Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm scared
Unregistered 10:52 AM 05-14-2015
I'm finally scheduled for my pre-licensing inspection next week and I'm scared. I'm not scared of the inspection. I spoke with the inspector and she was pretty detailed on what I needed done before she came. I'm scared of rejection. What if no one trust me enough to want to leave their kids with me? I'm scared that if/when I get kids I don't know what to do with them and we end twiddling are thumbs looking at each other clueless, I'm scared of not budgeting right and not making a profit, I'm scared I may not have the patience to deal with unreasonable parents, I'm just scared.
Controlled Chaos 10:58 AM 05-14-2015

Starting a business IS scary! But also so EXCITING! Remember it takes time. Filling all your spots may take a few months, but keep at it. Also, there is a learning curve. Your first year is about learning what kind of business/daycare you want to run. This forum is great for ideas and feedback. You can do it!
AuntTami 11:43 AM 05-14-2015
I was scared of all those same things when I first started. And you know what? Everything I was afraid of HAPPENED! But you also wanna know something? Less than a year later, here I sit finally making a decent profit, have a full daycare and a waiting list a page long. We've established a routine that works for us and I LOVE my job. My first 6 months were HARD and TRYING and I cried many times, wondering if I made a mistake. Once I got ONE full time child, the rest fell into place. Once parents saw that I had one child, they were all much more willing to enroll. Keep your chin up, it will be okay. This forum is a WEALTH of knowledge. Use it!
butterfly 12:14 PM 05-14-2015
I think it's a great sign that you are scared. It'll give you the drive to make your business successful. You'll make some mistakes along the way. The mistakes will grow you and mold your business.

I was scared too. Most all of us probably were. I was most scared about interviews and making sure I sold myself to get clients. I later learned that I don't need to sell me, I need to interview them. I have the power. I didn't realize that at first. I tried way too hard to get clients and ended up with the wrong clients. But that was all a great lesson learned and I'm kinda thankful that I made that mistake in the beginning.

As long as you are kind and loving with the kids, the kids will be happy. Kids can find joy in a cardboard box. You have nothing to worry about as far as entertaining the kids.

I wish you the very best of luck. It's a scary journey to start, but one that is filled with so many rewards. Keep us updated as to how things go for you.
Josiegirl 03:33 PM 05-14-2015
Of course it's scary going in(especially if you've read a lot of posts and rants on here LOL). It's still scary to me when I have a spot to fill and have to face the dreaded interview and find the right fit and all that. And I've been doing it for 30+ years. Should be old hat by now, right? Not at all, each child and family bring their own set of challenges.
But you'll do fine!!! Get your name put on a childcare resource and referral list, join a networking group, take classes, be seen at places with kids(not in the creepy stalkerish way) , get yourself out there so you become a familiar face. Volunteer to read at the local library for children's story hour. Or at a local school, they love it when someone can come in to read to small groups of kids.
Good luck!! And once you start getting kids, just have fun. Get down on the floor and be silly, dance, read books, paint, make playdoh, sand or water play. Start with basic simple stuff and get more comfortable as you go.
May you be filled with families who love and appreciate you, and kids who use their listening ears all the time!
Nurse Jackie 03:47 PM 05-14-2015
(not in the creepy stalkerish way) Thank you so much for your words of encouragement it really makes me feel so much better. I will keep you guys posted
Nurse Jackie 03:49 PM 05-14-2015
I was even scared to write "kids" instead of "children" due to the Kid as a Pejorative? thread
earlystart 12:54 PM 05-15-2015
As far as worrying about money, have you run the numbers to see how much you'll make if you're fully enrolled and let's say half-way enrolled (and set aside like 20% for taxes until you figure out if you'll owe quarterly)? Don't go crazy on art supplies/toys every month, just use what you have around the house. For snacks/meals, come up with a 2 week schedule, and just rotate out those same foods. When one item runs out, put it on your shopping list, and you'll always have a supply, and don't have to worry about buying too much of one thing and not using it and it goes bad.

For selling yourself to parents, have you come up with a biography and handbook of some sort with references? It helps to have a website, you can get a free blog at wordpress or blogger, and make "static pages" instead of just blog posts, and have a separate section for things like "schedule", "philosophy" "about me", etc. You can explain you are excited to start your own daycare, and come up with something that makes you a bit unique compared to other places.

As far as being worried you'll be twiddling your thumbs all day, have you made a daily schedule yet? Your time will be filled, trust me. Morning freeplay, breakfast, circle time, outdoor time, lunch, nap, diapers, snack, more freeplay, more outdoor time.

When I first started, I wrote down the general overview I wanted to give people about my daycare when they toured/interviewed with me. Even though it didn't exactly play out in the exact order I wrote down, at least I had the words and phrases in mind already for when they ask questions, or when there is an awkward silence. Maybe mention how you have other interviews lined up to give them the impression that there's a lot of interest.
Nurse Jackie 03:48 PM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by earlystart:
As far as worrying about money, have you run the numbers to see how much you'll make if you're fully enrolled and let's say half-way enrolled (and set aside like 20% for taxes until you figure out if you'll owe quarterly)? I'm still trying to figure out how much I want to charge, I called kindercare and found out they're charging $100 more a week then what I want to charge. So my weekly price is still up in the air. [/b] Don't go crazy on art supplies/toys every month, just use what you have around the house. [color="red"]ok[/COLOR] For snacks/meals, come up with a 2 week schedule, and just rotate out those same foods. When one item runs out, put it on your shopping list, and you'll always have a supply, and don't have to worry about buying too much of one thing and not using it and it goes bad. great idea

For selling yourself to parents, have you come up with a biography and handbook of some sort with references? It helps to have a website, you can get a free blog at wordpress or blogger, and make "static pages" instead of just blog posts, and have a separate section for things like "schedule", "philosophy" "about me", etc. You can explain you are excited to start your own daycare, and come up with something that makes you a bit unique compared to other places. Yes I have a handbook and website. I'm waiting to advertise after my inspection.

As far as being worried you'll be twiddling your thumbs all day, have you made a daily schedule yet? Your time will be filled, trust me. Morning freeplay, breakfast, circle time, outdoor time, lunch, nap, diapers, snack, more freeplay, more outdoor time. Yes I do have a schedule

When I first started, I wrote down the general overview I wanted to give people about my daycare when they toured/interviewed with me. Even though it didn't exactly play out in the exact order I wrote down, at least I had the words and phrases in mind already for when they ask questions, or when there is an awkward silence. Maybe mention how you have other interviews lined up to give them the impression that there's a lot of interest.
My problem is I'll have everything in my head of what I want to say and how I want to say it then when its time to deliver whatever it was I was rehearsing I start stuttering and forgetting words (all bad). I like to refer to it as me being socially awkward.
earlystart 09:11 AM 05-17-2015
Yeah, centers like Kindercare are going to be more expensive than home daycares. I advertise myself as an alternative to a big preschool center, so the parents get all the benefits of preschool curriculum from a preschool teacher with the bonus of having a smaller group size, and being in a big cozy home environment. I'm lucky that my local Resource & Referral agency posts the average tuitions by zip code, it was hard to find but some googling helped me.
Reply Up