Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Policy Handbook - It's Completed
MarinaVanessa 03:04 PM 11-23-2011
I finally finished my new handbook. I have been saving all of the little changes that have come up in the last year and just added them all. PHEW

If you ladies can help me out a bit and proof-read it for me I would really appreciate it. I know it's long and I know it's extremely detailed however I have pretty much come across each and every single thing that I have in my handbook. I just want to make sure that everything makes sense. Let me know what you think before I hand it out next month. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...yrHMh-LKc/edit
daycare 10:06 PM 11-24-2011
I tried to read it but it is too blurry,

What program are you using
Michael 02:55 AM 11-25-2011
I can read it just fine.
Sunchimes 06:12 PM 11-25-2011
I see one type on page 9 in the second paragraph under Daycare Hours. You said "...will depend on the ability for the childcare provider..." Would "of" sound better than "for"?

Page 10 under Childcarepay.com. This sentence sounds awkward, like maybe a word was left out. "Upon enrollment the child care provider will set up an account through for all families on ChildCarePay.com. "

I can only read through page 10. I'll go reload it and see if the rest shows up. Edited to say that it stops at page 10.
MarinaVanessa 11:58 AM 11-26-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I see one type on page 9 in the second paragraph under Daycare Hours. You said "...will depend on the ability for the childcare provider..." Would "of" sound better than "for"?

Page 10 under Childcarepay.com. This sentence sounds awkward, like maybe a word was left out. "Upon enrollment the child care provider will set up an account through for all families on ChildCarePay.com. "

I can only read through page 10. I'll go reload it and see if the rest shows up. Edited to say that it stops at page 10.
Awesome thanks. I'll change these errors. Thanks. I read it over three times and apparently STILL missed some . Let me know if you still only see to page 10. It should be 36 pages I know, I know ... it's long.
Sunchimes 12:21 PM 11-26-2011
I can still only see to page 10. This is the last sentence I can see...
"Many times child care assistance does not cover the full cost of tuition. It is the client’s responsibility to immediately pay"

I'm seeing 2 copies of the first 10 pages. One is 2 column, nicely formatted. The second version is the same words as the previous page except no columns, it's just in paragraph form. Still nothing after page 10
MarinaVanessa 01:37 PM 11-26-2011
Okay. Got it figured out and fixed. Google documents converted it strangely and only parts of it. I just uploaded it again as an original PDF. Thanks again.
(PS: I still havn't changed the little errors that you pointed out. I wanted to upload the handbook so that at least the rest of the handbook could be read.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0Y...IwODlmYTBmMGZk
the link in the OP is no longer a valid link.
Sunchimes 03:15 PM 11-26-2011
If you still want me to, I'll proof it after dinner.
Abigail 04:33 PM 11-26-2011
It is too hard for me to see it. It would be better if it were in a word document and full size. I did make it full screen, but the font sizes are all different and so are the font styles. I would read it if it was easier to see.
Sunchimes 07:02 PM 11-26-2011
Now I can see it all! I'm not an editor, but I do have this insane need to correct other people's spelling and grammar (it's the old teacher in me, I think!). The need doesn't extend to my own writing.

I'm not going to be real nitpicky. I'll just mention the things that sound awkward to me--which doesn't mean they are wrong. ;-)

First- "If you promise not to refer to me as the babysitter, I promise not to sit on your baby." Love this!!!! May I borrow it when I set up my handbook?
Page 5, right column, paragraph 2[color="Red"] "a child with special needs may be
accepted based on the ability and of the child care provider..."
I don't think you need the word "and"

"However we are also loyal to our current drop-in
clients and in situations where an unenrolled
family is interested in a full or parttime
position that a current drop-in client
has, every effort will first be made to offer
our drop-in client the opportunity to secure
their space by upgrading to the full or parttime
position."
Just my opinion, but I think I would make this 2 sentences.

Page 16 Privacy "Records and information about the children and family’s..." You have Apostrophe finger like I do-- My little finger is notorious for putting in random apostrophes. It should be families.

Page 21 "In the situation that the provider becomes ill" This isn't wrong, but more common usage would be "In the event that the provider..."

Page 22 Professional Development "Continuous education in Child Development
and other daycare related subjects may be
taken some of which are required by
Community Care Licensing and the daycare..."
I'm thinking that the phrase "some of which are required by CCL" should be set off by a comma before and after.

page 23 "...mistaking them for another child’s’." I think the word "child's'" just needs one apostrophe---child's. I say this because you could actually say "mistaking them for another child's items." which would make the word possessive, and only need one apostrophe.

Page 27-last paragraph "If a child becomes ill the parent’s..." I'm so glad that someone else does the apostrophe thing! ;-) It should be "parents" .

