Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If I Could, I Would...
Msdunny 09:06 AM 01-08-2014
This may have been a thread before, but just crossed my mind today. If you could do any job...have any profession...what would you do? Let's suppose money is no issue.

I would either:

- Write for a living. I love doing Bible study, and would love to write either a book or study for others to do.

- Open a boutique type of store, either selling children's items or fair-trade items.

- Be on the mission field with my family.

So, what about you?
Cat Herder 09:12 AM 01-08-2014
If money was no issue...

Open a Non-Profit, Elderly Care Center / Hospice for Veterans.
TwinKristi 09:17 AM 01-08-2014
Deliver babies!! I've always wanted to be a L&D RN or midwife but had to put college on hold and work straight out of high school. I don't think I like the hospital atmosphere as much anymore and would probably prefer to be a doula for home births or birth centers.
Leigh 09:19 AM 01-08-2014
Believe it or not, I am already doing what I love. I just wish I was independently wealthy in addition to it. If I could, I would expand my services, provide more mental health services to families here, take on more kids and an assistant to do the cooking and cleaning while I spent more time with the kids.
TaylorTots 09:22 AM 01-08-2014
Home daycare lol

I would build a bigger house though better designed for daycare layout
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 01-08-2014
If I could work in any profession without care or worry about what income it brought in, I would be an anthropologist and/or a sociologist

I would also love to be a theologian.
Annalee 09:38 AM 01-08-2014
I do love home child care as well, but if money was no object, I would like to further my education in psychology. It intrigues me to observe what makes persons "tick" and "why". This "me", "needy", "high-maintenanced" generation amuses me. I guess this is another reason I enjoy home child care. As providers, we wear many hats and psychologist is one of them. I find myself "helping" parents with tidbits of counseling as often as caring for the children.
childcaremom 09:40 AM 01-08-2014
I would teach yoga full time to children and teens. I love doing daycare but love yoga more
AcornMama 09:44 AM 01-08-2014
International travel guide...see the world!
mountainside13 09:48 AM 01-08-2014
I also would love to be a nurse in maternity to deliver babies! Children have always been my passion and what I want to do for a living. I would quit daycare to be a maternity nurse.

Or hire someone to deal with the parents! If I could just work with the kids , it would be so much easier!
sally 10:08 AM 01-08-2014
Work at a zoo or own a pet store/pet supply store.
Childminder 10:22 AM 01-08-2014
Artist, specifically porcelain or oil.
Leanna 10:26 AM 01-08-2014
Home day care...but bigger & better! I'd have my "dream" set-up!

Or a professional student...I'd LOVE to get my Master's and then a PhD. I am a huge nerd and I loved college!

If day care wasn't an option I'd be a librarian. Or a reading teacher.

For some funny reason I also always thought it would be cool to be the person who makes all the food for the animals at the zoo...
Brooksie 10:36 AM 01-08-2014
Photographer!
Stepping 11:07 AM 01-08-2014
I would love to be an anthropologist or archeologist and travel around the world learning about different cultures.
SSWonders 11:13 AM 01-08-2014
I would be independently wealthy, pack my bags and move somewhere warm and sunny.
preschoolteacher 11:21 AM 01-08-2014
I would first love to have 100% of my time to raise/homeschool/unschool my children without having to run a daycare in order to stay home.

Once my kids were old enough to be mostly independent in their homeschooling/unschooling, I would love to buy several small homes in my city and turn them into in-home preschools/daycares (for kids 2-5). After getting it all off the ground, I'd love to direct and manage operations. Then, I'd want to write books about early childhood education, give seminars, and travel as a speaker!

Big dreams I'd be happy just to raise my kids and unschool, though.
Patches 11:36 AM 01-08-2014
Tattoo artist... but, artistic ability would have to be no issue as well.
JoseyJo 12:14 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I would be independently wealthy, pack my bags and move somewhere warm and sunny.

melilley 12:27 PM 01-08-2014
I actually would love to open up a small center or have a bigger home daycare set up where it's separate from my living spaces...and where I could hire people to help and to go on field trips-besides a walk in my neighborhood!

Or if I didn't have kids and were younger, a flight attendant!
thetoddlerwhisper 12:38 PM 01-08-2014
home daycare or a nonprofit childrens home. maybe a social worker. maybe
WImom 12:48 PM 01-08-2014
I would be a dog sitter/SAHM
SilverSabre25 12:50 PM 01-08-2014
Scientist specifically researching genetics, probably. Or chemist. The science of taste/scent fascinate me in particular and I could see myself there.
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by WImom:
I would be a dog sitter/SAHM
There is a doggie daycare about 3 or 4 houses down from my house.

That gal makes $30 PER day (child care isn't that much per day here) and the dog parents must provide all food.

She just puts them in runs and plays fetch with them all day.

