Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Day
Nickel 09:08 PM 08-23-2012
So, today was my first day! Wow! Let's just say it was a looong day lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I finally found a girl, and I'm not complaining, but I need some advice. I'm not starting my actual curriculum until Sept. So for now I'm just trying to get to know the dcks and get them into a basic routine. Breakfast, snack, lunch, nap, snack kind of thing. So I didn't have planned activities today. I figured we'd play some games and play with toys, and read stories and sing songs and by then it'd be time for pickup....

It didn't go that way at all. First dd didn't want to share toys. Then dcg has a very very short attention span. So we go outside. Blow bubbles, play on equipment, play with the cars and she's ready to go in. Not even an hour outside. We get out play doh and play sets and sit down. BTW does anyone know hot to get playdoh out of carpet? She wonders away from that. She pulls out the train set puts it away. Plays with the little people and the my little ponies (only when the babies aren't here). and walks away. She's great though. Gentle reminder and she picks up before moving on.

Skip ahead, we paint. My dd is really getting into it, she wants down. I switch to markers, nope not interested. and as soon as dcg gets down my dd wants down. I felt like we were flying through activities and she was just uninterested. We didn't even get through a whole dr suess book. Even with my funny voices and simple questions. She's smart as a wip, knows all her colors, letters, and numbers, but either she's very bored or really has no attention span. I mean, she's hoping from thing to thing. I even brought out a more advance puzzle, thinking I could challenge her. Nope, she sat for five minutes and then was done.

Tomorrow is Friday, so I'm going to ask Mom if it's okay if we watch a movie. And next week I'm definitely aiming for a trip to the library, but what do I do? How to I engage her, and any advice on fun activities that we can do. It's hard to play games when it's just the two of them. The traditional games don't really work. Imagine musical chairs with only one chair or duck duck goose with no circle to run around

I'm learning quickly that daycare center is WAY different than home daycare. It's a bit easier to have 6 preschoolers than just two little girls. And Monday it'll be two 3 year olds, one 8mnth old, and one 11mnth old. I could use some suggestions on what to do with this age group.

Sorry so long. If you've read this far please respond. I can use some pointers. And be sympathetic. Please. It's been a long day. It wasn't a bad day, and dcg is really sweet and funny. She's also very smart. Suggestions, please please please
Country Kids 10:36 PM 08-23-2012
She may have just been wanting to explore what you had since it was her first day. Routine, routine, routine is the key!

Over the weekend make out rough draft of a schedule even with times. Pencil in what works/what doesn't work. Tweek it some more and get it to the point where you are doing the same thing every day at the same time.

Candyland, HI HO Cherrio, Memory are all great games to play at that age.
spud912 10:43 PM 08-23-2012
First, it's VERY normal for children to bounce from one thing to the next the first couple of weeks. It will take about 2-4 weeks for her to slow down and get to know the swing of things.

Second, don't feel the need to entertain the children all of the time. Let them free play with the toys you have out. Doing so will help them learn how to play and use their imagination.

Third, expect Monday to be somewhat chaotic with the entire group, especially since you are adding a second age group that is younger. Also know that it will get much better with time once you have settled into things. I would divide and conquer. Set up a safe place for the young children to play away from the older children and give the older children plenty of opportunities to learn their new environment and free play.

I'm sure everyone will pipe in with some great advice as well. The most important thing to remember is that it does get better once you find your groove!
Nickel 06:10 AM 08-24-2012
So, dcm just informed me that dcg got excepted into headstart and she starts school on Monday. I'm sort of crushed. because all my other enrollees are babies. I really was looking forward to having someone for my dd to play with. With all of the MDO, PreK, and headstart programs and sahm in the area, I don't think I'm going to find another 3 year old. I'm going to advertise, but I think I lost my window of opportunity with school starting on Monday. I'm so bummed and I feel so bad for dd. She's met so many different children and now her new friend is leaving. She's going to be so sad Wish me luck that I can find another over 2yr old.
DCBlessings27 06:16 AM 08-24-2012
I've had my dcg (3) since she was 8months. She only plays with anything for brief periods. She's definitely the first one done with any activity. Yesterday, she was done playing with playdoh in 5 minutes while the others continued to play. She moved on to something else but came back to help clean up. I don't do a curriculum because my dcks are not interested in sitting. Instead, we learn through playing. For example, my dd likes to play waitress. I write a number on the "bill," and she's learning her numbers.

We play duck duck goose but not in the traditional way. My kids don't understand the chasing around a circle thing, so I adapted it. I play with them and after "goose," I tell everyone to run. They love it and settle back as soon as I tell them to. We do play outside only so that we're not running in the house.

You'll figure out a routine, but I agree with not interacting with the kids the whole time. My dcks free play a lot, and they have great imaginations!
bluemoose_mom 06:32 AM 08-24-2012
I'll come back on later, but I'm a 5 year center veteran and a 4 month old new daycare provider (also with a young dd, almost 3), so I think I can give some good advice, at least what's worked for me.

Expect me back at nap time!
Fruitloops1 02:51 PM 08-24-2012
I feel ya!! Its my second week and my 15 month old still takes a morning nap and it THROWS everything off!!! I have a itty bitty starting in September (just 2 days a week) and I know once that happens my whole schedule will be thrown for a loop again. Once I get my license I REALLY need to sign on some more 2's and 3's for my current 2 year old. She needs a friend. The 15 month old wants nothing to do with her.
daycare 04:05 PM 08-24-2012
I teach here and I can maybe give you a few tips that work well for me..

new kids I always try to just get them used to our routine, I don't expect for them to participate. Once they have the routine down, then I help them with our transitions and get involved with our lessons.

At this age, don't expect them to sit for any length of time to do any particular activity.

I start with a morning circle time, all kids attend but are not forced. But it's so much fun that no one ever misses it. The kids do most of the talking during circle time while I and other listen. Then we dance, sign, read and then do it again in that order. We do it every single day. sometimes instead of a book, its a puppet show or a small felt board story. M_W_F we have music/dance. Just about everything that we do involves movement.

Also, I set up my day in the morning before kids arrive and finish while they are eating breakfast.....this really helps. If all else fails, they play toys, I don't play with them. I sit back and watch them create their own learning environment of make believe...

lastly, don't stress if your day is not going as planned. To be honest I cant say that we have ever had a day that we actually stuck to my plans....
Reply Up