age!!
Thanks so much!

I realized I should add that I've been focusing lately on the older kids' activities in my posts (as much as I can without alienating the parents of the younger kids) because I am currently hoping to attract some older children to add to the group next fall.
Controlled Chaos 10:06 PM 12-10-2014
Thank you both for sharing your pages! How do you like another page? I have liked a few educational pages through my person page but can't figure out how to do it through my business page struggling. And how to you make a post or status stick to the top? Is there a way to make it stick? For someone who spends an embarrassing time on FB I sure am struggling with this lol.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:53 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Thank you both for sharing your pages! How do you like another page?
You're welcome.

To like someone as a business page, when you're on someone's page, there are three little dots in a row near where it says "share." Click those, and you'll get a drop-down menu. One choice is "like as your page."
Controlled Chaos 10:05 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
You're welcome.

To like someone as a business page, when you're on someone's page, there are three little dots in a row near where it says "share." Click those, and you'll get a drop-down menu. One choice is "like as your page."
Brilliant! Thank you!
Reply Up