Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Locking Door Dilemma
Josiegirl 04:31 AM 03-02-2017
Awhile back 2 of my 3 yos opened the front door to let someone in. We were expecting the library reader but this wasn't her. I was right around the corner making lunch. So right away I installed a chain guard out of reach of the little kids. New regs. say in case of emergency doors can't be locked in a way to prevent getting out. So what do I need to do to comply with this? My door locks from the inside doorknob and all we have to do is turn the knob and we can get out but it stays locked on the outside(which was the original problem with them opening the door).
So if something happened to me in an emergency and I couldn't get to the door.....???
Any advice is appreciated!!
childcaremom 04:43 AM 03-02-2017
Can you gate off the area to the door so the dcks can't go to it?

Are their special doorknobs that would unlock automatically if turned from the inside?
Pestle 05:23 AM 03-02-2017
My day care area is gated off but I've had three kids, all aged three, bust open/knock down/scale the gate, run to the door, and *try* to fling it open, only to be stopped by the chain lock. If this rule ends up applied to TN, I'll have to call for immediate pick up and discuss termination if any of my kids make a run for it. But honestly, it's the kids who smash up my house and try to make a run for it, all alone in an unfamiliar neighborhood, who I'd be okay with not working with any more. Those are the ones whose executive function/ability to think ahead is seriously lagging behind their motor skills.

Except. . . one of those three was actually mine.
MissAnn 05:50 AM 03-02-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Awhile back 2 of my 3 yos opened the front door to let someone in. We were expecting the library reader but this wasn't her. I was right around the corner making lunch. So right away I installed a chain guard out of reach of the little kids. New regs. say in case of emergency doors can't be locked in a way to prevent getting out. So what do I need to do to comply with this? My door locks from the inside doorknob and all we have to do is turn the knob and we can get out but it stays locked on the outside(which was the original problem with them opening the door).
So if something happened to me in an emergency and I couldn't get to the door.....???
Any advice is appreciated!!
Same thing here. I had to buy 2 new doorknobs. I have an alarm over my door so when it opens I hear an alarm. I've never had a kid open the door EXCEPT when their parent is here....and I get on to them royally! YOU are NOT to touch the doorknob! Only grownups!
Sumshine 06:09 AM 03-02-2017
I would suggest what PP is saying with the door alarms. Not only will the sound startle the kiddos but it will immediately alert you to what they are up to should they creep away while you're doing dishes or see someone and try to let them in!

You don't have to have a full-on security system. Walmart sells the 3 pack of door alarms for around $40 if I recall correctly

I also agree make it very well known that kids are not to touch the door! I have a DCB who likes to open the door and try to walk out while mom is getting his brother geared up to go home. Mom lets him totally run the show and just giggles and says "Wait up!" If I happen to be near the entryway at the time I will scold him and tell him that he's not to touch the door and to get back inside until they're all ready to leave! Drives me nuts but I'm usually downstairs with the others when they gets picked up. This is the same mom who lets the 1.5 yo younget brother open my Gates and run upstairs to my non daycare area! All the lights are off and he comes back quick but it's still annoying. I don't allow any of the kids to touch doors or gates and this is why!
Baby Beluga 07:45 AM 03-02-2017
I have those alarms on all of my doors - they are great There is a chime sound and an alarm sound.

I also have a rug near the front door. NO ONE is to go on this rug unless they are with me or a parent. It has helped to set boundaries.
Pestle 07:50 AM 03-02-2017
How do you deal with pick ups while infants are sleeping? Won't that wake them up?

My problem hasn't been not realizing the kids were on the loose--it's been the same kids who break free and tear off during pick up. It's the issue of "I may never catch you once you're outside and now the kids in the house are unattended."

Moat?
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 03-02-2017
From day one, kids are taught that NO ONE touches a door knob except adults. Ever.

Consistent firm redirection and a consequence if necessary but NO ONE under voting age touches my door knobs.

I have parents reaffirm this rule at pick up and drop off and if they don't.....I have a stern talking with them as it is a safety rule and no one breaks my safety rules without some sort of consequence.
sharlan 09:34 AM 03-02-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
From day one, kids are taught that NO ONE touches a door knob except adults. Ever.

Consistent firm redirection and a consequence if necessary but NO ONE under voting age touches my door knobs.

I have parents reaffirm this rule at pick up and drop off and if they don't.....I have a stern talking with them as it is a safety rule and no one breaks my safety rules without some sort of consequence.
I am with BC. From day one parents and children are taught that NO ONE is allowed to touch the door knob unless they are an adult. I will stop a parent very quickly that tells a child to open the door.

Even my 7 yos wait for me to open the door before we leave for school or a parent picks up.
Baby Beluga 09:35 AM 03-02-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
How do you deal with pick ups while infants are sleeping? Won't that wake them up?

My problem hasn't been not realizing the kids were on the loose--it's been the same kids who break free and tear off during pick up. It's the issue of "I may never catch you once you're outside and now the kids in the house are unattended."

