Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rental Permission
Greenshadow 02:30 PM 06-17-2010
Im in a rental. I am not sure yet but I think that to get licensed in a rental you have to get something signed saying your landlord allows you to run a daycare out of the home. My landlord is a real estate company but they manage it. Someone from out of state owns this townhouse. Im afraid to ask permission because what if they say no? Ive already been doing it and didnt realize that I might have to get a signed permission slip to do this. I havent rented a place in over 15 years! But because of our move, we didnt want to buy a home in a new area without renting something and getting to know the area first. What should I do? Work without a license until we move next Spring or chance it and see if they will allow it? I dont really want to do that because what if they dont?? Ugh.
MarinaVanessa 02:38 PM 06-17-2010
Well if you aren't required to be licensed then you shouldn't need permission unless it's in your rental agreement so you may want to check that out. If you want to become licensed (or registered) then I'd check with licensing about the policy. I wouldn't say you already do it, I'd say that I was interested in doing daycare and was wondering what their regulations were for rentals. Some states require a form to be filled out by the landlord and some don't. I know here it's required (CA) for the form to be kept in my files and had to have my fiance fill it out since it's his home and I'm not on the title (it was his before we started dating) but it wasn't required for me to send it in with the licensing application and they've never asked to see it or anything.

If you don't get licensed what would happen? Can you still do daycare?
Former Teacher 03:37 PM 06-17-2010
Check with your lease as well. I know for our apartment we cannot run home based businesses IE childcare.

It might be different because you have a townhouse though
QualiTcare 04:41 PM 06-17-2010
i can see why she'd need permission. if she doesn't own the house and something happens to a kid on that property, the owners could be held liable. surely they have insurance, but still - who wants that on their hands when they're just renting a place? i would just about bet they would say no.
Greenshadow 05:14 PM 06-17-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Well if you aren't required to be licensed then you shouldn't need permission unless it's in your rental agreement so you may want to check that out. If you want to become licensed (or registered) then I'd check with licensing about the policy. I wouldn't say you already do it, I'd say that I was interested in doing daycare and was wondering what their regulations were for rentals. Some states require a form to be filled out by the landlord and some don't. I know here it's required (CA) for the form to be kept in my files and had to have my fiance fill it out since it's his home and I'm not on the title (it was his before we started dating) but it wasn't required for me to send it in with the licensing application and they've never asked to see it or anything.

If you don't get licensed what would happen? Can you still do daycare?
Nothing would happen if I dont get registered or licensed at this time. Im still within my ratio without being registered or licensed so Im fine. I guess what the landlord doesnt know wont hurt him....
Greenshadow 05:14 PM 06-17-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Check with your lease as well. I know for our apartment we cannot run home based businesses IE childcare.

It might be different because you have a townhouse though
Good thinking! Im going to pull it out right now and go over it. I did call licensing to find out a "what if" but they havent called me back yet.
originalkat 07:18 AM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
Nothing would happen if I dont get registered or licensed at this time. Im still within my ratio without being registered or licensed so Im fine. I guess what the landlord doesnt know wont hurt him....
Honestly, I would just not get licensed/registered if your State allows for this. Then when you buy a house in the Spring you can set things up the way you want to. I would be afraid to ask because then you are screwed if the answer isnt in your favor.
Greenshadow 08:01 AM 06-18-2010
Exactly! I called to have the packet mailed out. Its not required so no harm no foul as of yet. They dont care whether I do it or not at this time so Im safe. I'll read it over and see whether it asks for it or not. Thanks you guys!
Crystal 08:55 AM 06-18-2010
I took a quick look at your state regs and did not see anything that mandates you get permission from your landlord. It was a quick check though, so you may want to review more closely:

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/di...guidelines.pdf

I'll tell ya, I found the section on discipline to be AWESOME!

In Ca. we are required to INFORM our landord if we rent, but the cannot legally disallow us from conducting child care services on the property and we do have recourse if they try to retaliate. The only exception is if we choose to care for two additional school aged children, we have to get permission for those TWO extra children. All we need is to write a letter informing of them of our intent and provide a copy to licensing.
Greenshadow 09:39 AM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I took a quick look at your state regs and did not see anything that mandates you get permission from your landlord. It was a quick check though, so you may want to review more closely:

http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/di...guidelines.pdf

I'll tell ya, I found the section on discipline to be AWESOME!

In Ca. we are required to INFORM our landord if we rent, but the cannot legally disallow us from conducting child care services on the property and we do have recourse if they try to retaliate. The only exception is if we choose to care for two additional school aged children, we have to get permission for those TWO extra children. All we need is to write a letter informing of them of our intent and provide a copy to licensing.
I, too, was reading that same form! Thanks for linking it as I had lost it last night after it got too late to keep reading. Now I can find it again much easier! I dont see anything on getting landlord permission either. I know when I was in California, as a homeowner, I had to sign a form stating that. But I also knew a few providers who had to get permission from their landlord to run a daycare in their home.
My Daycare 09:25 AM 06-21-2010
I would not say anything if you don't have to. When I was looking for a home rental, I was turned down many times because of home daycare. This was all for homes, not apartments, where there are many neighbors to worry about. I finally found one that would accept us, but raised our rent by 100 because she said I will make a lot of money using her home.
originalkat 12:44 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I would not say anything if you don't have to. When I was looking for a home rental, I was turned down many times because of home daycare. This was all for homes, not apartments, where there are many neighbors to worry about. I finally found one that would accept us, but raised our rent by 100 because she said I will make a lot of money using her home.
If she was going to raise your rent she should have said it was because of the wear and tear on her house...not because you are making a lot of money.
But, I had the same experience when we rented. MANY landlords would not accept us because of home daycare.
QualiTcare 01:26 PM 06-21-2010
it's a liability..........that's why.
Unregistered 09:19 AM 10-18-2011
The thing is according to what I see, If you have rentals insurance you add your landlord to the agreement and if they get sued they are covered by your childcare insurance so there really is no liability unless you fail to do that.
Tags:landlord, rental
Reply Up