Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Play Kitchen?
Play Care 10:38 AM 12-09-2015
We purchased the current play kitchen when my own kids were young toddlers. They're now 9 & 10
The kitchen is fine, it's a nice Step 2. But it's got lots of parts - drawers and shelves that come out, a couple of removable bins, stickers, etc. you can guess what the littles do...

I feel that no one really plays with it, just take it apart or try to climb on it (though I think we finally nipped that business in the bud )

Rcently I had a grant and debated replacing the play kitchen with a wooden one. I went back and forth because they are so expensive and I would hate to spend that kind of money and have it take up room and no one play with it. But maybe they'd be more inclined to play with a newer kitchen especially if it's a bit bigger than what we have (more room, making it seem more real and less toy like?) I wound up not buying it but seriously considering it if another grant opportunity arises.
Any thoughts? Would you consider it?
Annalee 10:47 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
We purchased the current play kitchen when my own kids were young toddlers. They're now 9 & 10
The kitchen is fine, it's a nice Step 2. But it's got lots of parts - drawers and shelves that come out, a couple of removable bins, stickers, etc. you can guess what the littles do...

I feel that no one really plays with it, just take it apart or try to climb on it (though I think we finally nipped that business in the bud )

Rcently I had a grant and debated replacing the play kitchen with a wooden one. I went back and forth because they are so expensive and I would hate to spend that kind of money and have it take up room and no one play with it. But maybe they'd be more inclined to play with a newer kitchen especially if it's a bit bigger than what we have (more room, making it seem more real and less toy like?) I wound up not buying it but seriously considering it if another grant opportunity arises.
Any thoughts? Would you consider it?
Maybe if you just took the kitchen out for a while. Sometimes kids just need a change....then when you put it back a few months later it will be like new???
momofsix 10:48 AM 12-09-2015
I have the little tykes country kitchen (also very old) and another smaller little tykes kitchen outside. The kitchens are my most played with thing I own by far. There is always at least one, and usually more kids playing with it.
Mine were not expensive-both garage sale actually. If I had a big chunk of money I'd probably invest in something where the higher cost=higher use, and for me the kitchen wouldn't be it. Since you need a new one anyhow it could be worth it for you though.
Play Care 10:52 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Maybe if you just took the kitchen out for a while. Sometimes kids just need a change....then when you put it back a few months later it will be like new???
I don't know why I'd didn't think of this!

I guess I always feel like the play kitchen is a "staple" day care item
But I may just do that.
Thriftylady 10:54 AM 12-09-2015

But I may just do that.
Do you have something you could switch it with to be your staple? Maybe make up something like a coffee shop or vet office or something? You know still something to play with but not a kitchen.
Annalee 10:55 AM 12-09-2015

But I may just do that.

Michael 11:15 AM 12-09-2015
More play kitchen threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=play+kitchen
childcaremom 12:24 PM 12-09-2015
I'm saving to buy one of the kitchens from Angels and Elves.

I had a wooden one and sold it when I closed. It turned out to be a temporary closure and I am kicking myself.

It was played with all the time. Loved it. The kids loved it. And it looked beautiful in the play room.

I have a plastic one now and the kids just try to climb in and out of the oven. (and it's ugly)

So yeah, I'd say go for it. If you decide you don't want it later on, the resale value is maintained in a wooden kitchen. (and they are heirloom items so will last long enough for grandkids - yes, it is probably a ways off but they do have a long life expectancy )
Rockgirl 12:30 PM 12-09-2015
I scored big time with mine. It's a nice wooden one that had been in a preschool classroom, and in great shape. $50 for three pieces: sink, stove, and hutch. It has to have been the best $50 I've spent for the daycare--it is used every day.
Tags:play kitchen
Reply Up