Moat?
I don't take infants (but will have my own soon so we'll see how the chimes effect his sleeping) but I will say I have opened the classroom door for a delivery person during nap time before and the children don't stir. I think it's a combination of the chimes being an everyday sound for them, the sound machine I play while sleeping, and I am not quiet during nap anyway. My littles are so used to noise I have actually vacuumed the room before and no one has woken up
Josiegirl 10:28 AM 03-02-2017
These door alarms....can you turn them off when not needed?

I have failed as a dcprovider. Some of my dcks race to the door to see who can be first. I'm going to need to deprogram and reteach this whole thing. And we know how easy that will be.
There's really no way I can block off the front door.
Baby Beluga 11:16 AM 03-02-2017
These door alarms....can you turn them off when not needed?

I have failed as a dcprovider. Some of my dcks race to the door to see who can be first. I'm going to need to deprogram and reteach this whole thing. And we know how easy that will be.
There's really no way I can block off the front door.
Yes, absolutely.

These are the ones I have. One part sticks to the door frame and one part sticks to the actual door. There is a slide button where you can set it to "chime" "alarm" or "off." Really they could be placed on any doors. Exterior or interior.

I have them on my front door, patio door and laundry room door leading into the garage.

Would a rug in front of the door work? Or maybe a simple piece of tape and teach them to not cross the line?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-45115-...s-2pk/16561504
Mom2Two 12:55 PM 03-02-2017
I'm starting to wonder if I'm remembering our regs right: I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to keep our doors locked. And I think we're more in danger of who might enter that from us getting out.

But I do have child knobs on my doors, but darn those four and five year olds--they do seem to learn how to work past them.
daycare 01:02 PM 03-02-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Ditto,. I have a large license in CA. Our fire marshal in my county requires that the door is always UNlocked from the inside and has a door handle called an emergency egress lock. This means it can open no matter if a child pushes the handle up or down. the door MUST remain unlocked at all times during my business hours.

I have one of those door alarms I bought for about $6.00 at home depot. It is always on as soon as the last kid arrives. Just like BC, all of my kids are taught NO touching the door, only teachers and adults.

HOWEVER, I do teach and make certain that the kids could open it in the event there was an emergency.

Also, we can not have any gates or any kind of items blocking the door ever. We can not even have pictures on the back of the door. The door must remain fully uncovered so that the children can quickly identify that is the door, that is the way out.

I have only ever had one kid open the door and when the alarm when off it scared him so bad I think he poop his pants. Yes, I know that it is not cool or funny, but he never did it again.

I live on a pretty busy street. I do have a note near the front door that says DO NOT LET ANY CHILD OPEN THIS DOOR.
I do explain this rule to the parents. Sadly, I have to teach them over and over sometimes. They will let their child open the door if they are there and another family has arrived. NO is always NO. NEVER ok, I don't care if God himself is standing right there, children are NOT allowed to open the door....
Pandaluver21 07:26 PM 03-02-2017
We teach that no kids are allowed to open the door, and give consequences if they do. We also have childproof doorknob covers.
daycare 10:38 PM 03-02-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
We teach that no kids are allowed to open the door, and give consequences if they do. We also have childproof doorknob covers.
If you have that on the door, then how will kids get out of there, if there was a fire or such? What if something happens to you during that emergency and you can't help he kids open the floor? Everyone stays trapped inside ?
Josiegirl 01:42 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
If you have that on the door, then how will kids get out of there, if there was a fire or such? What if something happens to you during that emergency and you can't help he kids open the floor? Everyone stays trapped inside ?
That was exactly my concern. Chances are low, sure. But we need to think of every scenario. The Fire Dept. inspected the other day and I asked them if they had any suggestions and they didn't have any answers.
LysesKids 07:59 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have those alarms on all of my doors - they are great There is a chime sound and an alarm sound.

I also have a rug near the front door. NO ONE is to go on this rug unless they are with me or a parent. It has helped to set boundaries.
Oh believe me I had these alarms on all my old house doors and loved them ... now that the kiddies age out @ age 18 months I don't need them for the most part & I know when parents are coming because my doorbell sounds on the phone & in the hallway (Ring system)
Baby Beluga 08:23 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Oh believe me I had these alarms on all my old house doors and loved them ... now that the kiddies age out @ age 18 months I don't need them for the most part & I know when parents are coming because my doorbell sounds on the phone & in the hallway (Ring system)
I SO want to purchase a ring system. I have an intercom through the doorbell where I can speak to whoever is outside and they can speak to me but it's old school technology and doesn't have the ability for me to see who is outside.
Pestle 08:49 AM 03-03-2017
See, there's problems with both approaches.

Door inaccessible. Potential for children to die horribly in a fire or other emergency: very slim. Consequences: Max horrible.

