Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies & Sickness (Runny Noses/Nasty Coughs). . . Not Sure How To Handle/What To Do
MommyMuffin 03:09 PM 01-10-2011
Sometimes daycare parents come upstairs...follow me into rooms...sit down and talk.

I dont mind them coming upstairs but I get embarassed. My daycare is in my living room and there are always toys everywhere and always papers my husbands buisness stuff and recipes on my kitchen counter. In my daughters room is the pack and play and she has a little mess in there too.

I clean up the toys 2 times a day and they always throw them all over anyways.

I am not a slob and there is never a dish in my sink. I was just wondering how often do you clean? Do your dc parents ever mention the "mess"? Or perhaps I am the only lazy one who lets things slide....
nannyde 03:22 PM 01-10-2011
No parents in the playroom.

I have the kids clean up four times a day and I don't allow them to throw them all over. They have to actually PLAY with what they get out. I don't let the floor get too cluttered before I have them pick up.
ammama 03:52 PM 01-10-2011
I clean up 2x a day - right before lunch, and right before hometime. After we clean up they are not allowed to take toys off the shelves. We'll usually read books at the end of day while waiting for parents to come. Most of them get picked up at 4:30-4:45, so we're not waiting long.
SilverSabre25 03:59 PM 01-10-2011
My parents see the daycare area all the time and don't seem to care. My kitchen is always a disaster too and no one's ever said anything about it. No wait, one parent did say something--my first week of daycare!
momatheart 04:07 PM 01-10-2011
Well I would sometimes have lunch dishes sitting on counter. I didn't have a dishwasher and some days I would have have to wait to get them done. no one ever said a word. UNTIL I stopped doing daycare and an old daycare parent who was an old neighbor came inside my house and said wow you don't have any dishes on the counter I said amazing what I get done during the day when children don't take priority.
sahm2three 04:25 PM 01-10-2011
I guess that besides toys, nothing else is lying around. Regs say there can be no dishes left in the sink or lying around, so they are always caught up. Also, I am anal cleaner at night and it is clear of papers and etc. My parents always remark at how clean my house is!
Gurdy 05:21 PM 01-10-2011
My house always feels like a gigantic mess to me. I feel like I can clean every second of the day and it would still be a disaster! Of course I can not clean all day because I have to tend to the kids- so I feel like it is a mess! I always get comments from daycare parents about how clean my house is, so I think it is just perception.
Unregistered 05:26 PM 01-10-2011
I always let parents know during the interview process that my house isn't going to be the cleanest house because I can't see the sense in picking up toys several times throughout the day. We do it a couple of times a day and that's it. Same thing goes for dishes. I may not get a chance to get them done right away, but there's never too many. If they care, then I may not be the best fit for them. As far as my downstairs is concerned, they have no business even asking about downstairs because that's my family's personal space and it can be as messy as I want it to be.
kendallina 05:45 PM 01-10-2011
I'm able to keep things pretty picked up while the kiddos are here aside from a few toys here and there. My parents never seem to mind and anytime I apologize for the mess, they blow it off, like, "are you kidding?? you have kids here all morning, you're house is fine." So, I don't think they mind.
mac60 03:34 AM 01-11-2011
I don't want parents following me thru my house, I want them to stay on the area rug that is provided for them inside the door and I will get their child and bring them to them. There is no reason for a parent to go into your child's room, etc. Just because a child comes to my home for daycare, doesn't give parents free roam of my home. My kitchen is very small and inefficient. I don't have much counter space at all, nor much storage. I clean up the dishes after lunch and sweep the floor after lunch and snack. Sometimes I think what is the point until the day is done, because I will just have to "do it again".
dEHmom 04:52 AM 01-11-2011
During the interview I make sure my house is 100% spotless, good smelling, and very homey (if it means baking some cookies before they walk in so be it!).

But I do also warn them it's messy before they come in, even though i know it's not! lol.

As parents they have to understand children need to play and be creative. And with more than one kid it is almost impossible to get anything done if you are following behind them constantly cleaning up.

