Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Mosquito Bite Looks Like Black Eye

So I have a foster kid In care. He has swelling near his eye. Originally it looked as though something happened during parent visitation but now social worker is blaming daycare. They think it's a bump from falling or something. I think it's mosquitoes. They want dcb to go to Dr. I agree. But it's a whole stress full situation either way.

Last edited by Michael; 09-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma View Post
So I have a foster kid In care. He has swellIng near his eye. Originally it looked as though something happened during parent visitation but now social worker is blaming daycare. They think it's a bump from falling or something. I think it's mosquitoes. They want dcb to go to Dr. I agree. But it's a whole stress full situation either way.
This happened to my DD. It was actually a spider bite. It swelled up so bad! I thought she had hit her eye on something and I took her to the dr. Spider bite & 1st dose of antibiotics cleared it up almost immediately!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Yea. I'm looking forward to his DR appt. There is no bruising what so ever, so it can't be a black eye from a bump. I just get stressed out very easily and it upsets me that they are basically accusing me of neglect or lack of supervision.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would feel the same way!!! Keep us posted
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yea. I'm looking forward to his DR appt. There is no bruising what so ever, so it can't be a black eye from a bump. I just get stressed out very easily and it upsets me that they are basically accusing me of neglect or lack of supervision.
(((hugs))) I could not work under those conditions. If they have trust issues with me, then I don't want them in my care.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

hugs to you..dont stress and hang in there....the truth will always surface.

My oldest is allergic to them and recently he went fishing with his uncles. Of course he did not take anything to repel them (hes 17, he knows better) and the next day it looked like someone beat him with a baseball bat. He had golf ball size black and blue bumps all over him. I ended up having to take him to the doctors.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Three of my granddaughters and numerous dckids in my care over my many years of care have been allergic to mosquito venom and I have occasionally seen the black eye. Take him to the Dr just to be safe. He'll get some benedryl and a Dr note for the records.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
(((hugs))) I could not work under those conditions. If they have trust issues with me, then I don't want them in my care.
I hear you. Foster mom has no question. Social worker doesn't know me from Adam and birth parents are looking for every single way to fight the placement, so I get stuck in the middle. What was I thinking! LOL
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I hear you. Foster mom has no question. Social worker doesn't know me from Adam and birth parents are looking for every single way to fight the placement, so I get stuck in the middle. What was I thinking! LOL
That's got to be so stressful for you! I can't imagine being in your position. I hope the dr's visit clears up the doubt the social worker has.

My kids always reacted to mosquito bites. I have pictures of each of them with eyes that were all purple/red and swollen. It did look as though someone had beat them up. I guess I'm lucky no one at the film processing plant decided to report me for abuse! I can see where someone would think it was. My nephew also has reactions to bites - to the point where he had to be hospitalized for most of them when he was younger. He's growing out of the allergy now but my brother and his wife went through a lot of questioning when they would bring him to the ER.

Just edited my reply to add: It may be a good thing for the boy to see his dr. anyway, so the dr. can take a look at the bite. I never gave my kids' bites any thought until my dd had one just in time for her yearly physical. Her pedi saw it and totally freaked out on me. He was ready to have her hospitalized and put on antibiotics. It wasn't until I told him that I hadn't thought to call him because I used to have the same reaction to mosquito bites when I was younger. He backed down at that point but circled the swollen area with a pen and said that if it didn't get better or became more swollen - beyond the ink line he drew - he wanted me to call him immediately. Apparently, if the bite becomes infected, the infection can go to the brain quickly and then become an emergency situation.

Last edited by e.j.; 09-06-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added a thought.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Nature Lover

Well with the west nile virus going around I guess Drs. are on full alert for mosquito bites.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 AM

DR confirmed it was mosquito bites!!!!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
DR confirmed it was mosquito bites!!!!
Yah!!

I understand why CPS has to be involved and has to assume the worst so their butts are covered "just in case" but that is such a hard situation for you and the foster family to be in.

I am glad it worked out and was nothing more than what you orginally suspected and I am also glad the foster mom knows you well enough to really trust you fully.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 09-09-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Tags
bug bites, spider bite