Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Difficult Decision
gbcc 08:10 AM 01-04-2010
Basically I have 2 families who only use me on days there is school. On days off they go somewhere else. There are 3 children total.

I just got a phone call that a mom needs care for 3 school agers and it will be days off/summers as well. I feel bad about doing this but I am thinking that I will give my current 2 families the choice to either hire me on full time or find another place to go.

Is that right to do? I feel bad but this is a business. What would you do and if you would give them the choice what is a professional way to state it? I am thinking in a letter that I personally hand to them.
momma2girls 08:21 AM 01-04-2010
I personally have never had it happen to me before, but I think I would do that.
I have a little girl that comes 2 days a week, and I originally told her parents I normally have a 3 day min. there are tons of daycare providers in my area, that do nothing but fulltime children, for that reason. Otherwise if they want parttime, they pay for a fulltime spot.
Now if I found a fulltime older child, to take the little girl coming 2 days a week, I would sadly have to tell them, I can't watch the little girl any longer, or they would have to pay for more fulltime, possibly 3 or more days. I would really hate to do that, but I keep a very small daycare, and I think I would have to do that.
What do other providers do for fulltime or partime children in their care. Do you charge a min. amt. for a min. # of days? DO you have only fulltime children, etc....
Thanks!!
gbcc 08:43 AM 01-04-2010
Well for daytime children they pay full time regardless of the days/hours they are here. If I am desperate for money I may take a part timer but they understand they are replaced as soon as I have the opportunity unless they want to pay for full time. I was desperate for money when these parents approached me so I didn't say anything about it. That was also a year ago when I didn't think through part time care and my policies have since changed I just didn't change theirs.
jen 09:27 AM 01-04-2010
That's what I would do! A couple of years ago I decided not to take part-timers anymore. I offered the family that was part time to go full time but let them know that if they didn't take the full time spot, I couldn't keep the kids. They totally understood...and they are still here!
mac60 09:35 AM 01-04-2010
I would offer them the spot ft and let them take it from there.
I have a minimum of 3 days per week.
[email protected] 09:51 AM 01-04-2010
I let part time know (and it is in my contract) that they can be replaced by full time at any time and I will give them the option to go full time if I have someone wanting a full time spot because they were here first (unless they are a pain in the rear)
Their childcare needs have no bearing on your income needs. You take care of YOU first,.. everyone else comes in second.
momma2girls 09:57 AM 01-04-2010
I totally agree!!
gbcc 11:02 AM 01-04-2010
Everyone says I am too nice and it doesn't do me justice for running my own business! Thanks everyone!
momma2girls 11:15 AM 01-04-2010
you do learn over the yrs. of doing daycare, be strong and stand up to things better than when you 1st started.
You do go thru alot the more yrs. you do daycare. You think it's all going great, then someone has to put stress in your life, more than what you already have. LOL!!!! You do learn alot!!!!
melissa ann 11:42 AM 01-04-2010
I have a 3 day min rate. I also state in my contract that if someone needs full-time that the part-timers will be replaced unless they are willing to pay the full-time rate.
gbcc 03:13 PM 01-04-2010
So, I told both my part time families and they were both really upset. One said it was because the other provider was like family to them since they are 9 and 7 and she has had them since they were 6wks old. I understand that, but still not fair to me. The other family said it was because the other provider was cheaper. I got mad at that so I said "well that's great for you and her and you are able to have a great christmas and mine sucks because people don't care if i get paid." Then I said "I just can't be taken advantage of anymore and I need to do what is right for my business and my family and they may not meet everyones needs". She then asked if she could call in September and I told her she could, but chances are there wont be a spot. She said she can't do it financially so I told her she had 2 wks. She pays me $10 per day that the kid is here. That's it. Then she is supposed to be picked up by 5:30 and she never gets here until 5:45. She is completely taking advantage of me. Her other provider charges $125 for 2 kids. She lives in a different town so she can't ride the bus there. I should turn her in!! Just kidding. I am just frustrated. That just goes to show what little repect she has for me and what I do for her and her children.
gbcc 06:03 PM 01-04-2010
One of the moms that I told I could no longer care for part time and they could go full time just called me a bit ago and tried telling me that she found someone else and they could start Monday. I told her she still needed to pay me 2 wks either way and she had a fit. I just asked her if she kept a copy of the policy and she said it was my fault for firing them. Lol!! I told her I didn't fire her I gave her an option and she choose to leave. She seems to be trying to make me feel like crap. Not to pull the single mother crap but how does she think I feed my child if I don't get paid, it's not like I have a spouse to suppliment income. I just think $125 for 2 kids is crazy. I would charge her $130 for the all day child and then I normally would charge $75 but gave her a break. She will learn, you get what you pay for.

This is the same mom I complained about last wk. Asking me what her 5 year old child got into when she began throwing up.

I hate these parents that ruin it for everyone else. I gave her a hell of a deal because they are not very well off and this is what I get....
momma2girls 06:06 PM 01-04-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
One of the moms that I told I could no longer care for part time and they could go full time just called me a bit ago and tried telling me that she found someone else and they could start Monday. I told her she still needed to pay me 2 wks either way and she had a fit. I just asked her if she kept a copy of the policy and she said it was my fault for firing them. Lol!! I told her I didn't fire her I gave her an option and she choose to leave. She seems to be trying to make me feel like crap. Not to pull the single mother crap but how does she think I feed my child if I don't get paid, it's not like I have a spouse to suppliment income. I just think $125 for 2 kids is crazy. I would charge her $130 for the all day child and then I normally would charge $75 but gave her a break. She will learn, you get what you pay for.

This is the same mom I complained about last wk. Asking me what her 5 year old child got into when she began throwing up.

I hate these parents that ruin it for everyone else. I gave her a hell of a deal because they are not very well off and this is what I get....
Yes, unfortunately this has happened quite a bit to me in the last 5 yrs.
Carole's Daycare 10:15 AM 01-05-2010
I also have a 3 day min rate, and my contract states that for school agers to have space they must pay for all holidays and vacations such as Christmas break, teacher workdays etc. I make clear if someone doesnt want summers or plan to use me regularly they will be bumped if a full-time or full year option is available. I also make clear I give preferential hiring for school agers that come with a younger sibling. My house is across the street from a school in a district plagued by bussing issues, so I can be picky. Absolutely offer the other families the full time option first in a professionally worded letter is a good choice. If all three are not from the same family though, you may still have to let them all go to take on this new opportunity, depending on your space.
Carole's Daycare 10:21 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:

I understand- I've felt sorry for a parents hard luck tale and gave rates like that, then when I tried to raise them even a small amt- $10/wk to help me get by they threw a fit, accused me of doing a bad job and found another sucker. What made it worse was finding out both parents were well employed, they just spent too much- they had two boats - snowmobiles etc- even the 5 yr old had a 4 wheeler, while I was struggling to get by. Families that don't prioritize their childrens daycare in their budget and are willing to shortcut it dont have their priorities straight, and end up being real challenges to work with. You have to be consistent or they'll take advantage of you, and your family deserves financial security.
Tags:placement, spots
Reply Up