Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Blackcat
spud912 03:39 PM 12-16-2014
Or anyone else with a similar policy......
This year's contract revision included an excerpt that if you are not working or attending school that your child can't be dropped off at open times and/or picked up when I close. There is nothing worse than staying open or waking up early for people who are not working. The question I have is how to enforce this rule?
daycare 03:42 PM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
This year's contract revision included an excerpt that if you are not working or attending school that your child can't be dropped off at open times and/or picked up when I close. There is nothing worse than staying open or waking up early for people who are not working. The question I have is how to enforce this rule?
speaking from experience you don't. can i ask why it matters what your parents are doing while their kids are at DC?

I think that this has been a hot topic on here for years. Honestly, if your parents are paying you on time, following all of the rules, why do you care what they are doing.

If you try to control that, parents will just start to lie to you about what they are doing.
Blackcat31 04:24 PM 12-16-2014
You really cant... You just make the policy and tell parents... I also add that if anyone is found to be deceitful, I will term.
...and trust that your clients follow the rule.

Its really all you can do.
Meeko 04:36 PM 12-16-2014
While I think it's a moral shame that parents just don't seem to want to spend time with their own kids nowadays, I have just tried to put it in business terms.

I am offering a service from 6AM to 6PM Monday thru Friday. Parents can buy that service and use it however they like. Just pay me on time.

It is too hard to worry about what they are doing while their kids are with me. As long as I can get hold of them whenever I need to, they can be doing whatever they care to do.

Walmart doesn't worry about what I am going to prepare with the chicken they just sold me. I feel the same about my services. Buy it and use it however.
SignMeUp 05:16 PM 12-16-2014
I wonder if the problem providers have with this dates back to pre-cell phone era issues.
I remember when I'd call a parent at work because their child was sick, and find out that they never went in that day. It isn't much of an issue now, because it seems that at many workplaces, you only get voicemail anyway, and parents are more reachable on their cell phone, whether a personal cell or work cell.

It did used to irk me terribly to waste my time calling a place where the parent wasn't - and they'd never told me.
Unregistered 05:20 PM 12-16-2014
I guess you could make 2 separate classes of clients. One class gets to use your services when they need to because you approve of their lifestyle (that's the students or workers). The second class clients get to come at less convenient times because you have decided they don't have an equal need and you don't approve of their lifestyle and parenting choices. You can put that in your contract and charge two different rates!
midaycare 05:29 PM 12-16-2014
I think you can state it however you want, but enforcing it would be another thing.

Personally, I don't care what parents are doing with the time they buy from me, much like Meeko. I appreciate having a job I like, so I try not to get so concerned with the ins and outs of every single thing.

I'm pretty relaxed though. I've never charged a late fee (and I don't have an issue with lateness, but it happens on occasion), I let parents come early when they need to - within business hours, I'm just really flexible.

I just had a parent this week take a "mental health" day while dropping dcb off. I thought it was great! We all need a break now and then.

I think you can try to enforce it, but then dcf's would just lie about where they are.
Cradle2crayons 07:35 PM 12-16-2014
I don't have an open to close program.

I offer ONLY contracted care for people who work or attend school.

They are required to provide me with a schedule at enrollment preferably pre printed from work and signed by a manager.

If their schedule changes, I require immediate notification.

At interview I explain if they lie about their schedule, they will be immediately termed.

My rate depends on their schedule. And because I offer non traditional hours and not an "open to close" program, it works wonderfully.

HOWEVER, if a parents schedule next week is 11a-8p and they tell me ahead of time they have a say, mammogram at 11a and then are going to work, I absolutely wouldn't have an issue.

I allow drop off 1 hour before they start and pick up is 1 hour after their shift is over. That's because I live in the middle of nowhere and that's how far people have to drive to get to work.
daycarediva 03:40 AM 12-17-2014
The only way I have found to deter this is to do contracted hours, offer a few unpaid days off if they keep the kid home and to ASK if they are working on expected days off that I am open (eg. Labor day).

I find that families who parent like this aren't the best fit for my program and I go over it on interview but I don't always weed them all out. I have two kids here who spend the bare minimum amount of time with their parents and are farmed out (love that phrase!) to anyone who will take them.

