Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning During Daycare Hours...
Angelwings36 10:54 AM 05-18-2011
There is a recent post on here about providers personal day. I just have a question for the other providers on here. Do you clean up your home and keep up with your yard during daycare hours?

For instance...

When you get up in the morning do you tidy up any mess that might have been left from the night before?

Do you dust, vacuum or windex during free play?

Do you keep up with your laundy?

Do you pull weeds in your flower beds, water or cut grass while the kids are having free play outside?

Do you answer emails?

Do you cut out or prep anything for your crafts during free play?

Would love to hear from you...
lil angels 11:03 AM 05-18-2011
I do anything that is daycare realated during daycare if I can. Crafts, parent letters,cooking. I will do a little of my cleaning during nap time if I am able like folding clothes, scrub the bathroom. And I will also do the dishes realated to them during the day(load dishwasher so my son can put away after school) That way then I am not doing a tun of daycare things after the kids go home I work enough hrs as it is. I always do things with the kids close I don't go to another room or anything. But in short I guess yes I will try get things done during the day.
laundrymom 11:05 AM 05-18-2011
I must be in sight and sound due to accreditation guidelines, so I only do those things that require little to no attention,.. etc,.. I will pull weeds while playing with the kids, not a full bore weed session, but a handful at a time, I pick up poo every morning before work and before we play outside while the kids are in the "batters box", lol. I have them stay on the deck area while I walk around making sure there is no poo. , my guy goes once of a morning and before bed so its usually nothing. but I check each time. I load dishes and put them away while the kids are eating or after they go home, I run sweeper every morning at 7, every day when the kids are having snack after I pick up cots, and every moment the last day friend goes home. I also run it in the evenings if there is a mess. The only things I do when the kids are around is,... make lists,.. or something like that, I do wipe down the sink and toilet often through the day but thats when they are making it messy, and Im forever throwing things down the laundry chute. lol. I clean up messes as they are made and never do heavy cleaning when the kids are here. Unless my husband is here or my son and they are watching the daycare, example,... my son got spaghetti sauce ()a whole gallon from work) on his colts jersey and I scrubbed it in the tub while he stayed in the playroom with the kids. I have also had him stay in the house for 2-3 minutes if I have to grab something from the basement or camper (easy up, umbrella, sidewalk chalk, etc.) but hes almost 20, has tb, prints, cpr and everything same as me.

Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
There is a recent post on here about providers personal day. I just have a question for the other providers on here. Do you clean up your home and keep up with your yard during daycare hours?

For instance...

When you get up in the morning do you tidy up any mess that might have been left from the night before?

Do you dust, vacuum or windex during free play?

Do you keep up with your laundy?

Do you pull weeds in your flower beds, water or cut grass while the kids are having free play outside?

Do you answer emails?

Do you cut out or prep anything for your crafts during free play?

Would love to hear from you...

AnythingsPossible 11:06 AM 05-18-2011
Pretty much yes to all of these except for cutting the grass. In my opinion, everything you mentioned goes along with home daycare. Those things are all things that are done to keep up our homes. Oh, I don't do laundry during daycare hours except for towels, and bedding. No folding or sorting personal clothing.
A lot of the household upkeep I think are good for kids to see you doing and to help out with if they want to. I have had kids that want to use a dust rag, help pull weeds and use the hose to water plants. I just think it goes with the homedaycare environment. If a parent doesn't want those types of things going on, they should use a center. Consider the majority of us work a minimum of a 10 hour day, if we didn't do some of those things during work hours, we would work non-stop.
The only thing I feel guilty about doing is working on dinner stuff during daycare hours. But if the kids are engaged and I have prep stuff to do, I do it. Lately my son has been cooking dinner and I have had a few parents make comments about it being nice to be able to get stuff done early. Frankly even if I was cooking and not my son, it's my choice. If they want to work and cook dinner, they can start a daycare too!
Mom_of_two 11:18 AM 05-18-2011
I don't leave any mess the night before- I always have my house ready to go if it is a weekday. On weekends, I slack on this of course! It gives me less stress.

I do lunch dishes during nap- consider that part of the daycare job. I vacuum around the table after lunch.

