Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do You Let 7 Month Old Cry At Nap Time?
rosieteddy 10:51 AM 09-09-2014
I have a fairly new 7 monthold (3 weeks)he will sleep in my arms or stroller on walks.He screams if put in crib.I have 5 other children sleeping and I am trying not to rock him the whole nap time.What would anyone suggest?
Thriftylady 10:55 AM 09-09-2014
I would lay him down a little sooner than the others and see if that helps, that way it won't bother them. How does he go to sleep at home? I know that some parents give a bottle to go to bed, and I won't do that, and some states don't allow providers to do it at all with good reason. But if it happens at home you are going to have a huge problem. Been there it is no fun.
rosieteddy 11:01 AM 09-09-2014
He has spent the last 6 months in moms arms or car at nap time.He is a nursed baby and mom just fed on demand and cuddled him to sleep.I do have him seperate from the others and there is music on .I just do not want to start with the rocking to sleep.Usually I get infants at 3 months and do rock for a month or so ,he is older and I need a break.I think a rested baby makes for a happier afternoon.I just wondered how long is long enough to let him cry.
Annalee 11:05 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I have a fairly new 7 monthold (3 weeks)he will sleep in my arms or stroller on walks.He screams if put in crib.I have 5 other children sleeping and I am trying not to rock him the whole nap time.What would anyone suggest?
I run 2 fans and music at nap...usually mondays may have some crying because the baby has nursed for 24/7 all weekend but by Tuesday, the child usually adjusts....even the little ones learn how each place has different rules and then adjust! I am in one room but the older children adjust to the sounds as well and do not let it affect their nap/activities, etc.
rosieteddy 11:10 AM 09-09-2014
Ihave music on the whole floor will add a fan to baby area.Thanks
Cat Herder 11:15 AM 09-09-2014
20 minutes in the crib then back to floor play if he is still awake.
Shell 11:42 AM 09-09-2014
I had one like this- they have to learn to self soothe!!! There's no way around it- and it's going to be hard, but it must be done now or it's going to get harder. Agree with pp, put the child down a little earlier. My 6 month old needs a nap every 2 hours- if I lay her down before she is over tired, she does well. Otherwise, we have a tough time. Predictable nap schedule is key. First day, I went in to re-assure every 5 mins. Now, she cries for maybe 5 mins and is out. Good luck!
craftymissbeth 11:48 AM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
He has spent the last 6 months in moms arms or car at nap time.He is a nursed baby and mom just fed on demand and cuddled him to sleep.I do have him seperate from the others and there is music on .I just do not want to start with the rocking to sleep.Usually I get infants at 3 months and do rock for a month or so ,he is older and I need a break.I think a rested baby makes for a happier afternoon.I just wondered how long is long enough to let him cry.
I've had two like this. Neither are with me any longer

One was 15 months when I termed... her parents were a-okay with her still sleeping in a swing... yeah, no thanks

The other was 15 months also and thankfully I only had him 5 days before mom termed. She said I wasn't a good fit he cried from drop off until pick up and flung himself over the PNP side to get out... straight onto his head. I was over it quick.

IME, the ones who are rocked, fed, poopoo'd to sleep just don't belong in my environment. Harsh, but true. I'm not rocking any infant to sleep. Not even newborns.
rosieteddy 11:52 AM 09-09-2014
He slept for 15 min and is fussing again.He is not screaming so I am hoping he will settle down.I get so mad with parents who do this knowing he will have a tough adjustment.I am really trying to not rock him.Yesterday he only slept 15 min am and 10 before going home.
Shell 12:56 PM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I've had two like this. Neither are with me any longer

One was 15 months when I termed... her parents were a-okay with her still sleeping in a swing... yeah, no thanks

The other was 15 months also and thankfully I only had him 5 days before mom termed. She said I wasn't a good fit he cried from drop off until pick up and flung himself over the PNP side to get out... straight onto his head. I was over it quick.

IME, the ones who are rocked, fed, poopoo'd to sleep just don't belong in my environment. Harsh, but true. I'm not rocking any infant to sleep. Not even newborns.
I agree with this, but it must have been temporary insanity when I started my most recent newborns. Both fed on demand, and held/rocked/put in swing to sleep. I literally carried them around, rocking them, until about a week later, I couldn't take it anymore! I came in here, and Heidi gave me awesome advice about starting a schedule- life saver!
daycare 01:08 PM 09-09-2014
when stuff like this happens it really teaches us how to interview better. Now we know what questions to ask next time.

How does your child fall asleep?
Can they self soothe, drink from a bottle,
do you rock them to sleep etc....

I have one that I recently enrolled and the mother is still nursing 2.5year old and co-sleeps,. Kid was waking up screaming at the top of her lungs as soon as she woke up. I am sure looking for milk and mom.