It isn't my business. I try not to judge.
Play Care 04:42 AM 12-17-2014
Are you talking about people you are offering special for by opening early and closing late, or just people using your contracted open hours? The former I DO have an issue with and would tell the parent straight out "Jane, as you are aware I agreed to open early/close late because of your work schedule. When you are not working, the hours are x to x."
The latter, I don't know how you could. Though I keep my hours of operation shorter than most so I don't feel that it's a big deal. Perhaps working to change your hours so you're not feeling as put out?
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Are you talking about people you are offering special for by opening early and closing late, or just people using your contracted open hours? The former I DO have an issue with and would tell the parent straight out "Jane, as you are aware I agreed to open early/close late because of your work schedule. When you are not working, the hours are x to x."
The latter, I don't know how you could. Though I keep my hours of operation shorter than most so I don't feel that it's a big deal. Perhaps working to change your hours so you're not feeling as put out?
IIRC, Spud is referring to regularly attending daycare kids who's parents have a day off......and on those days that the parent brings them but that those kids are the ones that end up being first to be dropped off and last to be picked up.

I do not care why parents buy my services. I don't care what they are doing when their child is here but I DO care that the kid who's parent is sitting at home doing whatever on their one day off, brings their kid the second I open and leaves them until the second I close on that day off.

That schedule can happen when it's a work day but when it's a parent's "off day" I get needing to do xx without your kid....whatever... just don't be that first one here and last one picked up on that particular day.

You got a break from your kid, now give me one too....kwim?

I'm pretty positive that scenario is what Spud is referring to.
Country Kids 07:37 AM 12-17-2014
Like another poster said-I know it irks me when I have called a parent and then find out they never went to work that day.

I have no idea if I can reach them and it seems more time then not, you call a parent they still do not pick up their phone. I know at work at least they will answer or can be paged till picking the phone up.
Heidi 12:03 PM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
IIRC, Spud is referring to regularly attending daycare kids who's parents have a day off......and on those days that the parent brings them but that those kids are the ones that end up being first to be dropped off and last to be picked up.

I do not care why parents buy my services. I don't care what they are doing when their child is here but I DO care that the kid who's parent is sitting at home doing whatever on their one day off, brings their kid the second I open and leaves them until the second I close on that day off.

That schedule can happen when it's a work day but when it's a parent's "off day" I get needing to do xx without your kid....whatever... just don't be that first one here and last one picked up on that particular day.

You got a break from your kid, now give me one too....kwim?

I'm pretty positive that scenario is what Spud is referring to.
The way I read it, she opens earlier than she normally would, and closes later, for a certain family because of their work schedules. So, if they aren't at work, she want those kids there within the same hours as the other children.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
The way I read it, she opens earlier than she normally would, and closes later, for a certain family because of their work schedules. So, if they aren't at work, she want those kids there within the same hours as the other children.
...we (Spud, me and a few others) had this convo before ...that's why I think she specifically asked me about it.

I don't think she is saying she opens EARLIER than normal...I think she is saying why get up early at all if a family that is coming, isn't going into work....thus not really needing to be there her regular hours.....(see bolded above)

It just seems that it's always the way things go. Billy is here from 7-5....all of your available hours. Which is normally not an issue but on the rare day that Billy's mom isn't working, there is no need for him to be there the entire 7-5 time frame because at the end of the day when you (the provider) are MORE than ready to close up and be done for the day, there sits Billy right up until 5:00 on the dot.

I made a policy a while back stating that if you have the day off, you can't be the first to arrive and the last to pick up. You can still bring your kid for the whole day but you just can't stretch it out like that because its always "that" kid then that stops you (the provider) from getting any relief or being able to get off early once in a blue moon.

Hopefully, she'll chime in and clarify for us.
midaycare 12:48 PM 12-17-2014
...we (Spud, me and a few others) had this convo before ...that's why I think she specifically asked me about it.

I don't think she is saying she opens EARLIER than normal...I think she is saying why get up early at all if a family that is coming, isn't going into work....thus not really needing to be there her regular hours.....(see bolded above)

It just seems that it's always the way things go. Billy is here from 7-5....all of your available hours. Which is normally not an issue but on the rare day that Billy's mom isn't working, there is no need for him to be there the entire 7-5 time frame because at the end of the day when you (the provider) are MORE than ready to close up and be done for the day, there sits Billy right up until 5:00 on the dot.

I made a policy a while back stating that if you have the day off, you can't be the first to arrive and the last to pick up. You can still bring your kid for the whole day but you just can't stretch it out like that because its always "that" kid then that stops you (the provider) from getting any relief or being able to get off early once in a blue moon.

That makes a lot of sense.
spud912 02:55 PM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I think you can state it however you want, but enforcing it would be another thing.

Personally, I don't care what parents are doing with the time they buy from me, much like Meeko. I appreciate having a job I like, so I try not to get so concerned with the ins and outs of every single thing.

