Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cold Weather Clothing
Lilbutterflie 06:37 AM 10-29-2010
Ok, this is more of a vent than anything. Is anyone else dealing with this? I've never had a dcp that I've had so many problems with appropriate clothes/shoes! It was 38 degrees this morning when my dcb was dropped off (it's still this temp two hours later). DCB FINALLY comes in shoes instead of flipflops (I've been ranting on the website about this!). BUT his shoes are too small. That's another story. He has new shoes, but dcm says he refuses to wear them. These are his shoes from last winter. COME ON... BE A PARENT!!

The one that really bothers me is that he came in a long sleeve shirt and a thin sweatshirt (she called it a jacket). When it's 45 degrees or cooler, I dress myself and my own kids in a nice thick jacket. At first I didn't say anything, but the more I think about it, the more it ticks me off! 38 degrees is chilly, but still okay to play outside if they are wearing appropriate clothing. Well, not if he's just wearing a thin sweatshirt!!

I need to get a backbone with this mom, but I don't want to make it seem like a personal attack on her parenting. I think I will mention when she picks him up that he was cold this morning while playing outside. I'll tell her since he was cold he had to wear my daughter's jacket from last winter (which is his size)! Ask her to dress him in a warm jacket if the weather is 45 degrees or less in the morning.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 10-29-2010
I had same issue yesterday! Little girl (3yrs old) came with a short sleeved t-shirt on...I live up north MN so it is currently 28 degrees here. This dcg comes at 8 a.m. and goes to swim lessons at the YMCA with my other 3-5 yr old and when they come back off the bus they have wet hair so wth? Then when mom picks her up she let her walk across yard without shoes on!! It snowed here yesterday!!!
Mom says DCG hates jackets and she doesn't want to wear one..?!?!? Obvious who is running the show in their house! I have called dcp at work and said either come get your kid or bring some appropriate clothing. We are going outside and I will not stay in b/c one parent couldn't supply the necessary clothing. I do have spare jackets and such, but this is also a dcm who once told me she didn't plan on buying her daughter snowpants b/c she knew I always kept spares on hand!?!?
Lilbutterflie 06:55 AM 10-29-2010
OMG! And I thought my dcp was bad...
MarinaVanessa 07:43 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I I do have spare jackets and such, but this is also a dcm who once told me she didn't plan on buying her daughter snowpants b/c she knew I always kept spares on hand!?!?
And people ask why some provider's charge to "loan" out clothing. Sheesh.
SilverSabre25 07:49 AM 10-29-2010
It's in the 40's here but feels like 30's and DCG came in a sweater today...definitely not warm enough! On the other side is all the parents who, last month, would dress their kids for the frigid morning weather (pants, longsleeved shirts, sweaters, winter jackets...) while completely ignoring that the high for the day was 85.
Tin Blues 08:20 AM 10-29-2010
My 3 yr. old dcb came in snowboots last week when temps were in the 50's and no snow. This week on the morning we had blizzard conditions with large drifts of snow in the driveway he came in sandals.

Yesterday I would have liked to have taken the kids out, but out of 6 kids, only 2 had snowboots, 3 had hats, none had mittens and one had slippers, no shoes. No snowpants for any of them. And I'm supposed to take kids outside everyday, weather permitting.
Lilbutterflie 10:18 AM 10-29-2010
I don't know why, but this bothers me soooo much! Be a parent and see what the high and low temp for the day is before you dress your child! Is it really that hard? I'm sure they don't like to go out in a sweater when it's 30 degrees; or long sleeves and pants when it's 90 degrees.
Lianne 10:44 AM 10-29-2010
My clients are pretty good about dressing their kids appropriately but everyone has a bad day and forgets things or doesn't realize how cold it actually is, etc. So, just in case, I keep a stock of mittens, hats and scarves to use on the kids while they're in my care. They don't take the stuff home but at least I know their fingers are warm on the walk to the bus stop. I bought my mittens, hats and scarves at the Dollar store. I also ask parents to consider donating outgrown sweatshirts, sweatpants, jackets, etc. to the daycare. When a child is cold or I think they need an extra layer I can throw someone's outgrown items on a smaller children. My clients also often hand down gently worn shoes, snowboots and rainboots and I either keep them here or give them to another daycare child. When that child outgrows them (esp. rainboots) they're passed back to me again.
safechner 11:10 AM 10-29-2010
Same here. This morning, it was so cold like 45 temp. My dcm just dropped her here without jacket and long sleeves. Poor her, she said she was so cold. Later on, I noticed dcm wrote on Facebook and she said it was so cold outside then I thought she should have dress her up appropriately in the first place. Parents!
MarinaVanessa 12:51 PM 10-29-2010
I live in CA so we don't really have weather temperatures that drop lower than the 50's and even then that's rare but here it's not recommended to have kids out at all if the temperature drops below 40 degrees

Originally Posted by :
Temperatures above 40 and below 80 degrees Fahrenheit are generally suitable for routine outdoor play.
I personally don't do well in the cold and I'm just glad that it doesn't snow where I live .
DBug 03:01 PM 10-29-2010
Our temps have been fluctuating so much that my parents have all either been layering their kids in warm clothes, or they bring their child in a winter coat, and bring snowpants, mitts, a hat, and a fall jacket in a separate bag. After reading this discussion, I'm so glad they do! Yes, it's alot of extra things to carry, but you can really tell that they love their kids!
Lilbutterflie 06:01 AM 11-05-2010
Ok, gonna vent again! After last week telling dcm that he was cold when playing outside in 40 degree weather in just a sweatshirt, today dcb comes in just a fleece sweatshirt and short sleeves. It was 34 degrees outside. Here's the kicker... she just bought him a heavy jacket! I know this b/c she told me the fleece sweatshirt he's wearing buttons inside of his new heavy jacket. She saw my kids bundled up in heavy jackets and gloves & I mentioned how cold it was outside today. She just didn't get it.

And he's still wearing the shoes that are too small for him. They are canvas shoes (not warm at all), and they are even getting worn and almost torn where his toes reach the end. Which is good, b/c as soon as it's torn I'll tell her he cannot come in torn shoes. He has brand new nice shoes for goodness sakes!!
Luna 06:44 AM 11-05-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Ok, gonna vent again! After last week telling dcm that he was cold when playing outside in 40 degree weather in just a sweatshirt, today dcb comes in just a fleece sweatshirt and short sleeves. It was 34 degrees outside. Here's the kicker... she just bought him a heavy jacket! I know this b/c she told me the fleece sweatshirt he's wearing buttons inside of his new heavy jacket. She saw my kids bundled up in heavy jackets and gloves & I mentioned how cold it was outside today. She just didn't get it.

And he's still wearing the shoes that are too small for him. They are canvas shoes (not warm at all), and they are even getting worn and almost torn where his toes reach the end. Which is good, b/c as soon as it's torn I'll tell her he cannot come in torn shoes. He has brand new nice shoes for goodness sakes!!
I have this problem too, and I know the child has nice clothes. They tell me this is what she insisted on wearing, that she refused to put on her new shoes, that she refused to wear her warm coat. However, I believe the truth is because they have shared custody and they switch every day, and neither wants the other to end up with the "good" clothes. I have asked both of them to leave extra clothes here & I'll make sure the other one doesn't end up with them. They have both done this, but it is difficult to get new stuff from them when she outgrows what I have here. I have also told them if I don't have appropriate clothing to put on her I will call them to come & pick her up...but the one that drops off isn't the one who will be called, so they couldn't care less about that.
Tags:clothing, cold weather, cold weather clothing
Reply Up