Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Family Forgets Checkbook 4X
HHdaycare12 11:10 PM 11-20-2015
Hello I need some help with enforcing my late payment fees. I have all part time families. Today is payday and 3/4 parents did not pay. One child out sick- Ok, let that slide until Monday. 2nd child's mother claimed her checkbook was in the child's backpack and it must have gotten lost here- she will pay Monday. That family has only paid late one other time. However, my biggest issue is the newest family. They have been here a month and forget the checkbook or write the check incorrectly each week. First week dcd wrote my name and amount on the wrong lines. This took until Tuesday to get a correct check. The following week dcm left checkbook at her office which was locked until Monday. Was paid Monday. The third week dcm picked up Friday night and NEVER mentioned she did not pay. After she left I went to payment box and it was empty. I e-mailed dcm she replied with, "I forgot until I was driving home." Was again paid Monday. I removed payment box and now require parents pay me directly. Now it is week #4 and upon dcm attempting to leave my home I asked for payment. Dcm forgot checkbook again. My contract is specific with late fees and payments are due the Friday before the week of care. I have never enforced this policy but this is clear it needs to be corrected ASAP. My problem is how do I actually enforce the late fee? E-mail notification? Sign posted? How can I enforce without shaming the parents? Thank you for any advice you can give and sorry for all the rambling I am just so beyond frustrated.
Michael 12:13 AM 11-21-2015
Here are some threads on late payment fees, letters and policy: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...te+payment+fee

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...payment+letter

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...payment+policy
Josiegirl 02:49 AM 11-21-2015
You're worried about shaming the parents? I'll bet they're not ashamed of leaving you without money.
Is a late payment fee written into your contract? If so, then I would send a letter home to everybody, stating 'as of 11/ /2015, I WILL be enforcing late fees as per my contract.' Then as a reminder you could rewrite exactly what you state in your contract because you know most of them either didn't read it or skimmed over it, thinking 'you can't possibly mean me??! Period. End of story. Then you have to do it. Give them a bill and refuse care until all payment is made. Right now, they know they don't have to because of the pattern that has developed.
childcaremom 04:08 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You're worried about shaming the parents? I'll bet they're not ashamed of leaving you without money.
Is a late payment fee written into your contract? If so, then I would send a letter home to everybody, stating 'as of 11/ /2015, I WILL be enforcing late fees as per my contract.' Then as a reminder you could rewrite exactly what you state in your contract because you know most of them either didn't read it or skimmed over it, thinking 'you can't possibly mean me??! Period. End of story. Then you have to do it. Give them a bill and refuse care until all payment is made. Right now, they know they don't have to because of the pattern that has developed.

You need to enforce your late fee. That will stop the shenanigans.

I have late fee forms. Shows what they owe and when it is due by. I just automatically stick it in child's folder and parents put payment in there on return. If there is no late fee, then child does not come in. Simple as that. There is no 'shaming'. It is just a fact. They were late paying, here is the fee.
HHdaycare12 04:59 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

You need to enforce your late fee. That will stop the shenanigans.

I have late fee forms. Shows what they owe and when it is due by. I just automatically stick it in child's folder and parents put payment in there on return. If there is no late fee, then child does not come in. Simple as that. There is no 'shaming'. It is just a fact. They were late paying, here is the fee.
Thank you. I do not currently have folders that go back and forth from here to home. I will begin this week.
HHdaycare12 05:01 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You are right. I shouldn't be so concerned with their feelings when its apparent they are not worried about mine. This needs to be nipped in the bud now as it should have been from day 1. They will be getting a letter and a fee. I appreciate your input, thanks!
snbauser 09:23 AM 11-21-2015
I agree with the others. Put a note out on Monday that says effective immediately late fees will be assessed per contract. Then charge them. When they tell you they "forgot" on Friday, remind them that payement needs to be dropped off by xx time or a late fee will apply. They can go get the checkbook and come back, go to the bank and get cash, or pay the late fee.
daycarediva 09:42 AM 11-21-2015
Parents here have two options, pay Friday (or last day in attendance that week) for their regular dollar amount OR pay Monday AT drop off plus $50.
Snowmom 10:36 AM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Parents here have two options, pay Friday (or last day in attendance that week) for their regular dollar amount OR pay Monday AT drop off plus $50.

Next Friday, put a BIG smile on your face.