I have a tiny house and it's very difficult to organize well as my toy room is my living room. Very irritating to me. But I have my method, and I never have a toy mess. I often worry about this when parents come to pick up their kids and the house looks exactly the same even cleaner than when they dropped off. I know what time my parents come to get their kids, and usually we are cleaned up and just sort of hanging around when they come in. But I know for me, I often wonder if I should let the parents see their child playing when they get picked up?!
I have things sorted into bins, or locked in a closet. Kids have to ask for certain thigns. If they'd like a puzzle they have to put away what they were already playing with, and I'll let them pick a puzzle. Then kids don't get overwhelmed with the mess, and it helps teach them that if they dont' make a mess, they don't have to clean up!
marniewon 05:01 AM 01-11-2011
I think if I was a daycare parent, and the house was spotless all the time (interview, d/o, p/u, early p/u, etc) then I would be concerned that either the kids are not playing ever, or that dcp is not minding my children, but spending all day cleaning.

With that being said, I clean for interviews, we pick up toys twice a day, I do dishes during nap, and sweep as necessary/as time allows. I don't know if my dcp's think my house is a mess or not, but if they are not comfortable with my level of cleanliness, they know where the door is.
MyAngels 08:14 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I think if I was a daycare parent, and the house was spotless all the time (interview, d/o, p/u, early p/u, etc) then I would be concerned that either the kids are not playing ever, or that dcp is not minding my children, but spending all day cleaning.

With that being said, I clean for interviews, we pick up toys twice a day, I do dishes during nap, and sweep as necessary/as time allows. I don't know if my dcp's think my house is a mess or not, but if they are not comfortable with my level of cleanliness, they know where the door is.
I'm like this, too. I don't even do any special cleaning when I have an interview. I don't want to set up any unrealistic expectations .

I have a schedule that I follow all year round for keeping the house clean, including thorough cleaning in the spring and fall, and then all I have to do on a daily basis is keep it picked up and fairly tidy. The daycare areas have their own cleaning schedule, including a twice-a-week disinfecting.
Greenshadow 08:17 AM 01-11-2011
I think Im alot like Baybee is. I clean as I go because thats what Ive always done and its natural for me. That doesnt mean Im cleaning all day but I only allow so much mess at a time. There are toys that I leave out that they can play with anytime but they have to put them away before I take out special toys. I help them clean up usually otherwise it wont get done. They are all around two years old and learning to clean up by themselves. I do dishes after breakfast because I dont usually have much. I use paper plates so I can recycle them in my compost and so the mess is minimal. I know when the parents are coming so I like to have the place picked up toward the end of the day; not when the first parent comes because I still have other kids, but by the time the last parent comes, we're just hanging around waiting for mom to get here so I can begin MY day with my family. My daycare is my whole downstairs. i dont mind if the parents need to wash something in the sink real quick or whatever but they NEVER go upstairs. I have nothing up there that has to do with my daycare. Most parents stand by the door area and I hand their child to them and talk about what they ate and whatever and off they go.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 01-11-2011
Personally, from a parent point of view and a provider point of view, I couldn't care less how unorganized a persons house is just so long as it is clean. There is a big difference between clean and just unorganized. If they were a hoarder or something and it was a safety hazrd then I would care but if someone is just unorganized..big deal...arent we all? Some are just better at hiding it than others...and anyone who is OCD enough to have a house that would make Martha Stewart proud obviously doesn't have enough time to spend with my child.
dEHmom 08:50 AM 01-11-2011
Exactly.
As mac60 stated "Sometimes I think what is the point until the day is done, because I will just have to "do it again".

That is my general procrastination on a daily basis. Things like vacuuming, mopping etc is all done at the end of the day, when hubby is getting off of work. Otherwise I do it 10 times a day.
My house isn't always tidy, but it is clean (disinfected etc).