I totally went into the wrong kind of care business...
WImom 01:04 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is a doogie daycare about 3 or 4 houses down from my house.

That gal makes $30 PER day (child care isn't that much per day here) and the dog parents must provide all food.

It seems like it's getting more popular here and it has crossed my mind to change in a few years. I already have a separate daycare space inside and out that I could just convert for the doggies!!
craftymissbeth 01:20 PM 01-08-2014
I would build my own home specifically with home daycare in mind. It would all be one building, but the daycare and my home would be TOTALLY separate. This actually really, really makes me want to start towards this goal. Thank you for posting this question! There's absolutely no reason why any of us should be doing anything we don't love love love!
spud912 02:02 PM 01-08-2014
Would this be after my children are all grown? If not, then I would open a center, but run it like a home where the caregivers remain the same (due to my awesome wages and benefits) and the ratio would be much much lower. But the set-up would be ridiculous with all sorts of well-stocked centers and a nature-inspired outdoor play area (but also with a playground). There might also be an indoor play area for inclement weather.

If my children were grown, then I would like to be like Anthony Bourdain, traveling, sampling food and cultures, and writing about my experiences. I also always wanted to be a physician or dentist. I especially love the idea of surgery... it fascinates me!
TwinKristi 04:54 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is a doogie daycare about 3 or 4 houses down from my house.

I was just talking about this last night! I could probably make more money running a doggy daycare instead of a child daycare sadly! LOL how backwards is that?? LOL They only charge $30/day here too! I charge more than that! LOL
MyAngels 06:03 PM 01-08-2014
Hmmm.... do I have to do something? Couldn't I just be one of those Ladies who Lunch.....
sahm1225 06:39 PM 01-08-2014
I would buy the house next door to us (it's vacant, the owner owns & lives in the house on the other side of us) and completely redo it as my dte
Daycare.

Or I would be a travel planner for the wealthy where of course I would test out all the fancy travel arrangements to ensure quality

Or I would write kids books
_Dana_ 08:45 PM 01-08-2014
Right now I'm doing what I want to do. I'm able to be available to my children and provide for my family. When we decided to move back to the States, we choose where we moved to with the intent on opening a FHCC.

However, if money were no object, I would be a philanthropist. I would set up trusts for programs to provide funds so they could more effectively run their programs. I have a few in particular in mind, a domestic violence emergency shelter and a crisis center for domestic violence victims that I used 6 years ago when my son and I left my abuser. They were critical in successfully leaving that toxic relationship behind. They helped me to obtain a protection order, accompanied me to court dates, and were so supportive throughout the whole ordeal. I still try to make a donation whenever I can, no matter how small. They saved my life.

I would also like to anonymously award good people, who do things to make the world a better place, by helping to improve their own lives....paying off a mortgage, paying off school debt, paying off medical bills, sending them on a vacation with family, etc. I love to see good things happen to good people. It warms my heart.
pandamom 10:30 PM 01-08-2014
I like what I do- working as a 2 year old caregiver in a NAEYC center. However I'd like to do without all the NAEYC criteria and paperwork

Once DH retires from the Air Force and my sons are older, we want to go get some acerage in Montana and have a small homestead. DH's family has a cattle ranch in Montana so DH is familiar with the lifestyle.
Laurel 04:40 AM 01-09-2014
Weird this question would come up now as I am retiring sometime this year. I'm still mulling over the timing, etc. I keep thinking "What am I going to do all day?" As I was thinking of volunteer work or maybe a part time job in another line of work, for variety, things kept popping in my head relating to children!

I've always liked what I do. The only drawbacks were low pay and long hours. Now that I type that I think "What is wrong with me."

If money were no object, I'd like to do strictly volunteer work. I'd like to be very wealthy so I didn't need to make money but I'd still want to work at whatever rewarding cause needed my attention at the moment.

Laurel
Familycare71 05:23 AM 01-09-2014
I would be a sahm and have an animal shelter-
Familycare71 05:24 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Weird this question would come up now as I am retiring sometime this year. I'm still mulling over the timing, etc. I keep thinking "What am I going to do all day?" As I was thinking of volunteer work or maybe a part time job in another line of work, for variety, things kept popping in my head relating to children!

I've always liked what I do. The only drawbacks were low pay and long hours. Now that I type that I think "What is wrong with me."

If money were no object, I'd like to do strictly volunteer work. I'd like to be very wealthy so I didn't need to make money but I'd still want to work at whatever rewarding cause needed my attention at the moment.

Laurel

Meeko 06:02 AM 01-09-2014
If money wasn't an issue...then I would simply like to be retired and doing whatever I want.

If I had to work......I would do whatever changes I wanted to my daycare space to make it amazingly perfect, hire others to do most of the work and charge $1000 day per child.......(hey this is a dream, OK!)
Reply Up