Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days Off
athomemommy 01:55 PM 06-04-2012
Do you send home a note with your days off?

Do you keep a tally for the parents?

Please tell me how you keep track?
frugalmama4 02:06 PM 06-04-2012
Hello,

You know I've been thinking the same thing. I currently send a monthly news letter and list days daycare is closed. I save a copy in my documents, so I can always reference back to.

Once I get started on my website, I will have a calendar with all that information listed.

Hope this helps.
momma2girls 02:10 PM 06-04-2012
I have a monthly newsletter as well. I place all upcoming days off, paid holidays, vac. days, etc... on it. I keep track of my own vac. days on my calendar. I also have a monthly activity calendar on my front door, and they are on there as well.
GretasLittleFriends 02:54 PM 06-04-2012
I have a white board that I've made into a calendar by the door. On it is the current month and the upcoming month. It shows my closure dates and any other important days. I also send home about quarterly a single sheet with any upcoming closures/appts in which I will be closed. Most of my closures do not pertain to most of my clients though. Most fall on weekends, and only affect one or two families, as I'm trying to get away from weekend care altogether.

As far as keeping track of their schedules I have keep track on my own personal calendar in my attendance/finance book.
jokalima 03:35 PM 06-04-2012
Today I sent Home a note with the days I will be closed for the rest of the year, I basically took a day off during the long holiday weekends like memorial day and thanksgiving, then Christmas week off and 2 more days for September. Sounds to much?
Willow 04:41 PM 06-04-2012
I email all of my invoices. I give two months notice of any of my personal days off so I just add that to the invoice that corresponds the closest to that two month mark.

I don't take many days off so it's easy to keep track of days I'm closed on the Red Leaf Calendar Keeper I get from my food program. In case you're curious this is what it is: http://www.redleafpress.org/Redleaf-...2012-P579.aspx

It's FANTASTIC for keeping track of all of a FCC providers dates and times worked, expenses, income, food program reimbursement etc. I get one every year and it's an invaluable way to keep track of everything for tax time.
littlemissmuffet 07:43 PM 06-04-2012
I take off all statutory holidays paid and 2 weeks paid vacation each year. Every January I give a list of dates I will be closed. I post a reminder on the sign in/out board of any upcoming days that I will be closed at least a week in advance. I do not send home notes, emails or newsletters. I expect parents to be responsible and set up their own reminders of days I will be closed after I've initially informed them.

I do keep a record of days I close due to illness, emergnecy appointments, personal days. I get paid for 5 - anything more than that I will reimburse parents for, so I keep dilligent records of unplanned closures and who they affected.
mema 07:19 AM 06-05-2012
I send them home at the beginning of the year. I do have a few days that I don't have the exact date that far in advance, but have that I will give 2 weeks notice and I let them know as soon as I know.
Blackcat31 07:48 AM 06-05-2012
I send a yearly calendar home with each parent that is laminated and has a magnet attached to the back so they can hang it on their fridge. It has my days off clearly marked so they can see if I am open or closed.

I also send home monthly calendars outlining our monthy activites and events in which I also mark off my closed days. I also keep a white board calendar by the door which also mark the days I am closed.

I take off 7 days a year (all holidays except my birthday) and all paid (except my birthday)

I also have two weeks vacation that falls at the same time every year. I take the week of the 4th of July and the week between Christmas and New Year's.

The actual dates vary each year but the parents know in January ALL closing dates for the entire year.
MarinaVanessa 08:00 AM 06-05-2012
I do several things:

I send the next year's Holiday Schedule home in the form of a flyer every December.

At the beginning of the month I post a notice on the Parent Communication Board with a reminder of days that the daycare will be closed.

I add those days onto my website calendar.

I remind them through Facebook.

I add reminders to their invoices.

Also when they use their "free" vacation days I keep track of how many days they have left by adding it to their invoices.
DBug 09:22 AM 06-05-2012
I hand out my closure dates in December for the upcoming year. I take all stats off (paid), one week at Christmas and two weeks in August (unpaid). I do the same as Blackcat and make fridge magnets for each family. I also have the dates listed on my website. Besides that, I figure it's up to the families themselves to keep track of my closure dates. I don't remind them about any of them except for the August break, and that's just usually a sign on the bulletin board.

I've only ever had one parent drop off on a stat. I was watching from an upstairs window, but the blinds were closed and the doors were locked. He realized as soon as he tried to open the door (my dc parents always let themselves in), and he took off. We never actually talked about it, but it hasn't happened since .
Tags:calendars, time off, tracking days off, vacation
Reply Up