As for the toys, because all the kids in care, except my own 4 and 6 yr old are too young to truly know how to clean up, it's difficult. But when I had older kids in my care, same rule went, toys had to be asked for. If they wanted to switch what they were playing with they cleaned up first then picked a toy. I have bins with no lids which are for the younger babies, the crawlers, just learning to walkers, and they can go to it whenever they want. There are always toys out during the day, and the mom I have now knows that by the time she comes, is when I'm just about to eat, and run out the door. So I'm sure she understands. Today she is leaving work early and coming to get her daughter, so I will let them have toys out, or when she comes here, dcg is coloring, or whatever. It's not that she never sees her playing or anything, just usually everything is put away, and it's all clean, and dcg just has 1 or 2 toys.
MG&Lsmom 09:02 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally, from a parent point of view and a provider point of view, I couldn't care less how unorganized a persons house is just so long as it is clean. There is a big difference between clean and just unorganized. If they were a hoarder or something and it was a safety hazrd then I would care but if someone is just unorganized..big deal...arent we all? Some are just better at hiding it than others...and anyone who is OCD enough to have a house that would make Martha Stewart proud obviously doesn't have enough time to spend with my child.
Do you think that's a bit harsh? It takes me an hour to clean my house. It's small, but 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, living, dining and kitchen. As long as the rooms are picked up, the cleaning gets done in the hour between DH leaving and first dck arriving, all while my own kids are eating breakfast and getting themselves dressed. I dust on the weekends, but other than that, I'm only doing dishes or wiping up meal mess while dcks are here 7am to 5pm.
Unregistered 09:18 AM 01-11-2011
I'm a parent and all parents are a bit different in their preference. But, i prefer my kids to get attention and looking after more than any bit of cleanliness. I have a 9 year old, 3 year old, and 17 month old, and so i really only know what 2 little ones are like. Having a ratio of 6 kids to one adult would be hard on anyone. BTW I like the rule - if you want a specific toy you need to ask for it. I might try that at my house!
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Do you think that's a bit harsh? It takes me an hour to clean my house. It's small, but 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms, living, dining and kitchen. As long as the rooms are picked up, the cleaning gets done in the hour between DH leaving and first dck arriving, all while my own kids are eating breakfast and getting themselves dressed. I dust on the weekends, but other than that, I'm only doing dishes or wiping up meal mess while dcks are here 7am to 5pm.
What's harsh? I don't mean we shouldn't tidy up...I have a small house too for daycare and I clean as I go along too. I even have parents say, "How do you keep the kids so well behaved AND the house clean?" I meant that I have personally seen providers have immaculately clean homes AT ALL TIMES. That makes me a bit nervous, but I really was just saying that I don't think that parents should judge a provider based on the organization of her house. I would rather have a disorganized (but clean) home and a wonderful cargiver than have a super clean and organized house with a provider who spends all her time cleaning and organizing.....makes it uncomfortable to be there IMPO.
I wasn't trying to be harsh about anything...I guess I am just laid back about the subject.... so if I offended you... I'm sorry.
mickey2 10:31 AM 01-11-2011
Myself and my children clean up as we go. Nothing new gets started until what we have been doing gets cleaned up first.
Keri'sKids 10:52 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
Myself and my children clean up as we go. Nothing new gets started until what we have been doing gets cleaned up first.
This is how I do it as well. I have toys divided up into smaller boxes. One box at a time and it is for all to play with. They all get turns choosing a box. But still one box at a time. Put it away before the next box comes out.
Terri7 08:30 AM 01-12-2011
There is a difference between dirty and having a few toys from play lying around. I have specific areas in my home for daycare and the children are taught to put the things they are playing with away before we take new ones out. However, my smaller toddlers do no follow these rules, that leaves my assistants and I to give a helping hand, and help guide them into helping us put the toys away.
I am very anal about cleanliness and keeping to state regulations in regards to health and safety. I don't have a problem with my parents entering the day care areas. These are their children not my children; therefore, they have the right to see the play areas their children spend the most time in during the day. I would expect no less being a parent myself.
The children love showing their parents around the play areas and showing their parents their favorite toy or game they like to play with. Introducing the parents to their favorite friend. Parents get be a part of their child's day care life. I take pictures and we make frames and give them as gifts for DC parents so that will become more involved and feel comfortable in asking questions and being apart of their child's daily experiences.
Unregistered 06:23 AM 04-13-2011
Every time my license is up for renewal and my kdhe surveyor comes in to inspect, she says she likes seeing happy kids playing with toys, rather than a super clean house. She told me very clean houses make her nervous, lol. The priority is having happy children, and to be happy, children need to make messes! :-D
Meeko 12:28 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
no parents in the playroom.

