Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Not Being Run Properly
My Nana 08:41 AM 12-02-2010
How would I go about reporting a daycare that is not being run properly. I have picked up my granddaughter and see many things that are not being done by requirement of the state. I have also asked around and found out that the Director of the Daycare sleeps sometimes during the day for 2 hours while the only other employee that works there handles everything. Also she has listed a former employee as the Assistant Director and she know longer works there. She will fill in when the director is gone, but does not work everyday only maybe 3 times a month. She also has 10-12 kids (ranging in age from 18 mos to 4 years of age) in one room with one adult. I know this is a safety issue. Please help!
jen 10:30 AM 12-02-2010
Contact daycare licensing for your state.
Crystal 12:06 PM 12-02-2010
What state are you in?

It really depends on the state, because some of the things you have mentioned are legal here in Ca.

For instance, the assistant director does not have to be there if they are only used as a back up for when the director is out.....

in ca. the children must be 2 and over to be co-mingled ages, they can be from 2-5 years and be together, but some states do not have that requirement. Also, here,in a center, a teacher can have 12 children by herself.

As far as the sleeping, if she is within ratios, then she can sleep if she wants too.

NOW, some of these things are not very professional and not things I would ever do, but if it's a matter of professionalism, then all you can really do is give notice and move on. Unless you like the place, then you could talk to the director about your concerns.

But, yes, check your state regs, and then call licensing to report if she's not following regs.
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 12-02-2010
I agree with Crystal...some of the things mentioned are legal in certain states. In MN we can have up to 12 kids alone. I also know a provider who naps when the kids do and has been doing it for her whole 25 yrs in business. Parents know and are obviously ok with it because she is always full and has waiting lists. I think our rules say we just need to be within sight and/or hearing of a child and available to provide assistance when needed. (something like that) So location does matter.
I also agree that alot of it isn't very professional but I guess that is why it is called self-employment.
My Nana 12:27 PM 12-02-2010
This daycare is located in Texas. I guess I do find it very unprofessional how she runs the daycare. Had my children been in this daycare and I walked in and the Director was asleep on the floor, they would have been taken out immediately. As far as the children being all in the same room....it's very hard when you are trying to prepare the 4 year olds for pre-k/kinder when you have 18-month olds running around.
Crystal 01:52 PM 12-02-2010
My Nana, with all due respect, I disagree with you.

I care for children from infancy through schoolage, all in the same room. I have 14 children. I provide a very High Quality early care and education program and my children go to school very well prepared to be successful. They are typically already reading, writing and understand many basic math and science concepts by the time they are 4. They ahve excellent social skills and can get along with children from multiple age groups and backgrounds because they have grown up in my program, side by side with younger and older children. Unless there is some evidence that the children are not being prepared for school, then I think it is wrong to assume that they cannot receive a quality "education" in a multi-age group.

But, yes, asleep on the floor, I'd be questioning the director on that one. In fact, I would have woken her up and asked her why she thought this practice was acceptable.
Crystal 01:53 PM 12-02-2010
MyNana, here are your state regs:

https://www.daycare.com/texas/texas_...licensing.html
Michael 01:55 PM 12-02-2010
Child Care Licensing Agency
Department of Protective and Regulatory Services
P.O. Box 149030
M.C. E-550
Austin, TX 78714-9030
Phone: Day Care Hotline: (800) 862-5252
or (512) 438-3269
Fax: (512) 438-3848
Crystal 01:58 PM 12-02-2010
§746.1703
If I have 12 or fewer children in care, may I combine infants with children 18 months and older?
Subchapter E, Child/Caregiver Ratios and Group Sizes
Division 3, Classroom Ratios and Group Sizes for Centers When 12 or Fewer Children are in Care
09/01/03
Yes. If you have 12 or fewer children in care, infants may be cared for with older children without regard to age, although you must ensure the safety of all children in the group.
Crystal 02:01 PM 12-02-2010
The number of children one caregiver may supervise when 12 or fewer children are present at the child-care center is specified in the following ratio chart and is based on the number of children in each age category:
Number of children 0-17 months old
Number of children 18 months - 4 years old
Number of children 5 years old and older
Maximum number of children to be supervised by one caregiver
8 - 18 months -4 year old
4 - school age
With a total of 12.

IF she does not have children over 4 and one teacher is supervising 12 children, she is out of compliance.
My Nana 04:09 PM 12-02-2010
Thank you all so much for the input. Very Helpful
Tags:complaints, report, texas
Reply Up