Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Intrusive Parents
wink212 06:59 AM 10-21-2013
I had a situation come up this week that I'm not sure how to take. My daycare is in my basement and on the weekends I don't go down often. Last weekend a mouse decided to visit. On Monday morning a dcm saw evidence of it before I did and freaked out. She called her husband and he came to pick up their child. He came armed with a flashlight and proceeded to inspect my daycare,and storage area of my house. They wouldn't bring their daughter back until they were assured I had sanitized everything. This morning they came back and he again went through the daycare inspecting for any signs. I feel very offended that he did this but maybe I'm overreacting. How would you handle this situation?
craftymissbeth 07:16 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by wink212:
I had a situation come up this week that I'm not sure how to take. My daycare is in my basement and on the weekends I don't go down often. Last weekend a mouse decided to visit. On Monday morning a dcm saw evidence of it before I did and freaked out. She called her husband and he came to pick up their child. He came armed with a flashlight and proceeded to inspect my daycare,and storage area of my house. They wouldn't bring their daughter back until they were assured I had sanitized everything. This morning they came back and he again went through the daycare inspecting for any signs. I feel very offended that he did this but maybe I'm overreacting. How would you handle this situation?

We came across a mouse recently (actually it came across us ::shudder:. We caught it that same night and haven't seen any evidence since. I'm a little freaked by it, but it's just that time of year. Plus with our crazy Kansas weather they might just be looking for a warm spot for the night (I hope).

I would never ever ever ever ever allow a dcp to snoop around like that. Even if I couldn't afford it I'd term immediately. I understand their concerns because I'm one to associate mice with uncleanliness (even though we've had them before when it gets cold) but I would never let them do what he did. Were you aware that he was doing that? Also, what evidence diddcm find? If it was a piece of mouse poop I can't believe she even saw it lol

ETA: I didn't mean that your home isn't clean... Hope you don't take it like that!
daycarediva 07:21 AM 10-21-2013
I live near corn fields, a large wooded area and a winery. We also have a huge barn on our property. Mice happen. I have cats, and they bring them to the door. I have NEVER had a dcp even be upset over it. My 'diva' dcm said "Better dead and outside than alive and inside!"

I am a SUPER clean person, and especially this time of year, they are just looking for a warm spot for winter. I would have termed IMMEDIATELY.
Unregistered 07:29 AM 10-21-2013
I also would be concerned as a parent but would take the overall into account. My first gut instinct would be concern but if the home was usually in good shape I would let it go for a little bit. If there is still an ongoing problem later then I would start looking. If its not something they can understand happens from time to time, especially in these months then they are better off leaving.

Even the nicest most expensive houses can get mice from time to time. You can't always do anything about it. If they can't understand that then it would probably be more frustration in the long run.
spinnymarie 07:29 AM 10-21-2013
I would definitely be offended.
They seem a little unreasonable, and untrusting - I would question why they were sending their child to my home if they didn't trust me to know how to disinfect (? wouldn't that be a KEY duty in childcare?)
I would ask them, I guess. Maybe mention that it is your JOB to keep their child safe (including from mice, mouse poop, and other diseases - including form other children) and that you understand that a mouse is very upsetting to see (you were upset, obviously), but that you are well aware of how to handle the problem, and that mice are VERY common at this time of year...
Willow 07:49 AM 10-21-2013
As a provider I would have been offended enough to address it, but terming would have depended on their response. I wouldn't have jumped there immediately.