I have the kids clean up four times a day and i don't allow them to throw them all over. They have to actually play with what they get out. I don't let the floor get too cluttered before i have them pick up.
ditto
Meyou 12:35 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
No parents in the playroom.

I have the kids clean up four times a day and I don't allow them to throw them all over. They have to actually PLAY with what they get out. I don't let the floor get too cluttered before I have them pick up.

Ditto. The parents can see front entryway, a halllway and the living room where the kids aren't allowed to go.
daycare 12:41 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Ditto. The parents can see front entryway, a halllway and the living room where the kids aren't allowed to go.
same here... one toy out at a time, when done put it away. My house is always interview tour ready. Allthough, a DCD made a rude comment about the crayon marks on the eating table one day. I told him that I ran out of magic eraser and regular cleaner wont get it off. He rolled his eyes at me.....gggerrrr
MsMe 01:05 PM 04-13-2011
YES My parent care VERY much that the house in clean. Not just picked up but bleached and vacuumed.

We play and have tons of fun but it ALL gets put away as soon as we are finished.
Abigail 08:33 PM 04-13-2011
The parents who pick up are all so different. Some you can tell they don't mind the toys all over the floor as they step over them and others right away tell their child to pick up a few toys because it's messy when only 10 toys were on the floor with 6 kids still present, LOL. I'm thankful for those kind of parents!

We don't have set clean-up times like 2 a day or anything. Cleanup happens right away if dumping begins. It also happens before other activities like before the three meals we serve, before going outside or on field trips, and before the end of the day. Our parents pickup between 3:00 and 5:30 so half the group is gone by 4:45 and the last 45 minutes the kids all start picking up everything to play a game at the table or sometimes watch a short movie.

We have parents who stop in at least weekly just to check on their kids since we have a convenient location so they know the kids play and know most of the kids names.
melskids 01:56 AM 04-14-2011
my house is clean enough to be healthy but messy enough to be happy.

if the parents dont like that, then.... on them!!!

sure, my house is spic-&-span clean at a.m. drop off, and fairly clean at pick up. but i warn the parents, if you show up mid day prepare to see a mess.

as long as the paint/mud/sand/glitter/goop/gak/food/snot is cleaned off of their kid by the time they get here, that's all they really care about.
BentleysBands 02:41 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:

sure, my house is spic-&-span clean at a.m. drop off, and fairly clean at pick up. but i warn the parents, if you show up mid day prepare to see a mess.

as long as the paint/mud/sand/glitter/goop/gak/food/snot is cleaned off of their kid by the time they get here, that's all they really care about.
Ditto! I'm super anal and I can clean thruout the day while the kids play. Not hard at all. My parents only care if their kid are happy loved have fun each day. But there's definitely a difference in clean versus toys on floor. I clean up toys at end of day.thruout I just move them over with my foot lol
boysx5 03:00 AM 04-14-2011
I'm a neat freak so it drives me nuts if my house is messy. I always start the day with a clean room then clean up before lunch and nap time then again at the end of the day
morgan24 04:17 AM 04-14-2011
I don't know if my parents care, but I do. My kids are in my upstairs for meals, naps and drop off and pick up. My upstairs stays clean. The downstairs I have the rule that they have to pick up before moving on. The mess stays down and at the end of the day we clean everything up. Then it's ready for the next day.
E Daycare 10:04 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I'm a neat freak so it drives me nuts if my house is messy. I always start the day with a clean room then clean up before lunch and nap time then again at the end of the day
Sounds like I wrote this!

My dcp dont care as I think my house is cleaner then theirs anyways (from what Ive gathered from little comments they have made or the fleas they bring in....). Im a neat freak. Almost borderline OCD. I have a saying "we clean it the E way, which is the right way". I dont have any problems keeping up. As the kids eat lunch I clean up the rest of the crap laying around, at pick up its toy messy and El Hub and I clean up at night. Weekend evenings I reserve for the heavy duty clean with a tooth brush (seriously, its a issue Im trying to work on and be less crazy about) and get a Sunday high from a freshly cleaned house thats ready for the week.

