Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever After Nap... What Would You Do?
LittleScholars 12:07 PM 03-12-2019
I had a kiddo that wasn't feeling like himself today. He wanted to rest (not like him), but no other symptoms. Since it was odd I took his temp when he asked to rest and I took his temp as soon as he woke up (we woke him while getting the rest of the group ready for nap). It was 101.7. I called mom for pick up, he fell back asleep, and it was 101.4 when she arrived. Both times I had taken it the second he got off his mat. Typically I would have waited a bit, but I couldn't tell what was going on with him and didn't want him moving around and sharing germs.

When they arrived home it was 99. I do believe mom and feel sort of bad for sending him home, but he obviously needed the rest (it isn't normal for one of my kiddos to fall asleep before scheduled nap).

In terms of tomorrow, my policy would usually be to keep him home. Mom already has back up care secured. I feel a little guilty keeping him out for a low grade temperature, but he was out yesterday and there are so many things going around and don't want to needlessly risk exposing the other kids.

Stick to my policy, right?
LittleExplorers 12:13 PM 03-12-2019
Yes, stick to your policy. You have one for a reason.

storybookending 12:13 PM 03-12-2019
I would stick to your policy. Did you or mom give him any meds causing the fever to go down?
LittleScholars 12:14 PM 03-12-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Yes, stick to your policy. You have one for a reason.

I knowwwww. I feel slightly guilty because I know it is hard to keep kids home and I don't want to be ridiculous, but we had an actual case of the flu last month and I was glad I went with my gut and had the kiddo stay home an extended time.

Thank you!
e.j. 01:34 PM 03-12-2019
I had a dcg who spiked a 101 temp here. Her mom called the pediatrician and was able to get an appointment within the hour. When she got to the doctor, dcg's temp was 99. Both dcm and I felt a little silly for jumping the gun. Within a couple of hours, though, dcg's temp was right back up to 102. It went up and down for the next couple of days. Each time dcm thought her dd was getting better, the temp would spike back up. Stick by your policy. Dcb's temp may be right back up by dinner time!
Cat Herder 02:04 PM 03-12-2019
"The most common causes of low grade fever in children are viral infections like flu and common cold. Children tend to suffer from these infections quite often, probably because they spend a lot of time indoors with other children, for example in kindergarten and in school, so the chance of getting an infection is higher. Viral infections are particularly common in the winter season. Bacterial infections are another common cause for low grade fever, especially strep throat and sinus infections. Other possible causes for low grade fever in children include chickenpox, ear infections, bladder infections, rubella, mumps, measles, roseola, dengue fever, Coxsackie and the so-called "fifth disease" or erythema infectiosum."

Fever and lethargy is not something to ignore.

24 hours fever and symptom-free, a minimum of 48 hours after being sent home from daycare.
springv 02:52 PM 03-12-2019
Yes definitely stick to your policy
LittleScholars 10:04 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I had a dcg who spiked a 101 temp here. Her mom called the pediatrician and was able to get an appointment within the hour. When she got to the doctor, dcg's temp was 99. Both dcm and I felt a little silly for jumping the gun. Within a couple of hours, though, dcg's temp was right back up to 102. It went up and down for the next couple of days. Each time dcm thought her dd was getting better, the temp would spike back up. Stick by your policy. Dcb's temp may be right back up by dinner time!
This is exactly what I was thinking! It stayed lower, but lingered, which is still odd for this kiddo.
LittleScholars 10:15 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"The most common causes of low grade fever in children are viral infections like flu and common cold. Children tend to suffer from these infections quite often, probably because they spend a lot of time indoors with other children, for example in kindergarten and in school, so the chance of getting an infection is higher. Viral infections are particularly common in the winter season. Bacterial infections are another common cause for low grade fever, especially strep throat and sinus infections. Other possible causes for low grade fever in children include chickenpox, ear infections, bladder infections, rubella, mumps, measles, roseola, dengue fever, Coxsackie and the so-called "fifth disease" or erythema infectiosum."

Fever and lethargy is not something to ignore.

24 hours fever and symptom-free, a minimum of 48 hours after being sent home from daycare.
This is totally right. I felt sort of silly because it was RIGHT after nap, and I know that isn't ideal, but there was also a reason I was checking. Behavior had already been super off.
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 03-13-2019
Never feel guilty.

Also, am I the only one who reads this *erythema infectiosum* in Hermione Granger's voice?
LittleScholars 09:56 AM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Never feel guilty.

Also, am I the only one who reads this *erythema infectiosum* in Hermione Granger's voice?
This guy ended up being out for the rest of the week. TOTALLY the right call! Thanks for always letting me bounce these concerns off of you all!
AmyKidsCo 01:10 PM 03-20-2019
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
This guy ended up being out for the rest of the week. TOTALLY the right call! Thanks for always letting me bounce these concerns off of you all!
Every time I've bent my sick policy I've regretted it.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up