Door accessible. Potential for children to bolt out the door and into the neighborhood: very high. Consequences: Medium horrible.
LysesKids 09:18 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I SO want to purchase a ring system. I have an intercom through the doorbell where I can speak to whoever is outside and they can speak to me but it's old school technology and doesn't have the ability for me to see who is outside.
They sell them @ Best buy & Lowe's so I took advantage of the 5% rewards on my BB card... I bought the extra chime too because my phone doesn't always sound depending on where I am in the house. My next investment is a camera for the back door lol. My families love the fact I know they are here before the gate on the deck opens
daycarediva 09:41 AM 03-03-2017
See, there's problems with both approaches.

Door inaccessible. Potential for children to die horribly in a fire or other emergency: very slim. Consequences: Max horrible.

Door accessible. Potential for children to bolt out the door and into the neighborhood: very high. Consequences: Medium horrible.
and if the door is inaccessible to the children, *I* would also have to be. Which would NOT happen. So....

Kids are taught (and re taught, thanks to parents) to NEVER touch the door. I have the alarms that everyone has mentioned, and it stays unlocked, per state guidelines.
Pestle 09:52 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
and if the door is inaccessible to the children, *I* would also have to be. Which would NOT happen. So....

Kids are taught (and re taught, thanks to parents) to NEVER touch the door. I have the alarms that everyone has mentioned, and it stays unlocked, per state guidelines.
So have you terminated care over this? Since tearing off at a frantic run is standard behavior for some kids with behavioral issues and a lack of parental reinforcement.
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 03-03-2017
So have you terminated care over this? Since tearing off at a frantic run is standard behavior for some kids with behavioral issues and a lack of parental reinforcement.
Absolutely!

ANY behavior that is a safety issue and is not rectified by the parent IMMEDIATELY would result in termination.

I have specific expectations for parents and they MUST abide by those expectations (controlling their child) and if they can't do that, then I am not the right fit for them.

I refuse to let a lack of parental action risk my livelihood.

ETA: In 2.5 decades of child care, I've had ONE child run off recklessly.... they were termed the next day when child attempted to re-enact the same behavior and parent did nothing.
daycarediva 10:56 AM 03-03-2017
Nope, but only because I am STERN about safety rules. We don't have many rules (as a whole, as long as it doesn't hurt property or people) but I have almost an entire crew of kids who run the show at home. Limits are tested when parents are here, almost daily with some. It is a lot of kid reminders and TELLING parents what I expect.

My daycare entry also leads directly into a fenced, gated (with an auto latch) area.
daycare 05:05 AM 03-04-2017
my husband worked as a firefighter for many years and told me stories of how many time parents/ adults couldn't get to their child and the child would be trapped inside because they lock the doors or their windows.
Just food for thought. Not trying to start a debate.
Josiegirl 06:24 AM 03-04-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
my husband worked as a firefighter for many years and told me stories of how many time parents/ adults couldn't get to their child and the child would be trapped inside because they lock the doors or their windows.
Just food for thought. Not trying to start a debate.
So....an alarm is the way to go?? Especially if one has untrained lil heathens like I do?
daycare 09:26 AM 03-04-2017
So....an alarm is the way to go?? Especially if one has untrained lil heathens like I do?
If your state requires it remain unlocked then I would get the door alarm. Trust me when I tell you. A child only needs to try and open it one time and they will never do it again. The sound is so loud is scares me.

In my state I also can not have a top lock. Only single locking door handle. It has to open in one motion. ..
renodeb 02:28 PM 03-09-2017
My house is designed so that I have a gate blocking the front door, the door is always unlocked during business hours. I can see out the front very well because my dc space faces the street.
Deb
hwichlaz 03:45 PM 03-09-2017
I lock the front door because most of the children I care for are too young to escape by themselves. The older kids, can unlock it. I have an evacuation crib that I put them all in together and push out the door in an emergency.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:11 AM 03-13-2017
I am finding this an interesting topic because I am getting a new door in my playroom... sometime this month. I have an OLD sliding door that is a bear to open so the kids don't.... some parents don't. But this is how they do go in and out. I am getting a new sliding door. I am thinking I am going to have to keep it locked because it will be easy to open.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:17 AM 03-13-2017
I am finding this an interesting topic because I am getting a new door in my playroom... sometime this month. I have an OLD sliding door that is a bear to open so the kids don't.... some parents don't. But this is how they do go in and out. I am getting a new sliding door. I am thinking I am going to have to keep it locked because it will be easy to open. But we are also redoing the dog fence area and will be making the house back door accessible to my daycare parents. I am thinking we will use that door to enter and exit- it goes onto my back porch and in to my kitchen. So we will no longer be entering into the playroom. So, the playroom door can remain locked. Since I have 3 other doors into/ out of my house, I don't see an issue with it being locked. My front door is always locked because if someone would enter I wouldn't know it! Now ya all have me thinking about my locks... May have to check out new door locks so they don't have to be "unlocked" to get out but are locked from the outside.
Reply Up