Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>19mo Aggression
mamamanda 06:07 AM 09-02-2015
I have a very sweet 19 mo who has been an absolute sweet heart until about 2 weeks ago. She suddenly is hitting, scratching, pushing, & yanking toys out of kids' hands. Its everyone from the 12 mo up to the 5 year old so its not an intimidation thing. It's not ever provoked either. Just I'm smiling at you one minute & attacking the next. Which makes it hard to prevent even if I'm sitting right with her. There's just no warning. How do you discipline for this at such a young age. I would typically say yanking a toy out of someone's hand would result in loss of privileges with that toy for the day, but I fear she's too little to remember why she can't play with it a few minutes later.
Play Care 10:52 AM 09-02-2015
What I've been doing with my 16 month old guy is making sure I'm between him and the other kids all the time. Same thing with being sometimes no rhyme or reason why he's hitting, pinching, etc. I think he's just figured out he can do these things and is trying it out.

If I can't be right with him, he has to be "put up" either in the gated play yard (not PNP, bigger) or the buckled in his booster seat. While I try to make it positive, he may not like it. That's okay because a little crying while I change a diaper or use the bathroom is better than having to tell another parent why their child has teeth marks
Lots of modeling gentle touch and praising gentle touch. I don't know what else you can do.
BabyMonkeys 12:38 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
If I can't be right with him, he has to be "put up" either in the gated play yard (not PNP, bigger) or the buckled in his booster seat. While I try to make it positive, he may not like it. That's okay because a little crying while I change a diaper or use the bathroom is better than having to tell another parent why their child has teeth marks
Lots of modeling gentle touch and praising gentle touch. I don't know what else you can do.
I have one that has been my shadow for weeks now because he can't be trusted not to bite. It started around 17-18m I think. At this age there really isn't much you can do as far as discipline.
Reply Up