I told mom i give her 3 weeks to adjust and if she does not you can either stop co-sleeping or pick her up as soon as she wakes up (she works from home and is close) or I will have to term.

so now DCM is picking up as soon as child wakes up.
TwinKristi 01:39 PM 09-09-2014
At 7 mos if they've been fed, burped, changed, etc. I would start sleep training. Like someone else recommended lay him down first and let him get his cries out for a bit but eventually (at least if he's there FT) he will learn to soothe himself and sleep on his own. I had a 10 month old who had been nursing/cosleeping at home with mom but after a week I was able to get her napping with everyone else. Sometimes she wakes up and fusses for a minute but she goes back to sleep. I have 2 in that room and thankfully they don't seem to wake each other up or anything. Whew!!
Heidi 02:54 PM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
At 7 mos if they've been fed, burped, changed, etc. I would start sleep training. Like someone else recommended lay him down first and let him get his cries out for a bit but eventually (at least if he's there FT) he will learn to soothe himself and sleep on his own. I had a 10 month old who had been nursing/cosleeping at home with mom but after a week I was able to get her napping with everyone else. Sometimes she wakes up and fusses for a minute but she goes back to sleep. I have 2 in that room and thankfully they don't seem to wake each other up or anything. Whew!!

I guess no one is giving you a straight answer, but this is a good one. We can't really say "15 minutes" or "2 hours".

I would let it pretty much go as long as it takes to sleep. BUT, a big BUT, is I would go in periodically and soothe without picking up. If cries, then sleeps 20 minutes, then wakes up, I'd wait a few minutes, then go back to resettling. Dark room, whisper "still nap time", and a gentle hand on his tummy for a minute.

Honestly, at 7 months I'd expect a shorter nap in the a.m. (one round..however long that is), and at least a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.
Once he conquers feeling comfortable going to sleep without a major drama, he'll get better at longer naps.
daycare 03:21 PM 09-09-2014
sorry I was not much help. I used cry it out for my older two kids.

I started my daughter at 4 months and basically followed this.

let cry for 10 min go in say nothing and then lay them back down if they are sitting up. do not make eye contact don't say or offer anything else. If you need to say something just quietly say night night night night, leave quickly, don't stick around.

next time wait 15 min rinse and repeat, add 5 more minutes each time before you respond.

by the time my daughter was 5 months old I had her sleeping from 7pm to 7am and taking 2 naps of about 1.5 hours each.

Oh how I miss those days...lol
Cat Herder 06:20 PM 09-09-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I guess no one is giving you a straight answer, We can't really say "15 minutes" or "2 hours".

No, legally... according to my regulations... 20 minutes then get him down. Infant regs, until 12 months. That is as straight an answer as it gets.

The question in the OP was "what do you do"... not what should I do.

There were loads of RAD and "delayed" babies that grew up in daycares that propped bottles and left them in cribs all day to prevent them from touching one another. Many parents still have to be warmed up to their infants being placed on the floor to play. It will take a generation or two for it to sink in. Our regs are knee jerk from that era.
holly333 06:27 PM 09-09-2014
Routine is key, follow it as much as possible. Lights out, play music and say goodnight… check back in every 5-15 min, no eye contact say night night lay them back down. Day by day/week by week it will get easier. If you can get parents on board, even better!! You're at a good age now.. I think it gets harder the older they are.

Good luck!
TwinKristi 06:56 PM 09-09-2014
It's amazing how I can sleep train DCK's like a pro and my own kids I had a hard time with. My first 3 slept well who all went to a home daycare but my last 3 didn't who I was a SAHM with. LOL
DaisyMamma 08:33 AM 09-10-2014
He's spoiled.
Lay him down earlier and let him CIO.
Not fun but it works.
Heidi 09:01 AM 09-10-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No, legally... according to my regulations... 20 minutes then get him down. Infant regs, until 12 months. That is as straight an answer as it gets.

The question in the OP was "what do you do"... not what should I do.

There were loads of RAD and "delayed" babies that grew up in daycares that propped bottles and left them in cribs all day to prevent them from touching one another. Many parents still have to be warmed up to their infants being placed on the floor to play. It will take a generation or two for it to sink in. Our regs are knee jerk from that era.
Ok, I should have read the question better.

We don't have the 20 minute rule here. It's much more vague than that. I usually go in after 6 or 7 minutes the first time, then 8 or 9, etc.

It's always one extreme or another, eh? They're either AP'd or their "RAD". We totally lack any common sense sometimes, it seems.
rosieteddy 11:09 AM 09-10-2014
Well today went better.He slept a little 20 min on arrival then 15 in stroller I woke both infants by 10;30am playtime lunch ,floor play changed and then started getting everyone own.I cudled him and lay him down beenasleep for half hour.Of coyrse day three of the week.He will probally go right down tomorrow and friday then back to the drawing board Monday.Thanks for all the tips.
Tags:confinement, equipment, infant - sleeping issues, safe play space
Reply Up