As a parent, I totally get it.
NeedaVaca 07:53 AM 10-21-2013
I would be very offended. Seriously, mice do get inside sometimes! I grew up in the country and it was a regular occurrence. It's gross yes, but you get mouse traps and they will be gone shortly I would never let a DCP do that in my house...We also get ants certain times of year and then ladybugs that all somehow get in the house! It's natural IMO, as long as your house is clean you shouldn't allow someone to do that. You take care of the problems as they happen just like everyone else!
wink212 08:00 AM 10-21-2013
I did talk with them about it and explained that I have always gone above and beyond for my parents as I want them to feel completely comfortable leaving their child with me. Last year at the same time of year we had a mouse family move in while we were gone for a week over Thanksgiving.I was so grossed out I took off 2 days to fumigate my house and even threw furniture away so they know I take it seriously. I think that's what bugged me the most is I've always gone overboard. Also there was no "evidence" in or around my kitchen or food areas only in my storage area which is right next to the napping room. That's how the mom saw it. Frustrating thing is we set more than 10 traps and we haven't caught anything or seen anymore evidince of one being here. My venting about dcd must have scared him off.
playdate4 08:42 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by wink212:
I did talk with them about it and explained that I have always gone above and beyond for my parents as I want them to feel completely comfortable leaving their child with me. Last year at the same time of year we had a mouse family move in while we were gone for a week over Thanksgiving.I was so grossed out I took off 2 days to fumigate my house and even threw furniture away so they know I take it seriously. I think that's what bugged me the most is I've always gone overboard. Also there was no "evidence" in or around my kitchen or food areas only in my storage area which is right next to the napping room. That's how the mom saw it. Frustrating thing is we set more than 10 traps and we haven't caught anything or seen anymore evidince of one being here. My venting about dcd must have scared him off.
love how the vent scared the mouse away lol great thinking..

Lol my DCM laughs at me because I am terrified of those ugly things my cat caught one Friday and when DCGrandma came she picked up dead mouse for me lol thank good ness it was nap time so no one was up..
Play Care 09:18 AM 10-21-2013
I actually have a fear of mice so I can understand the mom not being thrilled. I do think they went too far - *IF* they trusted/respected you they probably would have asked what you were going to do about it/have done about it and went from there. Are there other issues with this family?

One of my state regs is about keeping the area free from pests - even if that means using a company to do it.
JenNJ 09:19 AM 10-21-2013
We get a mouse or two every winter. It is NOT a big deal.

I would be offended and hurt if someone treated me/my home that way. I would tyell them my plan to deal with it and move on. If they couldn't understand, then I would have to let them go. I cannot live under a microscope.
Soccermom 09:58 AM 10-21-2013
Mice can carry diseases and germs. Their urine and feces can be hazardous to children so I can understand their concern.

I am assuming the DCD was likely trying to find the mouse for you and help out since they probably really like the care you provide to their child.

We had a mouse come into our house once and I bleached everything LOL I was so afraid my little ones would get sick from it.
Luna 10:39 AM 10-21-2013
I would every offended and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have just let someone go through my space like that.
We've never seen signs of mice in the house but we have had quite a few delivered to us by our neighbourhood cats, so we know they're in our neighbourhood. How germy are these little guys anyway? I'm sure not going to look out for mouse poop in my yard!
Cradle2crayons 11:20 AM 10-21-2013
I would be offended also.

But my parents know I have pet mice lol so it probably wouldn't have freaked them out (read my post from a month ago of one of my pet baby mice getting out.... FOUR TIMES. Three times I rescued him from e mouth of a cat... Once I had to set a safe trap and catch him because he got passed the cats lol.

But as far as wild mice nope... They wouldn't make it a day here and I don't save them from the cats lol. We live in the woods and the cats constantly catch mice, rats, voles, moles outside but we haven't had a single wild one get in yet. (Must be pretty smart ).

As a mom, I get where this dad was coming from. However, if you've had them a while and they trust and know you are caring for their kid and doing the right things...l I'd have NOT let dad continue with his intrusion.

As far as e traps...try peanut butter as the bait.. And be sure you leave me I disturbed over night. You'll get it if he hasn't already left.
jenn 02:22 PM 10-21-2013
I would be offended. I would have a sit down discussion with the family. I would want to find out if they are just freaked out by mice or if they are overly picky about everything. If they are too high needs, I would term. I can understand their concern, but mice can and do get in to any house. There is a huge difference between being infested with rodents and having an occasional mouse.
We had a mouse a few years ago, and our cat was scared to death of it. We only saw it twice before catching it, and our cat would run and hide under the bed. Chicken.
momofboys 06:07 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I would be offended. I would have a sit down discussion with the family. I would want to find out if they are just freaked out by mice or if they are overly picky about everything. If they are too high needs, I would term. I can understand their concern, but mice can and do get in to any house. There is a huge difference between being infested with rodents and having an occasional mouse. We had a mouse a few years ago, and our cat was scared to death of it. We only saw it twice before catching it, and our cat would run and hide under the bed. Chicken.
This! We too get an occasional mouse when the weather changes - doesn't mean we are dirty people or not concerned about the well-being of the kids in our care. These things are not always preventable.
Tags:mouse, parent - over protective, parents - disrespect
Reply Up