Page 30 "The emergency evacuation meeting area will
be the residence listed under a). If that area
is deemed to be unsafe or unavailable at the
time of evacuation then the meeting area
will be that listed under b).
1) 1211 Nilgai Place
Ventura, CA 93003
2) Open grassy area on the corner of
Telephone Rd and Antelope St."

You said that the meeting area will be listed under a), but below that, you listed your address under 1) instead of a). Same with 2) and b). Someone familiar with your area may not be confused, but I found myself scanning down to find a) and b).

Page 30 "The daycare home is equipped with
emergency supplies for an unlikely"
Just to make the sentence flow, if this were mine, I would say "...emergency supplies in the unlikely event..."

page 32, right column paragraph 2 "...these matters will be discussed with the client of the offending child so..." I would either say "discussed with the client" (leave out "of the offending child") or say "discussed with the parent of the offending child". Offending children don't have clients.

Page 33 last sentence "the parent will be
recommended of the possibility that the
child may need an environment with fewer..."
I would say advised instead of recommended.

Page 35 first paragraph "Family's move, family's home situations change" Families instead of family's

I really like your handbook. Much of it wouldn't work in my situation, but it is so clear and well thought out. Looks like a good job to me.
MarinaVanessa 07:33 PM 11-26-2011
Thanks so much Sunchimes . I'll get to work on this right away. I didn't even catch all of the apostrophe mistakes lol. I think I've gone through the handbook so many times that I can't see many of them that were left. It's a good thing that I asked for help .
MarinaVanessa 07:36 PM 11-26-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
It is too hard for me to see it. It would be better if it were in a word document and full size. I did make it full screen, but the font sizes are all different and so are the font styles. I would read it if it was easier to see.
Did you try the second link that's a few posts above? I've tried uploading it as a word socument several times but google docs changes the format so that it's all funky looking and misaligned, then it wouldn't show more than 10 pages so I uploaded it as a PDF. The link in the original post is no longer the right link but it was too late to edit the link so I posted a reply with a new link to the file in PDF form. If it's really blurry it might just be still loading. It does that on my laptop also but it focuses after a few seconds. Sorry. Maybe I can e-mail it to you?
Sunchimes 08:12 PM 11-26-2011
I know that feeling. It never fails that when I write a post or a blog entry, as soon as I hit post, I see an extra apostrophe or bad spelling.
Abigail 11:20 PM 11-26-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Okay. Got it figured out and fixed. Google documents converted it strangely and only parts of it. I just uploaded it again as an original PDF. Thanks again.
(PS: I still havn't changed the little errors that you pointed out. I wanted to upload the handbook so that at least the rest of the handbook could be read.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0Y...IwODlmYTBmMGZk
the link in the OP is no longer a valid link.
Thank you, this worked.....

I will help you de-fluff more if you’re interested but it will take a long time. I feel that you have a completely different setup than my paperwork because I don’t have any fluff, or stories, or introductions and my handbook and contract and other papers are all kept separate for fast and easy references. Honestly, when I look at this document it's overwhelming because you have so many items listed on your content page and so many different sections when things really could be put into categories instead of individual short topics. It's not about the quantity it's about the quality. You do have quality, but you also have a lot of quanitity that could be shortened. Please don't take that as an insult, it takes a very long time to come up with every little thing to cover and you certainly have put many many hours of hard work into this! I put over 100 hours into my 5 page handbook and 3 page contract, It was nearly twice as long before I de-fluffed and fell in love with it!

Page 3: You have “Services” as part of the main topics on page 9, yet you have a separate category titled “Services” on page 13. Eliminate the first services because you mainly have hours/fees as topics….all those fees are not technically services.

Page 3: “Pick-Up”, up doesn’t need to be capitalized or else you should also do “Drop-Off”

I skipped around to read page 25 then went back to the beginning. I noticed you switch A LOT from 1st person (we, I, you, us, etc) to 3rd person (the daycare, the parent, etc). You need to decide whether you will always write using first or third person to make it flow. I use first person in the handbook to make it easier to read since it’s longer and the parent will refer to this quite often. I use third person in the contract to avoid any misunderstandings to legally hold up in court so it will clearly state “parent” or “provider” for everything or else someone may flip it saying “we” or “you” was meant for the other party. KWIM? **I don't remember exactly if used the form of first/third person in correct terms, but I hope you get the general understanding from the switching of word usage.