I have issues.
dEHmom 10:12 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
Sounds like I wrote this!

My dcp dont care as I think my house is cleaner then theirs anyways (from what Ive gathered from little comments they have made or the fleas they bring in....). Im a neat freak. Almost borderline OCD. I have a saying "we clean it the E way, which is the right way". I dont have any problems keeping up. As the kids eat lunch I clean up the rest of the crap laying around, at pick up its toy messy and El Hub and I clean up at night. Weekend evenings I reserve for the heavy duty clean with a tooth brush (seriously, its a issue Im trying to work on and be less crazy about) and get a Sunday high from a freshly cleaned house thats ready for the week.

I have issues.
umm.....want to come over? I think I have a toothbrush with your name on it.
AnythingsPossible 10:42 AM 04-14-2011

I love this line in your post!!!!
MommyMuffin 10:48 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Every time my license is up for renewal and my kdhe surveyor comes in to inspect, she says she likes seeing happy kids playing with toys, rather than a super clean house. She told me very clean houses make her nervous, lol. The priority is having happy children, and to be happy, children need to make messes! :-D
I completely agree. There are hardly ever any dishes in the sink and I vaccum and sweep daily. I am far too busy with the kids and the toys to worry about the little stuff. I think I am just realistic.

I think its funny how almost everyone said their house is spotless.
dEHmom 10:51 AM 04-14-2011
I am having major major issues with my floors being dirty! It's driving me insane. No matter how much I mop, an hour later socks start turning colors. I know a lot of it has to do with mud on dogs paws, and with it being so wet outside it gets tracked in. But no matter how clean I get the floor, and verify there is no black coming up, and an hour or two later it's already dirty again.
morgan24 11:09 AM 04-14-2011
I don't mean this to be disrespectful in anyway. I disagree with your statement that anyone who is OCD enough to make Martha Stewart proud obviously doesn't have enough time to spend with your child. I have OCD and I don't let that take away from taking care of the children in my daycare. I clean up during the day as messes are made and I spend nap time cleaning if needed. I do most of my cleaning after hours and on the weekends.
jen 11:09 AM 04-14-2011

LOVE this!!!
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I don't mean this to be disrespectful in anyway. I disagree with your statement that anyone who is OCD enough to make Martha Stewart proud obviously doesn't have enough time to spend with your child. I have OCD and I don't let that take away from taking care of the children in my daycare. I clean up during the day as messes are made and I spend nap time cleaning if needed. I do most of my cleaning after hours and on the weekends.
You are not being disrespectful by pointing out that I should have chosen better words than OCD. To clarify what I mean, I am referring to people who have homes that are ALWAYS (operative word) looking like homes from magazines photos. I deep clean like you, after hours and on the weekends when necessary and I also clean as we go along but I just happen to know two women in my life who clean so much and so deeply that it is impossible for them to do anything outside of cleaning. One of these women actually brings her child to daycare so she can clean everyday. So, in that respect, my apologies for being disrespectful to you.
dEHmom 12:04 PM 04-14-2011
HAHAHAHA BLACKCAT, i'm following closely behind, but under your name, did you put that talkative forum member or were you promoted?

I remember thinking, gawsh I hope this new forum member status disappears soon. lol.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
HAHAHAHA BLACKCAT, i'm following closely behind, but under your name, did you put that talkative forum member or were you promoted?

