Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>She's NOT Potty Trained.......GRRRR
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:24 AM 01-28-2013
DCM still insisting that DCG is potty trained. Took her twice to the potty.

She pooped and peed her pants already.

Have any of you just put them in their pull ups/ diapers anyways, even thought the parents insist they are potty trained?

I cant afford to lose this child but they want her potty trained. I have told them she is not ready yet.
CedarCreek 10:42 AM 01-28-2013
Yes, I will put them in pull ups if they are not showing me that they are ready to be potty trained. Are the parents still providing the diapers/pull ups?
Play Care 10:43 AM 01-28-2013
My policy is the same as the pp's. I always keep extra pull ups on hand just in case (then the parents can't say they "forgot" since their child is potty trained )
blandino 10:46 AM 01-28-2013
Yes, after two accidents children need to wear training pants in my care, and they are not allowed to wear training pants if they are using them like diapers (meaning for the majority of their urinating & bowel movements).

I have absolutley told a parent that their child needed to be in diapers/training pants until they have these established (and have been accident free for 10 consecutive daycare days)
daycarediva 10:46 AM 01-28-2013
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59267

I just posted this! LOL!

A different kid-
I have one dcb who is 'potty trained' at home. Mom INSISTS he is 100% accident free at home. I asked dcd. "Well if you count pooping and peeing on the floor trained...." They just let him roam naked, that's not trained! Dad says he isn't sure how many accidents are going 'unnoticed' (translate=not cleaned up!) GROSS! I had a frank discussion with her about his level of training outside the home. Apparantly they don't take him out in undies. He has accidents. Good, out is my house too. He now comes in pullups, has never once peed or pooped on the potty and refuses if asked. He JUST turned two.
blandino 11:06 AM 01-28-2013
I have recently come to the realization, that some people don't necessarily care that their child is "potty trained" as they do that they are out of diapers. I have had numerous clients who don't seem to care if their child is having 5 accidents a day, as long as they aren't in diapers - they are happy. I would much rather deal with a parent who waits until 2.5/3 to potty train with little or no accidents than someone who is pushing for potty training before two and is fine with multiple accidents a day.
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:07 AM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Yes, I will put them in pull ups if they are not showing me that they are ready to be potty trained. Are the parents still providing the diapers/pull ups?
She gave me a few pull ups this morning and I still have some of her diapers left over.

I have no problem taking her to the potty, but she never tells me she has to go and yes to the other pp they let her run around naked all day to just let her pee.

I think she is too young still. she just turned 2 in November.
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:10 AM 01-28-2013
I have also told her that it is unsanitary for her to be having accidents all over my carpets, especally with crawling babies here.
CedarCreek 11:14 AM 01-28-2013
I would just keep doing what you are doing then. Let her sit on the potty when you go to change her diaper just so she can be used to it. But keep her in the pull ups and explain to Mom that you cant have her in underwear with her having so many accidents. It takes attention away from the other children you are watching if you are cleaning up her potty messes all day long and that's not fair to them.

She probably is still too young. I had a Mom pushing for her son to PT right when he turned 2 in August. She would bring him in underwear and I learned really quick to change him into a diaper after she left. He is in no way ready. He barely talks!
CedarCreek 11:15 AM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
I have also told her that it is unsanitary for her to be having accidents all over my carpets, especally with crawling babies here.
GOOD!
bunnyslippers 11:16 AM 01-28-2013
I am having this same issue here. This little angel (also only 2) has poop accidents every blessed day. And mom is worried that I am "ruining her confidence" when I put her back in a pull-up.

I explained that I can't let this child poop in her underpants then play until the accident is discovered. I blatantly said, "I know you don't want her playing in a room filled with traces of poop, and none of the other families do, either." That made her think a bit about it...
CedarCreek 11:20 AM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I am having this same issue here. This little angel (also only 2) has poop accidents every blessed day. And mom is worried that I am "ruining her confidence" when I put her back in a pull-up.

I explained that I can't let this child poop in her underpants then play until the accident is discovered. I blatantly said, "I know you don't want her playing in a room filled with traces of poop, and none of the other families do, either." That made her think a bit about it...

Ruining her confidence? Please..

I love what you said to her! Haha, awesome!
Starburst 09:08 PM 01-28-2013
The reason she may be "potty trained" at home is because she has 1 on 1 with her parents and they have more flexability with only her (and possibly a sibling) where they can watch for special cues and take her potty every 5 minutes or just letter her sit on the potty forever. They need to try to set up more of a routine to see if she is really potty trained or if they just let her on the potty for a long time so she will go in the potty. Maybe ask them how often they take put her on the potty, does she go every 1/2 hour or every hour? If its every half hour (or less) than no wonder she doesn't have accidents at home because she doesn't get much of a chance to learn how to hold it in (which can lead to a weak bladder).

In my contract I would put something like {different options}:
"I do not consider a child in my care "fully potty trained" until they can go at least {1 or 2} weeks without any accidents during the day {including/not including} nap time. If a child 3 or under has {1, 2, or 3 or more} accidents during potty training program they will be required to attend DC wearing pull ups until they can go {1 or 2} days without an accident in their pull up. I will not start potty training a child at daycare until I can {see/feel} that the child (not the parent) is physically, emotionally, and all around developmentally ready for it."- If you charge a different rate for potty children than children in diapers than you can also add something like " The potty trained rate will not be applied until the child can go {1 or 2} weeks without any potty related accidents".
Tags:potty trained - not
Reply Up