Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pneumonia....
Beach Baby 05:56 PM 05-02-2012
I was supposed to have dcb on Tuesday, but dcd called and said that he was diagnosed with pneumonia on Monday night. Dcd just texted and asked if it was still ok to bring dcb tomorrow. Would you accept him? He's on meds and fever free.
Crazy8 06:28 PM 05-02-2012
find out what his restrictions/limitations are. My best friends daughter just had pneumonia a week ago and she wasn't allowed to play outside for a full week. She went back to school after being on antibiotics for a day or two but had to be kept in for recess. If that isn't something you can accomodate it may be a problem. Now, I'm no medical expert so I'm not sure if that is the norm with pneumonia or not.
Beach Baby 06:37 PM 05-02-2012
Me neither...I'm thinking that he won't be contagious at all since he's on meds. My kids have asthma, so I worry about them catching something...especially when we are finally all well! (knock on wood!)
Sunchimes 07:28 PM 05-02-2012
My 19 mo old dcg just had pneumonia and RSV. Her doctor said to keep her out until she had been on antibiotics for 72 hours. In hindsight, I wish I had asked her to stay out another couple of days. Her nose was running and she had a terrible cough. But, she felt fine--played, was cheerful, no issues at all except for all the leakage. Luckily, she was my only kid for a couple of days and I was able to decontaminate everything before the other kids came back. I'm not sure if the 72 hours was related to pneumonia, RSV, or the combination.
Christian Mother 08:54 AM 05-03-2012
I had walking pneumonia and was told by my doctor i could not be around anyone for 72 hrs. I needed to be confined to bed and rest. Even though dcg is on med's she's going to still need at least 3 days of bed rest and no real physical play. I wld recommend having her out the week.
Ariana 09:07 AM 05-03-2012
My niece just had it and she was out of daycare (a centre) for a week and she's 4!!

I think Id' ask for another day just to be sure since he's so young.
Beach Baby 11:46 AM 05-07-2012
Well he wanted to bring him Friday too and I told him it isn't a good idea with the pneumonia, especially since I have other kids here. He brought him today, turns out he had a fever (100.2) and he gave him motrin before he came. Then tells me to give him more at 1. Two explosive diapers and a rising temp prompted me to call him to pick him up. I shouldn't have accepted him in the first place. I have a sick policy in my handbook...it's MY fault for not sticking with my own rules. It's like these people did not even read my handbook...they bring the kid sick, don't pay on time, etc. It's so frustrating, but even more frustrating that I don't open my mouth! I started out as a babysitter for them and decided to move towards a home daycare. I told them I needed to be paid upfront for the coming week of care. They agreed. Didn't follow the rule. (the rule was put in place because they were always late with payment!) I typed up a handbook, they agreed to my terms. Paid up front once and now did not this morning. Says in the handbook that kids with 100.2 temp or higher, diarrhea, etc. will be sent home. If their child has experienced any of those in the past 24 hrs they should not attend care. Their kid had 100.2 temp this morning, and diarrhea twice in the 2.5 hrs he was here. Total disregard for my rules. Then he says, I guess we will see how he feels for tomorrow. I'm the idiot who just says just no fever. WHY WHY WHY am I so soft? I feel bad for these people that need to work and I feel bad that I didn't accept him at all last week because he was sick. BUT who felt bad for ME as I scrubbed and sanitized my entire playroom and all the toys? ME. I'm the only one feeling bad here! This is so frustrating. So, I already screwed up (several times, I know!) and said that he could come tomorrow if no fever...how do I take that back and say that he can't come until he's 24 hrs fever free like it says in my handbook? I know, I know, I should have turned him away at the door. I know!!! Totally kicking myself for being such an idiot today.
Blackcat31 01:42 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by MamaNik:
Well he wanted to bring him Friday too and I told him it isn't a good idea with the pneumonia, especially since I have other kids here. He brought him today, turns out he had a fever (100.2) and he gave him motrin before he came. Then tells me to give him more at 1. Two explosive diapers and a rising temp prompted me to call him to pick him up. I shouldn't have accepted him in the first place. I have a sick policy in my handbook...it's MY fault for not sticking with my own rules. It's like these people did not even read my handbook...they bring the kid sick, don't pay on time, etc. It's so frustrating, but even more frustrating that I don't open my mouth! I started out as a babysitter for them and decided to move towards a home daycare. I told them I needed to be paid upfront for the coming week of care. They agreed. Didn't follow the rule. (the rule was put in place because they were always late with payment!) I typed up a handbook, they agreed to my terms. Paid up front once and now did not this morning. Says in the handbook that kids with 100.2 temp or higher, diarrhea, etc. will be sent home. If their child has experienced any of those in the past 24 hrs they should not attend care. Their kid had 100.2 temp this morning, and diarrhea twice in the 2.5 hrs he was here. Total disregard for my rules. Then he says, I guess we will see how he feels for tomorrow. I'm the idiot who just says just no fever. WHY WHY WHY am I so soft? I feel bad for these people that need to work and I feel bad that I didn't accept him at all last week because he was sick. BUT who felt bad for ME as I scrubbed and sanitized my entire playroom and all the toys? ME. I'm the only one feeling bad here! This is so frustrating. So, I already screwed up (several times, I know!) and said that he could come tomorrow if no fever...how do I take that back and say that he can't come until he's 24 hrs fever free like it says in my handbook? I know, I know, I should have turned him away at the door. I know!!! Totally kicking myself for being such an idiot today.
Hey Hun...don't be so hard on yourself .....we have ALL been there. It is hard to make the transistion from being the hired babysitter to running your own business.

Just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. You already know that no one will listen or follow the rules of your policy book unless you do so you have hte answers aready, you just need to act on them.

Dont be afraid to be firm. We have your back and will support you. The worst thing that can happen is that the family will give you notice and leave and from the sounds of the amount of stress they are causing that doesnt seem to be a bad thing....kwim?

On the other hand, they could start following the rules and turn out to be a great family. But either way, YOU can do this and you will be glad you did....no matter what the outcome.
Christian Mother 01:56 PM 05-07-2012
This is the way I started also sweety...don't get down on your self....we live and learn!

What I normally do is call after daycare kids leave and follow up with the parents asking how little guy is doing. Then ask them if he's been still running a fever even with med's in him. If dcd says that fever is gone bc of med's but returns just tell him that it's best to keep him home then for 24hrs fever free so he can rest up. He needs to be well enough to come to daycare with out the add of med's so he can play and resume his normal activities but if if this child is laying on the couch sick it's best to keep him home.
Beach Baby 02:13 PM 05-07-2012
Thanks, ladies. I was fully expecting to read what I read on here all the time...that I need a backbone! Thank you for giving me some kind words. I ended up texting dcd and told him that after thinking some more dcb needs to stay home tomorrow. That I can't continue to make exceptions and really need to follow my own rules as it's not fair to others. I told him that dcb needs to be fever free for 24 hrs before returning. He said he understood. I have always been overly empathetic and continually feel bad for people, even if they don't deserve it. I am so great with the kids, but stink at speaking my mind and making the parents follow the rules. I've thought about quitting so many times, but am glad I've stuck with it so far. Each time I use my backbone, I can feel it get stronger. It does get easier each time and does feel pretty darn good to use it! Thanks so much for the support!
Tags:pneumonia
Reply Up