I remember thinking, gawsh I hope this new forum member status disappears soon. lol.
Nah, I added it myself... You can go to your profile area and there is a place to change it.... Michael or someone made a comment about how I had so many posts for being a relatively new member so I figured I must talk (post)alot....
dEHmom 01:28 PM 04-14-2011
Nah, I added it myself... You can go to your profile area and there is a place to change it.... Michael or someone made a comment about how I had so many posts for being a relatively new member so I figured I must talk (post)alot....
well I'm right behind you hunny bunny
SilverSabre25 02:06 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
well I'm right behind you hunny bunny
I'm winning.
morgan24 02:14 PM 04-14-2011
You are not being disrespectful by pointing out that I should have chosen better words than OCD. To clarify what I mean, I am referring to people who have homes that are ALWAYS (operative word) looking like homes from magazines photos. I deep clean like you, after hours and on the weekends when necessary and I also clean as we go along but I just happen to know two women in my life who clean so much and so deeply that it is impossible for them to do anything outside of cleaning. One of these women actually brings her child to daycare so she can clean everyday. So, in that respect, my apologies for being disrespectful to you.
I'm not even that bad. It's just me and my husband and he picks up after himself so we really don't have much to do some days. My OCD is more towards not wanting to pick up germs. Five years ago I got sick, throwing up all the time and it last for 4 or 5 days. I went in and had all kinds of GI tests and nothing was wrong. I had all teachers kids at the time and in my own mind I thought the teachers were bringing home something and I was picking it up. That's when my OCD got out of hand. I would bleach my bathroom everyday after the kids left and usually after nap too. I used the other bathroom that they didn't use. I cleaned the toys every day. Washed their dishes in bleach water. I wiped down light switches and door knobs. I was sick on and off for 5 years before I got really sick and it was my gall bladder. I would much rather have a baby than a gall bladder attack. I had my gall bladder, had a stone stuck in my bile duct and had to have that repaired. I have not been sick now for 2 years except for the sniffles once. I'm try not being such a clean freak but it's a hard habit to break!
momofboys 06:41 AM 04-15-2011
I started watching a set of twins this week. . . they are 15 months old & are doing very well IMO. they are running me ragged lol but I think next week will be easier. My question is how do you know when it is too much regarding coughs/runny noses. Both girls have been a little fussy this week & since this is my first week with them it's hard to tell if it's their normal demeanor or not. They both have yucky runny noses that although sometimes is clear other times it is colored & they have icky coughs that aren't constant but are annoying b/c naturally they can't cover their mouths. My illness policy says some coughing/runny noses are fine BUT with little ones there isn't much you can do to prevent the spreading of germs so what do you do? I honestly think one of them could have a repiratory infection or sinus infection, etc. How do you approach a parent & suggest they should take them to the dr?!? Sorry this was long!
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm winning.
You must have Tigerblood!!! like Charlie Sheen since he is apparently "winning" too! LOL!!

Yeah, you do have way more posts...I wonder who has the most overall? or wonder who has the highest average? or least amount for longest membership? Wonder who is the oldest (not age wise) member that is still active? Wonder who racked up the most posts in the shortest amount of time? apparently besides talking, ....I 'wonder' too much......
Cat Herder 10:20 AM 04-15-2011
Make fun all you want but my house is spotless all the time. I have 10 fully functioning hands on deck, every day, so see no excuse for it not to be. That is how I was raised.

All my toys are cleaned/sanitized everyday. Yes, I mean all.

Morning toys soak during lunch 12-1, hang to dry in a mesh bag during naptime 1-3.

Afternoon toys soak during "clean up for pick up time" 5-6, hang dry after closing 6-8.

Large/non-submersible toys are wiped/sprayed, floors swept/mopped, windows are wiped, and linens are changed after closing. Then the daycare playroom is closed and locked for the day.

I have many rubbermaid bins full of toys to rotate. I have collected them about 20 years.

I also only keep infants and young toddlers who put EVERYTHING into their mouths. To me cleaning the toys daily is a job REQUIREMENT with this particular age group. It is very easy to stay organized when the kids cant reach your storage spaces.

I am at a point in my life where my teenaged children vacuum, mop, do their laundry and clean their own rooms. They are in school during the day so do not make messes often.

My wonderful DH shares the load equally so the main house stays clean while I am "At Work" in the playroom. He even cooks dinner about 3 nights a week for our family. The kids are starting to cook, too, so that will get easier as well!! Yay me!

Don't hate me too much.... I paid my dues to get here, too...
Zoe 10:43 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Make fun all you want but my house is spotless all the time. I have 10 fully functioning hands on deck, every day, so see no excuse for it not to be. That is how I was raised.

All my toys are cleaned/sanitized everyday. Yes, I mean all.

Morning toys soak during lunch 12-1, hang to dry in a mesh bag during naptime 1-3.

Afternoon toys soak during "clean up for pick up time" 5-6, hang dry after closing 6-8.