I don't do any non-daycare related cleaning during the day. I feel like if I have my own agenda my work (time with kids) etc suffers- plus I can see myself wanting to do more and more (I am kind of all or nothing-haha), so I just don't. I kind of think of it like I am at work from 7-5. Though I will pick up dog poo as needed-lol.

I def do craft prep during free play, also daycare work. I would LOVE to do this all ahead (for the week or even month!) but haven't been motivated enough to do that, lol.

I do answer emails- with parents and other people, my blackberry is always with me, and I appreciate the adult contact. Keep phone to a minimum, though.
daycare 11:19 AM 05-18-2011
On mondays I wake at 530 to clean anything left from the night before. We always have a nice sunday dinner so there is usually stuff to clean up.

For the DC- the kids and i together dump all of the toys and make a game of it. We find all the cars and put them back in the car box and so on. If anything needs to be washed, I take it out and soak it in the sink while the kids are eating snack.

I will wipe down the shevles as we put the buckets of toys back on the shelves. then when we are done, we will do some kind of project that is minimal help from me. This way I can go through all of the paint/art supplies and weed out any trash.

When we eat lunch, I cont to wash and dry the toys that have been soaking, then put them away.

Out side play time I always have to sweep the sand back to the box. I have a lawn man so I dont have to do yard work.

during nap time I do my laundry

at PM snack I wash the lunch dishes

At 5pm daily I shut down all of the DC play areas and everyone cleans up to go home. Each child has a chore. then at the end of the week they get a toy from the treasure chest.

When everyone is done, they get to sit and read books until pick up, unless its friday then we get a movie.

While the kids are reading I vacuum and wipe down tables. Finish the last details...

DC is cleaned up by the time the last child leaves at 6
morgan24 11:29 AM 05-18-2011
Yes I clean during daycare hours, having my basement as my main daycare space, my living space stays clean. I clean the toys on a rotating basis while they are free playing, they usually end up helping. I do dishes after each meal and do laundry at nap time. I clean the bathroom everyday after the daycare closes. I weed when they are playing outside. On the weekend I vacuum and mop the daycare space. The only thing I don't do is lawn mowing.
busymomof2 12:09 PM 05-18-2011
I tidy as I go along with my day. I do my personal stuff (emails, folding clothes, etc) while the kids are here. However I try and keep the bulk of dc related chores before and after kids are here so I can count those extra hours towards my time/space percentage. Believe me that adds up and can make a HUGE difference for tax time. Just a thought.
DCMom 12:45 PM 05-18-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Yes I clean during daycare hours, having my basement as my main daycare space, my living space stays clean. I clean the toys on a rotating basis while they are free playing, they usually end up helping. I do dishes after each meal and do laundry at nap time. I clean the bathroom everyday after the daycare closes. I weed when they are playing outside. On the weekend I vacuum and mop the daycare space. The only thing I don't do is lawn mowing.
What she said! Sounds just like my house
SilverSabre25 12:48 PM 05-18-2011
I do what I can throughout the day. Almost the whole house is used by the daycare kids at some point, and I do my best to keep those areas clean. If the kiddos are playing and content, I do what i can. Or, I sit and read/knit/etc. Lately, I sit around hoping to go into labor...
nannyde 12:53 PM 05-18-2011
My goal is to get everything that can possibly be done when the kids are in the house and up.
Lucy 01:56 PM 05-18-2011
Yes to all 6 of your questions! Of course, I don't do all those everyday, but I do them during DC hours. My husband has to go to bed at 7:00 pm because he gets up so early for work, so I can't be vacuuming and banging dishes around. Not that I WANT to. I prefer getting it all done during DC hours.
grandmom 02:24 PM 05-18-2011
I do all of those things and more during daycare.

To me that is like asking a secretary if she put away the paper clips, and made copies, and printed the reports during her work day.

Of course it's all part of work, and I don't feel the least bit guilty about doing all the parts of my work during my work day.
sharlan 03:21 PM 05-18-2011
I do whatever needs to be done on a regular basis. I just work it around the kids needs/wants and activities. My husband is only working part-time right now, so he's generally here.

