Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scentsy? Not Daycare Related
cara041083 09:36 AM 05-15-2015
I am a scentsy fanatic! I always have something going to make the house smell good. My rep stopped selling it and my husband suggested that I sell it as a side business. Has anyone on here sold it before? Is it worth it? The kit is 99.00 and I can't bring my self to buy it since I don't know much about these kinds of bushiness. Any feedback would be great.
Sunshine74 10:00 AM 05-15-2015
I don't do scenery, but I am a consultant for Thirty-One. If you want, I can send you a PM with some of my thoughts, and you can ask me questions. My cousin sells Scentsy, so I can always ask her what I don't know.
cara041083 07:00 PM 05-15-2015
That would be awesome! I just mainly want to understand how the pay works and all that jazz
Mandy 06:24 AM 05-16-2015
Hello ,

I know someone already PMed you about it, but I wanted to offer my two cents in too . I have a friend on facebook who sells it and she is doing well. What happens is similar to what I used to do with AVon. You take the customer's orders, then you put the order in online (you are not paying the bill yet. It will be a bill on your account until you pay it back with your customer's money ). In terms of profit, it depends on how much you sell. For example, I sold $100 of prouduct on Avon once and I only got $10 back. For avon, if you were a newbie, you got 3 to 10 percent of your earnings. The problem you have then is asking customers repeatedly to buy your products and always looking to find new customers (ones who are not already buying stuff from another represenitive).

As my dad told me "This is the only job where you are losing money." I did not stay with them long because I was a college student at the time (The huge represenitives recruited people at my school with the promise that we got to spin the prize wheel. I spun it and they tried to get me to take this pin and paper set, but I wanted the necklace.)

I say all of this to tell you you need to weigh in your options by asking these questions:

1. How many people do you know that you can count on?

2. Could you find new customers easily?

3. How much time would you spend on it? (this is a big one to ask. The reason I say this is because you have got to ask if you have enough time for it. Dont do what I did where I spent time on it and forgot other things. If you leave no hours where you are taking care of yourself, that can be a problem...)

4. How is my income situation? If it is good, you may need to set aside a bit of money in case your customer does not pay. Dont give them the product until they paid, but some of my friends made that mistake.... If that happens, just give the product as a gift tosomeone and use the money you set aside to cover it.

I just wanted you to be aware of the risks . Chances are, your business may be successful, but always errr on the side of caution.
cara041083 06:06 PM 05-17-2015
Originally Posted by Mandy:
Hello ,

I know someone already PMed you about it, but I wanted to offer my two cents in too . I have a friend on facebook who sells it and she is doing well. What happens is similar to what I used to do with AVon. You take the customer's orders, then you put the order in online (you are not paying the bill yet. It will be a bill on your account until you pay it back with your customer's money ). In terms of profit, it depends on how much you sell. For example, I sold $100 of prouduct on Avon once and I only got $10 back. For avon, if you were a newbie, you got 3 to 10 percent of your earnings. The problem you have then is asking customers repeatedly to buy your products and always looking to find new customers (ones who are not already buying stuff from another represenitive).

As my dad told me "This is the only job where you are losing money." I did not stay with them long because I was a college student at the time (The huge represenitives recruited people at my school with the promise that we got to spin the prize wheel. I spun it and they tried to get me to take this pin and paper set, but I wanted the necklace.)

I say all of this to tell you you need to weigh in your options by asking these questions:

1. How many people do you know that you can count on?

2. Could you find new customers easily?

3. How much time would you spend on it? (this is a big one to ask. The reason I say this is because you have got to ask if you have enough time for it. Dont do what I did where I spent time on it and forgot other things. If you leave no hours where you are taking care of yourself, that can be a problem...)

4. How is my income situation? If it is good, you may need to set aside a bit of money in case your customer does not pay. Dont give them the product until they paid, but some of my friends made that mistake.... If that happens, just give the product as a gift tosomeone and use the money you set aside to cover it.

I just wanted you to be aware of the risks . Chances are, your business may be successful, but always errr on the side of caution.
Thank you so much for your imput! The deal is, is I had a rep that I use to use. All of my family and their friends used the same rep, but over time she got lazy becuase of the money and business she had that the orders started getting messed up and after a while we stopped using her. So I am thinking if nothing else I could sell to my family and then order myself lol. I think I may try it
MarinaVanessa 09:35 PM 05-17-2015
Oh how fun! I know that someone already mentioned talking to you about an opportunity and I don't want to get in the way of that but from experience with direct-sales companies (I'm currently in 2, neither in candles) the recommendation that I would give you is to interview potential sponsors.

Some things to think about before signing up through someone long-distance from you is that you won't have that in-person one-on-one training that you would get from signing on with someone generally local to you. Also, if you had someone closer you would also have the opportunity of tagging along with that person (or having that person refer you to someone else on the team) to an upcoming party that she is conducting to see her in action first-hand.

I signed up to one of my direct sales companies with a friend-of-a-friend that was out of state and I regret it terribly now. She helps me online through emails and facebook groups and also through calls, I just wish I had someone close to me that could have mentored me. I did find someone near me that was also a consultant but I found that she was nice but not exactly as enthusiastic to help me as she probably would have been had I been on her team. In other words, she was spending time and energy on me and I wasn't on her team so it wasn't going to benefit her financially in any way. I felt our meetings and phone calls were rushed and I felt guilty when I had questions for her because I felt like I was bothering her.

My other direct-sales company is WAY different. I know my sponsor directly and she is successful at not only building her own sales but also building her team up. I went with her to her parties and was able to watch, and when I was comfortable I could chime in and practice. She went to my first few parties and she offered support when she could see that I was struggling or if I didn't know an answer to a question.

Also I would SERIOUSLY recommend reading the agreement before signing up. Ask about start-up costs, website fees, auto shipments, personal sale amounts needed in order to stay active, customer return policies, advertising requirements/restriction (where can you advertise and where can't you), how long do orders take to arrive, what is the compensation program like, is it commission-based, can you order product for cash-and-carry at a discount or do you have to pay full-price and get reimbursed afterwards, how often to you get paid (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly) etc.

Just some things to keep in mind when making a decision.
Reply Up