I'm pretty relaxed though. I've never charged a late fee (and I don't have an issue with lateness, but it happens on occasion), I let parents come early when they need to - within business hours, I'm just really flexible.

I just had a parent this week take a "mental health" day while dropping dcb off. I thought it was great! We all need a break now and then.

I think you can try to enforce it, but then dcf's would just lie about where they are.
Well this is how I am . . . I am very flexible...aka lenient. The main issue I have with it is the morning time because it's a matter of my daughter riding the school bus or not. I have one family who drops off at open and their son is the only one for the first 30 minutes. If they drop off 30 minutes later than normal on their day off, then I can drive her to school instead. I'm ok with her riding the bus; but if possible, I like to drive her if they don't really need to drop off so early.
spud912 02:58 PM 12-17-2014

Yes, this exactly .
midaycare 03:18 PM 12-17-2014
Well this is how I am . . . I am very flexible...aka lenient. The main issue I have with it is the morning time because it's a matter of my daughter riding the school bus or not. I have one family who drops off at open and their son is the only one for the first 30 minutes. If they drop off 30 minutes later than normal on their day off, then I can drive her to school instead. I'm ok with her riding the bus; but if possible, I like to drive her if they don't really need to drop off so early.
I totally get this - I have 1.5 hours between my first and second drop offs 3 days a week. If I didn't have the first drop off, I could drive DS to school.
Indoorvoice 06:30 PM 12-17-2014
Could you just have a conversation with the offender? You could just say, "look, I would really appreciate it if on the days you don't work if you could come at xx:00 and pick up at xx:00 instead of coming open to close since you aren't needing the time for your commute.I need to be able to take my daughter to school on those days. Thanks for understanding!"
Play Care 03:15 AM 12-18-2014
If he's the *only* child there, I would totally change your hours and not give them the option of bringing him at the earlier time.
"Dear Parents, As of Jan 1 I will be changing my hours of operation from x to x time. I will not accept any child into care until x time (the new time) Thank you all for your understanding!"
This way you don't have to sweat the "will they or won't they" business that we are all familiar with
Blackcat31 06:03 AM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
If he's the *only* child there, I would totally change your hours and not give them the option of bringing him at the earlier time.
"Dear Parents, As of Jan 1 I will be changing my hours of operation from x to x time. I will not accept any child into care until x time (the new time) Thank you all for your understanding!"
This way you don't have to sweat the "will they or won't they" business that we are all familiar with
This child attends regularly during her NORMAL business hours when the parent is working, so it's not a matter of changing her business hours.

Spud is only looking for a way to tell the mom that she wants her to not bring her child AS NORMALLY scheduled on the days the mom is not working.

That would allow Spud's DD to not have to ride the bus on just that particular day and be able to be driven to school by Mama (Spud).

So she isn't needing to change her hours, she just wants the mom to drop off later on the days DCM isn't actually going to work.

Which in that case, I would do as altandra said, and just outright tell mom that she needs to drop off later on her non-working days.
spud912 06:33 AM 12-18-2014
This child attends regularly during her NORMAL business hours when the parent is working, so it's not a matter of changing her business hours.

Spud is only looking for a way to tell the mom that she wants her to not bring her child AS NORMALLY scheduled on the days the mom is not working.

That would allow Spud's DD to not have to ride the bus on just that particular day and be able to be driven to school by Mama (Spud).

So she isn't needing to change her hours, she just wants the mom to drop off later on the days DCM isn't actually going to work.

Which in that case, I would do as altandra said, and just outright tell mom that she needs to drop off later on her non-working days.
Yes, this is the situation. I don't want to change my hours because then I would lose them as a client. I really don't mind opening up shop at that time, just would prefer not to if they are not working....kwim?

The main reason I haven't talked to them already is this particular family doesn't always get what I am trying to say. The last time I asked them to let me know if they are running 30 minutes or more late in the morning, they took it as "drop him off first thing in the morning everyday no matter what." When I told them that their child can come and go whenever, but I only allot 5 unpaid days per year, they took it as "he has to come everyday we are off unless it is those 5 unpaid days." They are good people and follow the policies (when they understand them), so I don't want it to seem like I'm complaining about them per se.

I figured that I might as well just make it clear in the policies that if they are not working, then drop off can't be first thing in the morning. Also, I have a separate family whose child is the only one here for the last 30 minutes. The dcg tends to really really miss her mommy those last 30 minutes and can be seen staring out the window the entire time, regardless of my distractions. If her mom isn't working, I think it would be nice (for her sake) for an early pick-up.
Tags:contracted hours
Reply Up