Page 6: You should never start a sentence with “Because”, yet word says it’s ok because it doesn’t come up as a mistake, it just automatically capitalizes it. “Because of regular contact with children, as a child care provider, Helping Hands Daycare is required to report any suspected physical, sexual or other types of abuse to our licensing office and to any other necessary authorities.” I’ve also noticed you have a LOT of “FLUFF” and you should really avoid using fluff unless you are in school and have a minimum word requirement. LOL. You also have a business called Helping Hands Childcare, so don’t switch between Helping Hands Daycare and Helping Hands Childcare. It should read: “Helping Hands Childcare is (OR We are) required to report any suspected physical, sexual or other types of abuse to licensing office and any other necessary authorities.”

Page 25: You have “breast milk” and “breastmilk” so make sure to keep them all the same…this occurs a few times so make to search and change each occurrence.

I would create a separate category for breast milk and formula. Why? Parents who provide breast milk will always want to make sure you know the exact rules on how to prepare, store, and use it. You have this written: “Breast milk and prepared formula will be placed in the daycare’s refrigerator and/or freezer. All bottles and containers of breast milk and formula must be labeled with your child’s name; this is a requirement of our license.” Breast milk if heated cannot be placed in the fridge it must sit on the counter and be used within 3 hours…..well you should get one of those charts because it tells you that you must use it within 48 hours after thawing, etc and will help you answer any of your parent’s questions if they don’t know.

Then you have “Donations” as a topic to end page 25. This seems random….is it food donations, formula donations? It just seems out of place.

Page 26 is blank.
MamaBearCW 08:44 AM 11-27-2011
I did not read the whole thing, but I am very impressed. Looks very professional. The one thing that I thought that sounded odd that no one pointed out was in the second column of page 33. It was the sentence about the child with limited language being told "no bite". Sounds a little off to me.
MarinaVanessa 09:17 AM 11-27-2011
Honestly, when I look at this document it's overwhelming because you have so many items listed on your content page and so many different sections when things really could be put into categories instead of individual short topics.
This is good to know. I have trouble trying to figure out how to categorize them and group them together in a way that makes sense. Any ideas?

It's not about the quantity it's about the quality. You do have quality, but you also have a lot of quanitity that could be shortened.
Believe me, I have thought about making it shorter but I am not kidding, every single thing in my handbook has come up with clients and things that are uber explained in my handbbok is because clients have tried getting around or questioned those sections . I have seriouly thoght about shortening many of the sections but I get so damned paranoid that some client will come along and to the "But that's not what it says here ..". lol

I noticed you switch A LOT from 1st person (we, I, you, us, etc) to 3rd person (the daycare, the parent, etc).
This was me switching from originally it being 1st person to 3rd person. Apparently I missed a lot of them ... oops

Then you have “Donations” as a topic to end page 25. This seems random….is it food donations, formula donations? It just seems out of place.
It's all of those. Any type of donations. Clients sometimes give us items like houshold products and items, recyclables, food, supplies etc. Others began bringing things once I added it to my handbook a year ago because they said they read it and never thought of it. I stuck it here because I didn't know where else to put it lol. Any ideas?

Page 26 is blank.
Yes I think there may be other pages also but I can't remember. I'm anal retentive so all my chapters begin on the right side just like in a book. There is just something in my soul that wouldn't allow me to have a chapter in my handbook begin on the left side . I even go as far as to hole punch my handbook and put it in a little folder, you know the kinds that have a pocket in the front and back like for school book reports. Like I said, anal.

Thanks so much though. I took note of everything else you pointed out too so I'll make those changes too. Again, thanks a million!
MarinaVanessa 09:22 AM 11-27-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBearCW:
It was the sentence about the child with limited language being told "no bite". Sounds a little off to me.
Oh that was talking about biting and hitting. I wouldn't go into a full explination with a child about why we don't hit or bite if the child is under 2 KWIM? Older kids get the explination and they have to talk it out. Young kids that aren't adept with language yet (like those under 2) get simple word sentences like "No bite", "no hit", "gentle", "not nice", "he's sad", "Suzie cry" etc. depending on their vocabulary. I just didn't want to add a whole bunch of these examples. Any ideas how to make it make sense?
Abigail 06:36 PM 11-27-2011
Do you have a separate handbook from your contract? It's recommended. Let me know if you need help.
MarinaVanessa 10:20 AM 11-28-2011
Do you have a separate handbook from your contract? It's recommended. Let me know if you need help.
Yes, the contract only has the hours of care, type of care, vacations, rates and fees. Everything else went into my handbook.
daycare 10:44 AM 11-28-2011
wow...looks great to me. Very very professional!

It has taken me over a year to update and finalize my PHB. Just when i think I am done, someone throws me for a loop! lol
MarinaVanessa 10:53 AM 11-28-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
just when i think i am done, someone throws me for a loop! Lol
yes!! Exactly!!
Tags:handbook
Reply Up