Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Private Daycare ?'s
Unregistered 07:38 AM 02-21-2018
In KS can I run a private daycare. Can I get into legal trouble if someone reports me of having a private daycare in my home. Thank you!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In KS can I run a private daycare. Can I get into legal trouble if someone reports me of having a private daycare in my home. Thank you!
What do you mean by private?

Are you referring to licensed through the state verses not licensed?

If so you can find out if you are legally required to be licensed here: https://www.daycare.com/kansas/
Unregistered 07:54 AM 02-21-2018
Yes exactly, I'v been looking at my options and read about people who don't renew their license and have what they call it a private daycare- unregistered. Do I have to get a license first for a year than I can have a private daycare. I plan on taking classes every year but not register with the state if possible.
storybookending 08:05 AM 02-21-2018
Yes exactly, I'v been looking at my options and read about people who don't renew their license and have what they call it a private daycare- unregistered. Do I have to get a license first for a year than I can have a private daycare. I plan on taking classes every year but not register with the state if possible.
From the link BC posted it appears that in your state you can only have two children that are unrelated to you if you do not wish to be licensed by the state. So yes you could run a daycare with only 2 children without being licensed prior. Any more than that and you would be considered illegal.
Unregistered 08:19 AM 02-21-2018
Okay thanks, I know of someone here who isn't licensed with like 6 kids and just sits outside and smokes all day while kids attend to themselves this is what her neighbor told me ..how is it possible that she's been getting away with it for years. It's crazy!
storybookending 08:36 AM 02-21-2018
Okay thanks, I know of someone here who isn't licensed with like 6 kids and just sits outside and smokes all day while kids attend to themselves this is what her neighbor told me ..how is it possible that she's been getting away with it for years. It's crazy!
It happens more often than you think. I’ll paraphrase a quote told to me by a woman that works in the state office. she basically said “we know there’s people out there running illegal daycares, some great programs and some not so great. We don’t have the time, staffing or resources to investigate everything”. Basically they’ll only investigate if there is a complaint but they can only do so much as they can’t do anything if the provider doesn’t answer the door or claims all the children are related. It is up to the parents in this case to be proactive and know who is watching their children and how they spend their days.
Tags:illegal daycare, legally unlicensed
Reply Up