"You don't have your checkbook today? No problem; Monday you can write your check for $150 for the week plus $50 for the late fee"
(I would even have an invoice book or invoice slips by my entryway and write the $200 total and hand it to them while talking)
"Oh, you don't have the extra $50? No problem, I'm here until 5:30 tonight if you prefer to avoid the late fees".

If they give you grief Monday about forgetting the checkbook again, DO NOT TAKE THE CHILD.
I repeat. DO NOT TAKE THE CHILD.

It's SO hard to do it the first time. But, after the first time you enforce your rules, it gets so much easier when/if you have to do it again.
Silly Songs 01:31 PM 11-21-2015
I was thinking of another way. For families who consistently "forget" the check, can you give them the option of leaving you a post dated check on Monday and you won't deposit it until Friday? That would help them with the late fees and you have your check on time .
Crazy8 05:07 PM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

"You don't have your checkbook today? No problem; Monday you can write your check for $150 for the week plus $50 for the late fee"
(I would even have an invoice book or invoice slips by my entryway and write the $200 total and hand it to them while talking)
"Oh, you don't have the extra $50? No problem, I'm here until 5:30 tonight if you prefer to avoid the late fees".

If they give you grief Monday about forgetting the checkbook again, DO NOT TAKE THE CHILD.

It's SO hard to do it the first time. But, after the first time you enforce your rules, it gets so much easier when/if you have to do it again.
This! I know for me its hard to be confrontational but once you do it once it gets easier (and for many after paying the late fees once they seem to magically remember it each week going forward). Make your late fees steep - make them go thru the weekend. I have allowed parents to drop off Sat. mornings (leaving it in my mail slot) - therefore only paying one nights late fee vs. 3.

As for shaming them, I wouldn't care - I use my parents only FB page for communicating and would have no problem stating that this has become an ongoing problem and this week 3 out of 4 families did not pay on time. I think sometimes they think you'll be fine with just their payment missing, but when they realize "ut-oh, no one paid her on time" they get a little more mindful, that has been my experience at least (I have good parents, but did have this issue once).
HHdaycare12 05:29 PM 11-21-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

I Love this. What a great idea to have a parents only fb page. That will help in many aspects for communications. Not to mention how all parents want constant updates and pictures etc. I can go to one place and be done with it. Thank you
rosieteddy 09:09 AM 11-23-2015
When I ran into this problem I changed the payment schedule.Effective immediately all tuition will be paid monthly.I will except checks Friday November 27th along with all of December checks(4).Late fees will apply if not handed in on time.I would list your name as you need it on the checks and the dates. I would charge a hefty fee if all checks are not written out and on time.It is not fair for you to be unpaid,we have bills to .Good luck.
Preschool/daycare teacher 08:59 PM 11-23-2015
I was running into that problem (when I had the parents paying on the child's last day of attendance) of "forgetting" it's pay day, or forgetting their check and since they live in the next town over, I knew they couldn't just run home and bring it back that evening very easily. So I changed the policy to paying it on the child's first day of attendance each week at drop off. If they don't pay, I won't let the child stay. So far just letting them know I won't accept their child into care without the payment seems to be working. They haven't "forgotten to pay" yet... maybe it would work for you to change pay day to drop off on the child's first day each week? If they are late for work because of having to go back home to get the money, it may "help" them remember better the next time than just having to pay a little extra money for the late fee?
Play Care 05:30 AM 11-24-2015
I'd "forget" to unlock the door when they showed up.
lovemydaycare0912 01:06 PM 12-02-2015
Yes everyone has posted great responses. I agree, be firm now. I have never had major issues with parents paying me. One time, I had a parent on subsidy that asked if she could pay Monday instead of Friday because she was going out of town. I told her that was fine just make sure even if dcb doesn't come in, to still please drop off payment. Monday comes, she doesn't come in, doesn't call, nothing. So I politely call and I get no response. Tuesday comes in and she gives her story and asks what the late fee is? I told her $20 and I would need it by end of day. She made a face, and asked if I was serious. I told her yes, I okayed until Monday, not Tuesday. No phonecall was made letting me know she wasn't back in town, etc so late fee had to be enforced.

Long story short, she paid me tuition PLUS late fee and was NEVER late again. She now respects me so much more and is always on top of everything. She is probably one of my favorite parents, even though things started out a little rough. Stand your grown.
Hunni Bee 11:20 AM 12-04-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'd "forget" to unlock the door when they showed up.
That's what I was going to say. I have always kept my checkbook in my purse. I call bs. They just want to hold onto the cash til after the weekend.
Tags:late payment fee, late payment letter, late payment policy
Reply Up