Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning the Floor is Easy!
Abigail 11:32 PM 11-28-2010
I just purchased a Shark Steam Mop on the Black Friday crazy sale for only $36 when they are normally marked at $99. I would never pay the $99, but it's totally worth what I paid! I used it twice so far on the kitchen, laundry room, and bathroom floors. Is this a good tool to use in the daycare environment too?

It's actually makes a little noise when the steam comes out, so I wouldn't be able to use it during nap time. I would be able to use it after closing time though. I still have to sweep or vacuum the floor first, but I always have to do that because I have cats and their fur seems to find a new place to hide everyday!

My other question is for those who already have a steam mop. Maybe you can explain to me how it cleans and sanitizes without chemicals. It only uses water and creates a hot steam and collects on a pad like what swiffer's use. I just don't understand how it actually sanitizes, it's just water. I always used Pinesol water or Vinegar water, that is what I grew up with.
MN Mom 03:43 AM 11-29-2010
Superheated steam (steam created under pressure) is aproximately 212 degrees F. The steam mop creates superheated steam and the temperature when it leaves the mop should be aproximately 212...however this all depends on the amount of pressure which is being generated by the device itself. The lower the pressure, the lower the temperature. However doing a quick search, the average steam mop claims average temps of 189-212. The mops on the higher end of that scale will do a better job of sanitizing.

Steam has been used as a sterilizer in the scientific community for many many years via the use of the autoclave. This device subjects equipment to supersaturated steam using extremely high pressure values and creates a steam vapor of 249.8 degrees F (or higher) for aproximately 15-20 min, which sterilizes the equipment.

Enjoy your mop!
momofboys 06:24 AM 11-29-2010
I really want to get one of those but I could not justify buying it (on a very tight budget). Maybe for Christmas, I think I would love having it!
missnikki 06:26 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
Superheated steam (steam created under pressure) is aproximately 212 degrees F. The steam mop creates superheated steam and the temperature when it leaves the mop should be aproximately 212...however this all depends on the amount of pressure which is being generated by the device itself. The lower the pressure, the lower the temperature. However doing a quick search, the average steam mop claims average temps of 189-212. The mops on the higher end of that scale will do a better job of sanitizing.

Steam has been used as a sterilizer in the scientific community for many many years via the use of the autoclave. This device subjects equipment to supersaturated steam using extremely high pressure values and creates a steam vapor of 249.8 degrees F (or higher) for aproximately 15-20 min, which sterilizes the equipment.

Enjoy your mop!
I think that was one of the most informative, concise answers I've seen in a long time! I'm about to go buy one now. I am not joking. Thanks, MNmom!!!!
tymaboy 07:07 AM 11-29-2010
I got my mop last yr for Christmas. I love it! It makes getting food stuck to the floor easy to wipe up. I can always tell the difference in the floor when I mop compared to the steam mop. Every once in awhile I will take a spray bottle with a mixture of Mr. Clean & water & spray the pad on the steam mop if my floors are looking super dirty or I am expecting company over.

My mop makes some noise but not much at all. It would not bother me to run it during nap time at all.
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 11-29-2010
OOOOH! I missed the sale at Wal-mart for that awesome price, but I am still planning on buying one! I think I might even get the hand held one so I can sanitize the furniture too! Sears has been selling a Shark Steam stick mop for $49 but I haven't purchesed yet, I fugured they would have some price cuts around the holidays so I am holding out. I have also heard the hand held one is great for tile and grout in showers and tubs! My sister has one and uses it in her DH work boots! She says it kills the germs and the odors!!
laundrymom 08:31 AM 11-29-2010
I dont have the shark but another steamer,... I have to agree,.. the floor is just cleaner feeling when I use it, no matter how often I swiffer,.. it never feels clean unless I steam. I love my steamer.
Lilbutterflie 09:00 AM 11-29-2010
I have the Bissel Steam Mop; you don't have to keep pumping the handle to release the steam. I have had mine for about a year, and it's been worth EVERY penny! When I first purchased it, I cleaned the floor first with the Swiffer Wet Jet, and walked on it after it was dry with white socks. The floor was still dirty. Then I cleaned it with the steam mop, and walked with white socks after it was dry. CLEAN socks!!! Yay!! I don't think I will ever use anything else. (o:
laundrymom 09:08 AM 11-29-2010
I do the same thing!!! lol, I have a europro industrial one that I bought 8 years ago(ish) I use it weekly. It was so worth the price. I also use it to clean carpet, windows, toys, bathtubs, toilets, stoves, etc. I love it!

Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I have the Bissel Steam Mop; you don't have to keep pumping the handle to release the steam. I have had mine for about a year, and it's been worth EVERY penny! When I first purchased it, I cleaned the floor first with the Swiffer Wet Jet, and walked on it after it was dry with white socks. The floor was still dirty. Then I cleaned it with the steam mop, and walked with white socks after it was dry. CLEAN socks!!! Yay!! I don't think I will ever use anything else. (o:

MG&Lsmom 09:48 AM 11-29-2010
I can't believe I stopped my mom from buying one now! I didn't realize they went for so much full price. I use a microfiber mop with vinegar water on my hardwoods and tile. I've never used anything else and I feel like it works just fine. Now I'm curious what this thing can really do.
Abigail 09:32 PM 11-29-2010
For my Shark Steam Mop to be effective, do I actually have to go over the same spots many times or just once or twice? I honestly don't have a large floor area I can use it on, so my pad doesn't look too dirty after doing the entire floor. I want to buy (sometime next year probably) a handheld steamer to use on curtains and furniture and clothing if you're suppose too, lol. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks, so far I love my steam mop, I just wish the cats would stay away from it because they get really close to the steam like they want to attack it. ha ha.
Tags:clean, floor, sanitize, shark, steam
Reply Up