Large/non-submersible toys are wiped/sprayed, floors swept/mopped, windows are wiped, and linens are changed after closing. Then the daycare playroom is closed and locked for the day.

I have many rubbermaid bins full of toys to rotate. I have collected them about 20 years.

I also only keep infants and young toddlers who put EVERYTHING into their mouths. To me cleaning the toys daily is a job REQUIREMENT with this particular age group. It is very easy to stay organized when the kids cant reach your storage spaces.

I am at a point in my life where my teenaged children vacuum, mop, do their laundry and clean their own rooms. They are in school during the day so do not make messes often.

My wonderful DH shares the load equally so the main house stays clean while I am "At Work" in the playroom. He even cooks dinner about 3 nights a week for our family. The kids are starting to cook, too, so that will get easier as well!! Yay me!

Don't hate me too much.... I paid my dues to get here, too...

If I had the energy, I would LOVE to do this! It's difficult for me to keep up though since my very sweet and well-meaning husband unconsciously leaves a "trail" of things behind him. I call him my hurricane. If I could get him to realize it, then maybe I could do more than just "clutter clean". I'm such a neat freak and want a clean home!

To the PP who mentioned the dirty floor. I have all hardwood floors and I can't get them clean enough either. Something I've used that helps with this (dirt being brought in from the dogs and kids) is a steam mop. After using it for a while, you have immaculately clean floors! Just a tip
JenNJ 10:48 AM 04-15-2011
I am sure they do care how clean and uncluttered my house is. I know I care what my son's preschool looks like. They should care.
Stacy214 11:13 AM 04-15-2011
This has been my situation for the past 2 weeks!!! UGH, I need advice too lol!

I have 2 infants , 1 yr old and 2 yr old and ALL coughing and runny noses! I clean, lysol and bleach over and over, I'm sick for the second weekend But no fever in any of them plus they are HAPPY!!!!! IDK I'm afraid I'll need to fumigate the house.

I would say allergies, because the pollen count is high however what I'm experiencing seems to be really bad crappy colds
Cat Herder 11:37 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
If I had the energy, I would LOVE to do this!
It really is pretty easy, I swear... I just fill the bath tub while preparing lunch, pour in a bit of disinfectant, then when we pick up the toys for lunch/nap time I toss them in those drawstring/mesh laundry bags intended for college kids. I then just dump them in the tub to soak. 3 minutes of my time, max.

When I go back in, after I get them down for nap, I just swish it around a bit, drain and hang. I put up a few hooks over my shower for when it is raining and back deck for when it is not raining because it goes MUCH faster in the sun.

Once they are dry I just dump them back into the toy bins in the playroom or put them in the attic if I am rotating that week.
Zoe 12:08 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It really is pretty easy, I swear... I just fill the bath tub while preparing lunch, pour in a bit of disinfectant, then when we pick up the toys for lunch/nap time I toss them in those drawstring/mesh laundry bags intended for college kids. I then just dump them in the tub to soak. 3 minutes of my time, max.

When I go back in, after I get them down for nap, I just swish it around a bit, drain and hang. I put up a few hooks over my shower for when it is raining and back deck for when it is not raining because it goes MUCH faster in the sun.

Once they are dry I just dump them back into the toy bins in the playroom or put them in the attic if I am rotating that week.
That is such a great idea! Much better than dumping them in small tubs to soak then take each one out and clean them individually. That's what I call "thinking smarter, not harder".

I will SO be using that idea. Thanks!
Christian Mother 12:16 PM 04-15-2011
I am in the same boat. All of my little ones have bad allergies. They are getting over coughs but there noises run like a facet. I am constantly running after their noses. My husband came home with a bad sinus infection and stayed home yesterday and went to the doctor and he said he was not sick or contagious...even though he ran a slight temp. I think it's the allergies and the pollen in the air. AZ is bad with that right now. We just had rain last week and it's steered everything up. Your kido's could be the same boat and not to mention..with this being there first week they are prob. just trying to get the hang of things w/you and the other little ones. On top of not being 100%. Give it a couple more weeks. I am sure they will get better and feel a lot better soon. Good Luck!!
Tags:daycare appearance, rotate, rotating toys, tidy, toys - clean
Reply Up