When I do my front yardwork, I set up orange cones on the sidewalk. The boys know that they aren't allowed past the cones on their bikes. In the back, they know to stay off the grass if I'm mowing.

I don't do major cleaning upstairs when I'm in charge.

(Right now, I'm only watching my 3 youngest grandkids - 3, 4, 5. The 4 yo lives here with his parents and sister. He knows that he's not allowed upstairs if Mommy isn't home.)
Childminder 05:56 PM 05-18-2011
I'm open 18 hours a day so I HAVE to do my cleaning, prep and book keeping with children here. Everything except mowing the lawn, I wouldn't risk that.
jen 06:49 PM 05-18-2011
I don't do yard work, but I don't do it ever, so that doesn't really count. I do laundry, but my laundry room is right off the playroom. I balance my check book and pay bills, the computer is in the playroom. I do the dishes after each meal, sweep up the sand that comes in every day! Whatever needs to be done, I do.

When daycare is done for the day, I want my home NOT to look like 8 kids have spent the day demolishing it! Although..the kids pick up the toys, not me!
PeanutsGalore 07:02 PM 05-18-2011
I don't do yardwork. That's not my job! I only help with the yard as need be, and that's in the form of taking some of my salary and hiring someone to cover whatever needs to be done on an emergency basis. If yardwork can be called an emergency...

I only do what has to be done during the day. Like today, the fride hasn't been cleaned for eons, so I cleaned inside and out. Yesterday, it was laundry; sometimes, I'll do a quick sweep and then sanitize the floors if someone forgets to take shoes off when they walk into the house.

What gets done everyday on a regular basis is keeping the kitchen clean, keeping the nursery/changing station/daycare closets clean, sanitized and organized, sweeping up after the kids and keeping toys/bottles/pacis clean and sanitized.
Lianne 08:13 PM 05-18-2011
I do anything and everything during childcare hours but only if I want to. Sometimes I don't want to do house/yardwork with the kids around so I wait til they're gone. I don't do everything everyday. Heck, I often don't do one thing in a day, lol. What I choose to do during daycare hours also depends on the group in my care that day. If I can trust them to play well, I can get more accomplished. On days I have young toddlers, chances are, I'm not going to get much extra accomplished.

My thoughts are that every job has it's perks and drawbacks. Some jobs get lots of vacation time, some have long hours, some get paid lunch breaks, some do not. A draw back to home daycare is there is no true lunch break. A perk to doing home daycare is that I can get house/yard work done while the kids are here.
rjskids 06:23 AM 05-19-2011
For just starting out also, I liked hearing how everyone else does it. I think of it this way...when I worked in a center there was work and clean up that had to be done before we closed at night. When that last child left we had to clock out and leave also so all cleaning (bathrooms, garbages, floors, dishes, laundry) had to be DONE before close and ready for the next day. Usually the late kids that were there till closing time knew this routine and loved to help with it. And vise versa for the morning. We had kids walk in the door right at 6 am and that is what time I had to clock in. So any opening procedures also had to be done while I had kids in tow. Just as we had to keep the center clean through out the day I also will have to keep my house clean.
Obviously places like our bedrooms, yard, major cleaning will be weekend chores like usual.
Here is my "plan". My DD has to get up at 6 to start getting ready for school. So that will be my morning cleaning time (sweeping floors, putting any dishes away, picking stuff up) and I will do this while I'm waiting for daycare kids to arrive. Any messes made during daycare will be cleaned up DURING daycare. Cause I agree...once my doors are closed I want it to by my family time. So as it gets close to closing and we are waiting for parents to pick up it will be "clean the basement" time. And I'm not a yardwork person but any doggie messes and watering of plants can also be done while kids are playing.
I just hope I can keep this up! haha! I'm such a procrastinator!!!
jojosmommy 10:52 AM 05-19-2011
I do what I can based on the group I have on a particular day. I just make the weekly rounds depending on what needs it most at any one time. If my group is more needy that day then I do little to nothing, if not then I throw in a load or wipe up something. I don't like cleaning for 2 hours after I get done with my already long day- that is my time with my family.
Tags:cleaning - during daycare
Reply Up