Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>HOT!!! in SoCal Today!
Baby lady 12:00 PM 06-20-2016
102 degrees by 10:00 am!

What are you doing to beat the heat?

We did water play outside this morning, hoping for a good naptime, and we may stay in this afternoon
laundrymom 12:12 PM 06-20-2016
I will not complain about our heat.
Wow. We were out from 645 to 845. And will repeat it tomorrow but our heat is no where near yours.
Controlled Chaos 12:12 PM 06-20-2016
That's awful! My friend in San Diego was just posting about this on FB. I live in UT and we will have a few weeks of 100s and 90s are pretty common late June thru August. I tend to shift my outside time to first thing in the morning so we can get an hour in before its miserable (8:30-9:30), I even have to change all my food times with the Food Program, but its worth it. Then we might go out for 20-30 min in the afternoon depending how bad it is.

We did sprinklers today, it was 85 by 10am when we went out. I fill big tubs with water the kids play with funnels and boats. Spray bottles full of water to mist themselves (not friends! lol). I also freeze tons of ice cube trays with colorful ice and dump them in a tub for them to use like blocks until they melt. I encourage water breaks ever 10min at least. I also strategically but my picnic table with bubbles in it and a blanket with books on it in the shade to encourage them to take a break in the shade. I don't have much shade right now so I have to really entice the children into playing in those few shaded spots.
laundrymom 12:13 PM 06-20-2016
The ice is a fantastic idea!!
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
That's awful! My friend in San Diego was just posting about this on FB. I live in UT and we will have a few weeks of 100s and 90s are pretty common late June thru August. I tend to shift my outside time to first thing in the morning so we can get an hour in before its miserable (8:30-9:30), I even have to change all my food times with the Food Program, but its worth it. Then we might go out for 20-30 min in the afternoon depending how bad it is.

We did sprinklers today, it was 85 by 10am when we went out. I fill big tubs with water the kids play with funnels and boats. Spray bottles full of water to mist themselves (not friends! lol). I also freeze tons of ice cube trays with colorful ice and dump them in a tub for them to use like blocks until they melt. I encourage water breaks ever 10min at least. I also strategically but my picnic table with bubbles in it and a blanket with books on it in the shade to encourage them to take a break in the shade. I don't have much shade right now so I have to really entice the children into playing in those few shaded spots.

Controlled Chaos 12:23 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
The ice is a fantastic idea!!
Thanks! We did it inside in January for our winter theme and it was pretty easy and a big hit. And its so colorful, I got great pictures
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 06-20-2016
90+F degrees here over the weekend and baseball (Yes, I said baseball) sized hail here....and a few tornados...although none touched down long enough to do any damage in my neck of the woods but I've heard in some nearby areas, there are 1,000's without power.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/new...hern-minnesota
Attached: 13445764_10154269707089138_826456711788038362_n.jpg (34.3 KB) 13510993_10154269707264138_1564060092076456157_n.jpg (43.7 KB) 
thrivingchildcarecom 12:42 PM 06-20-2016
We went out but 10-15 minutes later had to bring them in. Gonna try to get out as early as possible this week. Thankfully it is supposed to get progressively cooler all week.
NillaWafers 01:20 PM 06-20-2016
We went out at 8:30am, we did some water table stuff. It was already 90 at 8:30. We will be staying in this afternoon because it's supposed to be 109 and no way would I let them out in that.

We might do an art project (theme is summer this week) after nap. Or maybe watch a movie since we rarely do that.
Josiegirl 04:02 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
90+F degrees here over the weekend and baseball (Yes, I said baseball) sized hail here....and a few tornados...although none touched down long enough to do any damage in my neck of the woods but I've heard in some nearby areas, there are 1,000's without power.

Wow, the dcks must've either had a great time watching the storm or been cowering in the corner. (never mind, just noticed it was over the weekend) Hail that size could do serious damage.

It hit a bit above 90 today. We played in the water this morning but stayed inside with the AC this afternoon. What can I say, I'm a big wimp.
spud912 04:54 PM 06-20-2016
Our high today was supposed to hit 122, but it was lower. Yesterday got to 122 and higher in some areas. We didn't go outside today . I HATED every minute of not being able to go out. The kids were so couped up!

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Holy cow! Hopefully nobody got hurt!!
spud912 04:56 PM 06-20-2016
Today *only* got to 116.
childcaremom 05:57 PM 06-20-2016
I'm a wimp and would have to hide in ac if I was there. It hit a high of 29 C / 84 F yesterday and that was hot enough for me.
sharlan 09:06 PM 06-20-2016
116* today. We went to the beach.
proudmommyofthree 07:57 AM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
116* today. We went to the beach.
I wish I could have went to the beach that week! I got a new client that will not let her kids go to the beach or any field trips for that matter. Which as a parent I completely understand, BUT at my interview and a few times later, field trips were discussed. When she signed up I told her I do field trips and she was "ok" with it. Well now that they started she's not. Anyway long story short, this is her last week and I will be taking the kids to the beach starting next week.
LysesKids 08:58 AM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
I wish I could have went to the beach that week! I got a new client that will not let her kids go to the beach or any field trips for that matter. Which as a parent I completely understand, BUT at my interview and a few times later, field trips were discussed. When she signed up I told her I do field trips and she was "ok" with it. Well now that they started she's not. Anyway long story short, this is her last week and I will be taking the kids to the beach starting next week.
When I took older kids (stopped 10 years ago), we went on walking field trips and this would have been a term for me also; I lived in Lafayette, IN (2003-05) 3 blocks from the Farmers market & across the street from the Library. How can someone pass up preschool story time?
Tags:hot weather
Reply Up