Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Applying For "Real" Job After Being Self-Employed
SilverSabre25 10:43 AM 06-13-2011
I happened to stumble upon a job posting for a Co-Lead teacher at a university laboratory preschool in the area--the same university I attended and I LOVED what I saw at the lab school. I'm applying because I meet the minimum requirements and they meet my salary requirements, and it's practically my dream job (since I can't just be a SAHM, that is!).

I'm curious though...when filling out the "previous positions" part of an application, how do you handle the self-employment? Also, are current/past daycare clients suitable Professional References?

I feel like on paper my qualifications look so lame...but I've got the degree and I've got the experience of doing home daycare, even if it's only for 18 months. I don't have any other previous positions that I"m putting down because my last "real" job before this was about 5 years ago, and in between I was finishing school. I want to at least apply though, because this would be such an awesome opportunity. The chance to teach at a school with methods and philosophies that so perfectly align with my own...oh, I'm salivating at the thought!
thecrazyisout 10:59 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I happened to stumble upon a job posting for a Co-Lead teacher at a university laboratory preschool in the area--the same university I attended and I LOVED what I saw at the lab school. I'm applying because I meet the minimum requirements and they meet my salary requirements, and it's practically my dream job (since I can't just be a SAHM, that is!).

I'm curious though...when filling out the "previous positions" part of an application, how do you handle the self-employment? Also, are current/past daycare clients suitable Professional References?

I feel like on paper my qualifications look so lame...but I've got the degree and I've got the experience of doing home daycare, even if it's only for 18 months. I don't have any other previous positions that I"m putting down because my last "real" job before this was about 5 years ago, and in between I was finishing school. I want to at least apply though, because this would be such an awesome opportunity. The chance to teach at a school with methods and philosophies that so perfectly align with my own...oh, I'm salivating at the thought!
Add the experience before you were home. I used to be in HR as my "career" job before I decided to do this. If you like, finish it up and I can look at it...sometimes it is the way you word things that will make is sound so much more than what you think of it.

Also, add any changes and/or accomplishments you made with your business in the past 18 months.....

Like I said, I would be happy to take a look at it since this is what I used to do all of the time!!!
Pammie 03:02 PM 06-13-2011
Instead of "Self Employed" you can put that you are currently "Owner" of your daycare. And then be sure to elaborate on all of the business/educational aspects of what you do running your current daycare. You might even note your website (which is phenomenal btw) to speak to your professionalism in running your daycare - as opposed to being a babysitting service:-)

I would think that current/past clients would be appropriate for professional references.JMO

Sounds like an exciting opportunity!!! Good luck!!!!
Sugar Magnolia 04:41 PM 06-13-2011
Oh yes, I'd list parents as professional references! I'd also play up your abilities to "multi-task", your business administrative skills, your ability to provide fun, educational activities, your creative arts and crafts, your familiarity with your states rules and regs, your attention to nutrition and health, your successes with problem children, your familiarity with developmental milestones etc, etc. EVERY little thing you do can be creatively worded into a super asset that employers value. Maybe even make a portfolio of students art, worksheets, photos of fun stuff, etc. But definitely try to get some parents to write letters of recommendation. Maybe even find out what curriculum they use and familiarize yourself with it so you can speak about it during an interview. Hope that helps. good luck!!
Sugar Magnolia 04:45 PM 06-13-2011
Great minds think alike Pammie! Lol! Like what you said about being the owner/operator instead of self employed!
SilverSabre25 05:14 PM 06-13-2011
Thanks everyone! Those are all really great suggestions. I'm so excited about this!
Reply Up